Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690743
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Other rulesets for Back of Beyond  (Read 16992 times)

Offline walktapus

• Librarian
    • Ze Psilete
Other rulesets for Back of Beyond
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:03:09 AM »
I am searching for rules that would suit me and my pals for gaming RCW/BoB actions in Siberia/Mongolia (also Warlords and Civil War China later this year).

We have tried a variant of LotOW, and Little Contemptible Armies+BoB but were not fully satisfied.

The idea is to play 20-50 minis per player, 1-2 players a side, and have quick fun games, with one mini = one fighter. And allow for detailed terrain like towns and houses with removable roofs.

I am considering variants of Disposable Heroes and NUTS from Two Hour Wargames.

Would these rulesets adapt easily to the earlier period ? Do you know if somebody has already made such adaptations ? Any other suggestion ? Is NUTS ! the best THW ruleset to start with ?

The quest never ends...
Denis

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »
Try Disposable Beroes
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Stéphane

• Scientist
    • Les Vicissitudes ludiques (text in french, pictures in color)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
J'ai ce qu'il te faut. Ca s'appel escarmouche, je t'envois la version non corrigée. T'auras plus qu'à la tester  :mrgreen:

I've got what you need. It's ESCARMOUCHE. I send you the beta version. You must test it  :mrgreen:

Stéphane
Les Vicissitudes Ludiques (french text, but colored picutres)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »
There is always "The Sword and the Flame" which is quite good and has a Back of Beyond version as well.

Offline JonnyQuest

• Lurker
Re: Other rulesets for Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:30:57 PM »
Quote from: "walktapus"
Is NUTS ! the best THW ruleset to start with ?

I would use NUTS!, and look for the cavalry mods on the THW Yahoo Group (possibly also on their website).

NUTS!, aside from needing the cavalry rules in the download, is perfect for what you propose. I don't think you would need to change a thing, as long as you have your own army lists in mind.

JonnyQuest
- Jonny Quest

"Golly, Race!"

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
Doctor Merkury say ´´Couple months for the SCW Supplement as for BoB, they do have a Chinese Warlord List and Chinese Guerilla list in their Pacific Theater Supplement "Red Sun, Red Death". They do have a free pdf supplement for the Rif War 1921-27 Morocco which could be tweaked for Central Asian forces.´´

so my question is there also ww1 vehicles includet in  "Red Sun, Red Death" and can you tell me which years are covert with the Chinese Warlord List and Chinese Guerilla list ,are there cavalry in the rules ?

And are there interesting usable rules ,army lists in Futile Gallantry ß

Thanks Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »
I would recommend "Arc of Fire" WW2 rules.  They are similar in some ways to TSATF, but handle more advanced weapons and a few tanks.  They are good for battles involving a company to a battalion on each side.  I wouldn't recommend them for fighting regiment or division sized battles.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Doctor Merkury

• Librarian
  • A better world through Alchemy, Science, and Lead
    • Doctor Merkury's Lab
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 05:42:50 PM »
Hi Grimm,

If you have the Rif War Pdf:
http://www.ironivangames.com/rifwar.pdf

This has stats for the WW1 era CA-1 Schneider and the FT-17 Variants as well as a few Armored cars of French and Spanish origin.  It has lists for the various Harkas (warbands) of Morocco that you could easily use for Ngoloks or Monghols.  As fo Bolsheviks and White Russians you could treat them as a Spanish force.  If you are looking at doing armored trains, try treating each car as a seperate tank.
  Using the Red Sun Red Death Supplement you can find some starting points for Chinese forces, many of the weapons would be the same.
     In genereal the Rif War pdf will give you the information for the Inter War period in general and I believew has the rules for cavalry (even Camels) though you will still need their WW2 rulebook to play.  Be sure to use the optional leader wounding rule present in the new rules because this will outline the major difference between irregular armies morales versus formal armies with a set NCO structure.  Also weapons that cause Morale tests will be tools of formal armies for throwing back "hordes" of irregulars.
     I game the Rif War using these rules and true be told I coauthored them :).  I find the Disposable Heroes rules to be a very good set for this period and fast too.  We can get through a game of say 100 or more figs on the table in under 3hrs with excellent results, including airstrikes.
  My advice would be give it a try and any questions fire an email off to me, it's located within the Rif war pdf.

Cheers,
Doc
"They called me mad at the University..."

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 08:13:51 PM »
Thanks Doctor Merkury  :)

Offline walktapus

• Librarian
    • Ze Psilete
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks everybofy for the input. I guess I will have to try all this.

Is there a store in Europe stocking Disposable Heroes ?

How does Arc of Fire compare to Disposable Heroes ? Same scale same complexity ?

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
Quote from: "walktapus"
Thanks everybofy for the input. I guess I will have to try all this.

Is there a store in Europe stocking Disposable Heroes ?

In Germany, you can buy it at Battlefield Berlin or Worean. In the UK NorthStar is always worth a try.

Offline Squint

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 12:13:11 AM »
Hi,

I find it really frustrating.....I've had a copy of Contemptible Little armies pretty much since it came out - and I have NEVER been able to persuade anyone to give me a game using them.

Oh well, such is life here in Despair.

Anyway, while my local club can't be persuaded to actually play BoB, we do skirt around the edges some. And we do play a fair amount of 20th Century games in 28mm of one type or another.
We have tried all manner of rulesets but have settled on a couple as we now all know them so it makes games easy to play.

For smaller sized games we tend to use Chain Reaction 2 (although the sci-fi geeks in the club are slowly edging us towards 2150)
And for larger games we use, believe it or not, the Operation Overlord rules from Italieri. OK, so these were designed for 1/72nd sized, WW2, plastic models, but with very little in the way of modifiers they will play out for any 20th century game.
They lack flavour, but this can be allowed for by either using modifiers, extra cards or simply restricting the use of others cards.
Just to see what would happen, one night we played a full blown WW1 attack on a trench line as a multi-player. The rules didn't get in the way of a good game although, to make the whole thing last more than three turns we had to start re-cycling the attacking units as they were just dying too quickly.

But once the attackers got up to the trenches it became a different game altogether and the good old British eventually won the day.

Squint.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
I will Second Arc of Fire a good set of rules :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
Quote from: "Stéphane"
J'ai ce qu'il te faut. Ca s'appel escarmouche, je t'envois la version non corrigée. T'auras plus qu'à la tester  :mrgreen:

I've got what you need. It's ESCARMOUCHE. I send you the beta version. You must test it  :mrgreen:

Stéphane

Could I have a go at that, too... Please?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 08:28:48 AM »
What do you find is unsatisfactory with Contemptible Little Armies+BoB (sic)?