Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave Scenarios and Terrain Discussion - Updated for Thaw of the Lich Lord  (Read 21793 times)

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
Each of the Frostgrave scenarios has different terrain, objective marker, and sometimes monster requirements. I'd like to break them down, and then discuss aquiring and bulding appropriate models for each.

I already have notes for all the missions, and pictures of terrain I have worked on for each scenario, and will update this thread as time allows me to.

I look forward to updating this post as the thread progresses.

Mausoleum

- A building, at least 6 inches long on each side, to represent the Mausoleum itself.
- 6 Treasure Tokens, pretty standard part of a Frostgrave Terrain Collection
- 6+ Skeletons. You're going to deploy 4 at the beggining of the game and 1 additional each turn of the game. You will be able to recycle skeleton models as they are destoyed during the game.

Genie in Bottle
- No specific Terrain.
- 6 Treasure Tokens
- Genie Model. The Genie is unique that he is the only monster in the Frostgrave Rulebook that is not included in the Bestiary.

The Silent Tower
- The Tower - a 10" tower with with 3 levels, and 2 additional buildings, with connecting walk ways, adjacent to it, to serve as additional entry points.
- 5 Treasure Tokens
- No Bestiary Requirement

The Library

- While the Library scenario can be played with straegically placed standard terrain, it is best if you have a collection of dungeon walls and bookshelves.
- 4 exit points, ideally doorways of some sort.
- 6 Treasure Tokens
Hallweenville's  
Hallweenville's  
Ben'sRPGPile's

The Living Museum

- 4 Walls, to serve as the remains of the museum
- 6 Statues, nothing too big, as theses will animate and attack as medium constructs
- 6 Treasure Tokens

The living Museum has to be the biggest meat grinder of all the basic scenarios. 6 treasures, all within 12" of each other, guarded by 6 constructs. To get the treasure, you not only have to fight the constructs, but you are most certainly going to stumble across the other Wizard's forces, at very short range.

The Worm Hunt
- No specific Terrain.
- 6 Treasure Tokens
- Giant Worm models. I don't believe there is an official model yet.
to make your own.
Reaper Miniatures has an inexpensive suitable model
- 100XP to any warband that slays a Giant Worm

The Haunted Houses
- 6 small stone huts, with open roofs
- 6 Treasure Tokens
- 0-6 Wraiths
Check for Wraiths upon first entering each hut. Place Wraith against back wall on a 16-20.
25% chance per hut, 6 huts, spawns an average of 2 Wraiths per encounter.
50XP per Wraith destroyed by wizard's warband

The Well of Dreams and Sorrows
- 6 Treasure Tokens
- 1 piece of well terrain. There is no size requirement, but the image on the adjacent page has a well inches across, with no top, and not of the variety Timmy would be prone to fall into.
- 100XP to any Wizard who spends an action to drink from well.
- Any model pushed into well is removed from play, treated as killed

The Keep

- 6 Treasure Tokens (1 on each pad, 2 remaining in center of board)
- 4 2" disks, placed in a cross formation, each 12" away from board center, to serve as teleportation pads.
Once per mission, each Wizard can earn 50XP for teleporting from one pad to another.

The Complex Temple
- 6 Treasure Tokens
- 6 Columns, that animate when attacked

Thaw of the Lich Lord Scenarios

10 New scenarios included in the Thaw of the LIch Lord Campaign Supplement

1. Total Eclipse
Your warbands brave Felstad during an eclispe. Things get dark and magic gets more powerful.
- Standard Setup
- Diminished line of sight throughout the scenario and a special Spell casting bonus on turn 5, for those under the full eclipse.
- 50 bonus XP to any Wizard on the Table turn 5

2. Battle on the River
Your warbnds exlpore a ship/ruins out on a frozen river, and they discover they are not alone.
-Break out the ruined ships, if you have them, other than that break out the ruins. Most of the board is considered frozen river
- Taking a second movement action requires a Fight test. Failure knocks your model prone and requires an action to get back up.
This scenario also introduces the first NPC spell caster. You'll have to fight a mage to gain entry to the central ruins.
- 25xp to a wizard who walks on the frozen river, and 50 XP to they warband that defeats the mage

3. Loot the Cart
Your warband encounters a supply wagon, srrounded by some unsavory looking fellows.
- Place a broken down wagon/cart and 4 Death Cultists in the center of the board. Fill the rest of the board as usual.
- Fight Death Cultists, loot in the wagon, and be quick about it. The cultists have Ghoul reinforcements.
- Treasure counters form the wagon are worth an additional 20Gp
- Defeating the cultists and Ghouls is worth 10Xp each.

Jubbs71 has a brief tutorial on how to make a wagon with Dollar Store ingredients

4. The Storm of Undeath
Can your warband survie the elements and loot the treasure while avoiding getting struck by lightning ?
- 12" open square in the center of the board with only treasures and skeleton counters/models
- The snowstorm reduces visibility and incurs penalties to all ranged attacks, magic or otherwise.
- After the first few turns there is chance of a lightning strike in the opening. Anyone caught in the opening during the lightning strike suffers an attack from the lightning.
Soldiers killed by the lighting become revenants, and all the skeletons in the square animate and attack.
-10XP for defeating a skeleton
-20Xp for defeating a revenant
-20XP for the Wizard entering the sqaure after the lightning strike
-50XP for a Wizard who was in the sqaure during the lightning strike

If you have questions, suggestions, and or links, please comment with them, and I'll try to work them into the article.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:50:21 PM by Awesome Adam »

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
Re: Adam's Frostgrave Scenario Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 02:25:45 AM »
re: Silent Tower
I'm a bit unsure about playing interiors with a 3+ level tower. Things could get pretty busy on multiple levels. I found a Thundercats Tower of Omens at an indoor flea market. Am thinking about changing "tower" to "obelisk" and building exterior scaffolding for model placement. I guess if the tower is ruined enough to reach in without unstacking the levels to play...

IMO, this is the coolest scenario but the most difficult to realize on the tabletop.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to watching your progress.

I've just watched the giant worm tutorial, it looks really good, as do some of his other tutorials. Thanks for the link

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »
The silent tower does seem to have the most demanding setup requirements, but yeah, it's a pretty cool concept for a scenario. It's pretty much a great oppertunity to make a nice big centerpiece.

DMScotty has a lot of great vids, and he pretty much adds new content every week. Eventually, I'll get around to making one of those worms myself.

Thank you for the feedback.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
Some useful tips from this video. It is for a Library encounter in D&D, but there are a lot of tips that could for for Frostgrave's library scenario.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
Thank you for sharing the video.

Similar videos you will want to watch if building a library are:
Hallweenville's 
Hallweenville's 
which were expanded upon from
DMGinfo's Crafting Dungeon tiles and items series

There is a tons of useful crafting info in those videos, although they are a bit more centered around making dungeon terrain than ancient ruins, the techniques they illustrate can be quite useful.

Offline Urquhart

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
Good videos!!! I'm looking for bookshelves and some potions/scrolls...
“Youth is not made for pleasure but for heroism” - Paul Claudel
New Missions and ideas for Frostgrave topic
Felstad's incursions topic

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »
I think those videos are invaluable since I think Frostgrave is going in that direction anyway!
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 12:45:06 AM »
I was adding notes for The Well of Dreams and Sorrows scenario and I remembered a video on fountain making that would be helpful for anyone lloking for ideas on how to make a larger well.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 12:52:43 AM »
I got onto World Works Games to see if they had any bookcases in their props when I realized that I already had one of their fantasy sets with a bookcase prop.

If anyone has bought WWG sets in the past, I'd suggest checking your sets to see if you already have bookcases. 2D is good enough for me for something I need a lot of, but only use for a single scenario.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »
Great suggestion !

It's funny you mentioned it because I've found various papercraft bookshelves from different  artists/manufacturers in my archives, but I was holding off mentioning them until I had built a few and took some pictures.

If you go to boardgamegeek you can find a free printable version of the Heroquest bookshelf.

I'll eventually add some pics of 5" long book shelves I'm making from popsicle sticks that I was going to attach to 6" ruined walls.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
The Living Museum
- 4 Walls, to serve as the remains of the museum
- 6 Statues, nothing too big, as theses will animate and attack as medium constructs
- 6 Treasure Tokens

The living Museum has to be the biggest meat grinder of all the basic scenarios. 6 treasures, all within 12" of each other, guarded by 6 constructs. To get the treasure, you not only have to fight the constructs, but you are most certainly going to stumble across the other Wizard's forces, at very short range.

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 12:22:38 AM »
Are you sure you need 6 wraiths for the Haunted House scenario? I thought you roll for the wraith only once (when someone enters the building for the first time).

Otherwise thanks for useful overview :)

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 01:32:04 AM »
Are you sure you need 6 wraiths for the Haunted House scenario? I thought you roll for the wraith only once (when someone enters the building for the first time).

Otherwise thanks for useful overview :)

I just read the scenario. It's 6 huts and potentially a wraith in each one.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 03:04:09 AM »
Wraith in hut on a 16-20, so a 25% chance per hut, 6 huts, so it's technically 0-6 with an average of 2.

I'll add that to the scenario description