Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690600
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 851
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave Scenarios and Terrain Discussion - Updated for Thaw of the Lich Lord  (Read 21788 times)

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
Re: Adam's Frostgrave Scenario Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 03:37:22 AM »
re: Silent Tower
I'm a bit unsure about playing interiors with a 3+ level tower.

The tower doesn't actually need to have interiors, it just needs to be 3 stories and 10" tall.
I think the point of mentioning the stories is so that you include something at each level that a miniature can stand on, as no one should be able to scale it in single move, and all magic is nullified on anyone in contact with any of the 3 buildings.

Offline Nooblord

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
For the columns in the Complex Temple I use Marks and Spencer wedding cake pillars.

Paid about £5 for 4 (3 inches high) but as they are made of plaster you can easily cut them in half for your 6 pillars plus 2 left over for scatter terrain, plinths for statues etc.

Much better than the hard plastic pillars as you can smash the plaster ones up good and proper for ruined terrain :)

For the well/fountain I use the Airfix 1/72 City Fountain which is a single resin piece and just the right size I think. For other scenarios the fountain just pulls duty as regular terrain so I get full use out of it.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
Nice find NoobLord !

Measures 100mm x 100mm with a 30mm height
Unpainted resin model.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 08:25:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing the YouTube links, some really interesting vids. I've made two bookshelves full of books and potion bottles after watching them, and am sure to build more scenery bits in the near future to decorate my games.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:32:07 PM by tyrionhalfman »

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
I've been scratchbuilding most of the buildings. The Wizard's Tower for me was actually the easiest. I originally cut 6 equal panels of foamcore, approximately 10" long and 3" wide. I cut windows into the panels and then I beveled the sides to connect. Unfortunately,I miscalculated the angle of the bevel and ended up building a pentagon shaped tower instead of a hex shaped tower. Maybe fortunately, as it actually looks better as a pentagon. I glued the panels together and let the whole thing dry. Then I cut a portion of the tower wall out to "ruin" it and open it up for game play. I'm working on putting some ruined floors in as well.

The Monk's huts and the accompanying wraiths - well, the huts are simple to build and I'm getting 6 Reaper Bones' ghosts figs for the wraiths.

The Mausoleum is another scratch build and I picked up a box of wargames factory's skeletons to build up for the scenario and random encounters. It also comes with lots of bits I can use for decorating.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 11:35:28 PM »
Those shelves came out great Tyrion.

Digitari, do you have any pics of the pentagon ?

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
Last night, started working on a Silent Tower, and ended up with this

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »
Great start, that looks really interesting and definitely accessible at each level. Thanks for sharing

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »
Digitari, do you have any pics of the pentagon ?

Unfortunately, no. My computer died last week and I can only access the LAF from work right now. The Tower is still in process, so I'll dig out my camera and get some pics.

Offline blekinge

• Lurker
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
The Worm Hunt
- No specific Terrain.
- 6 Treasure Tokens
- Giant Worm models. I don't believe there is an official model yet.
to make your own.
Reaper Miniatures has an inexpensive suitable model
- 100XP to any warband that slays a Giant Worm
I do not know the scale but I think this worm is a lot nicer. I have just ordered it just for this scenario but not received yet
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/77183/sku-down/77183

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
Giant worms aren't actually all that giant in Frostgrave, they don't have the Large special rule, so while I like both those Reaper worms I thought they were too big for Frostgrave. I've gone with these from Heresy.

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »

The Living Museum
- 4 Walls, to serve as the remains of the museum
- 6 Statues, nothing too big, as theses will animate and attack as medium constructs
- 6 Treasure Tokens

The living Museum has to be the biggest meat grinder of all the basic scenarios. 6 treasures, all within 12" of each other, guarded by 6 constructs. To get the treasure, you not only have to fight the constructs, but you are most certainly going to stumble across the other Wizard's forces, at very short range.

I agree this one seems to be a bit of meet grinder its also a great scenario for a solo game, especially if you throw in some other wandering monsters.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
Had enough pieces left over that I decided to make another one.

I hadn't noticed the worms not being "large" in the rules. Tremors, Dune, and D&D have ingraned the image of them being able to swallow people whole into my head. The larger model makes them easier to draw line of sight to, but other than that, I don't believe there is any game mechanic difference, so I think this is a situation where personal prefernce will come into play.

Those Heresy slugs are creepy looking though. If I saw one of them, I would want to fry it with an Elemental Bolt immediately.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »
Looking very nice Adam. That second one with a connecting bridge would serve as one of the adjoining building giving another point of entry for the main tower. Thanks for sharing

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 04:16:01 AM »
You can never get enough bookshelves for the library scenario , so I built 20 more book cases over the last 2 days.

Cardstock book shelves are detailed and easy to build, but flimsy.
Wooden bookshelves are sturdier and have a better feel, but they are a pain to fill with tiny details.
These are a hybrid. Wooden frames with cardstock details printed and mounted to foam core.

I found 3 printable book case images and reworked them into 10

The bookshelves images are 2"x3".

I printed them, mounted them to foam core, cut them out, and then glued popsicle sticks to make the frames around them.