Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Early Medieval (12th century) figures  (Read 4012 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Early Medieval (12th century) figures
« on: October 15, 2015, 03:46:54 PM »
I'm looking for Early Medieval figure - flat topped helms, mail armour, 'heater' shields.
I'm aware of the old Foundry Barons' War figures - but they have only 3 mounted knights in the range.
I'm also aware of the Essex range which is quite good, but old-sih
Are they any other contenders?
Most Medieval stuff is the later fellows in plate armour with no shields, or is later Crusaders with turbans on their helmets.
I'm not after those - I'm after Matilda and Stephen chasing each other through the snow in their night garments.

Offline Gjlsnowma

• Assistant
    • Battles In The Snow
Re: Early Medieval (12th century) figures
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »
fireforge miniatures has a good box set of plastics.

http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/men-at-arms/foot-sergeants-details

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
Thanks - yes those look useful, as do the mounted versions.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »
I find the weapons on Fireforge figures comically large, but I suppose it would be easy enough to shorten shafts etc.

Essex do separate shields in their equipment range so you may be able to request only flat-topped kite variants from them?

Curteys do separate heads in assorted styles, but I'm not sure whether Curteys heads would match with Fireforge bodies?

Sorry to be so unhelpful!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:14:43 AM »
First off, you have good taste sir. The Anarchy is a fascinating bit of history. I was inspired to collect an army aimed at representing The Anarchy and the subsequent reign of Henry II.

The Fireforge minis may not be quite apropriate for your needs. They're modeled with "Poleyns" on their knees, which are a mid 13th century innovation. The heater shields are also more of a 13th century thing. In the mid 12th century, kite shields with flat tops should be the more common thing. The flat topped helmets you're looking for are also only appropriate for the final decade or two of the 12th century. Variations on the so called "norman" conical helmets would remain rather popular even into the first decades of the 13th century.

The Perry Brothers 1st Crusade range is fantastically sculpted, and the equipment should be plausible for the 12th century, with one unfortunate caveat. The Perrys sculpt almost all of their men-at-arms with short sleeved mail. This will be suitable for poor sergeants from your time period, but By the 12th century, well equipped soldiers would be wearing long sleeved mail. The Perry brothers don't sculpt very many of them, so you'll have to look elsewhere for your Knights and Lords.

The only company I've been able to find that sculpts what would be the top-of-the-line armaments for the mid 12th century is Black Tree Designs. Their 2nd crusade range is exactly what you need, Long sleeved mail with norman helmets (a few flat topped)  and kite shields. Most importantly, they aren't wearing Surcoats! In my army, I use Perry for my infantry and Black Tree for my cavalry.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:17:28 AM by jauntyharrison »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 06:24:37 AM »
The only company I've been able to find that sculpts what would be the top-of-the-line armaments for the mid 12th century is Black Tree Designs. Their 2nd crusade range is exactly what you need, Long sleeved mail with norman helmets (a few flat topped)  and kite shields. Most importantly, they aren't wearing Surcoats! In my army, I use Perry for my infantry and Black Tree for my cavalry.

That's pretty much a good summary but there it is debatable just when surcoats were introduced. The Winchester Bible's illuminations has men at arms wearing surcoats in the year it was commissioned around 1180 so surcoats may well have been worn by the upper echelons of the nobility by this date, thus a surcoat may well be appropriate on some of the mini's by the time of the Third Crusade:

(It's worth noting the length of the garments and making the distinction between the Cappa of the Hospitallers and the Templars and the surcoats worn by the nobility.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:35:03 PM by Atheling »

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
Regarding sourcing miniatures for this period, if one wants to use more than just the black tree design miniatures, it is a case of looking at the applicable ranges that span both sides of the period and seeing what might fit, although I think you have to rely on what sources you can find, but also make a decision about what might be acceptable

For instance, did everyone really stop wearing short sleeved mail? Or is it more probability that there would have still been a mixture of long and short, perhaps worn by poorer less well equipped troops. It may be you have to buy packs of miniatures, use the ones that 'fit' and then sell those that don't on here...

Don't overlook ranges that might at first hand, not appear to have anything useful- Crusaders El Cid range, has some quite interesting packs for example... Curtneys miniatures have some potentially useful stuff for lowly foot soldiers if you have a trawl through their western medieval range.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm aware that the Anarchy should really use figures that just look like very late Normans, but I love those flat-topped helms with swan's heads and such like on top. But not those pointy things on the knees, those are just ridiculous.
I think that between Foundry and Essex I can satisfy most of my needs.
I was planning on buying some Perry crusades figures anyway for Crescent & Cross (and I guess the Gripping Beast crsuades stuff would also be useable).

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:38:10 AM »
It looks like the Later Crusader range from Crusader Miniatures will satisfy most of my requirements. Nice looking figures, and a lot cheaper than Foundry.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
It looks like the Later Crusader range from Crusader Miniatures will satisfy most of my requirements. Nice looking figures, and a lot cheaper than Foundry.

They are more 1250 onward but they are very nice miniatures :) With the addition of some converted Polyns etc they could be used for the Wars of Edward I up to the start of the Sottish Wars of Independence.

Darrell.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Curtis do some bang-on 12th century figures, with a selection of interchangeable heads.

I also admire those Crusader lads.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 05:22:40 AM »
Ho, I'm the one from the other thread, looking for the same thing, yet calling it "2nd crusade". Take a look at that thread, there is summer complementary piece of advice that could turn useful. Good search!
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 05:06:16 AM »
I received today my BTD models (2nd crusade foot knights)  Far from my expectations the goods arrived quickly, the sculpt is much better than shown on site's pics and the cast is reasonably good. I think I'll buy the mounted minis as well.  A good surprise!