Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Question about Races  (Read 6457 times)

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
Re: A Question about Races
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
I have thought of tinkering with some race specific special rules. Mainly because I have a ton of dwarf minis and they are too heavily armoured to fit the Frostgrave soldier types as well as I'd like.

Will they not be fine as Knights/Templars? Just change the class name to make then sound more Dwarfish!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 09:02:17 PM »
In our games we have had a Dwarf, Human, Orc and Goblin warbands - all just using the standard soldier profiles.

Offline zellak

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:25 PM »
Its good there are no modifiers for non humans................this means we can use any miniatures we want.   :)
North Ayrshire Wargames Club.

Offline Zinkala

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 05:07:46 AM »
Will they not be fine as Knights/Templars? Just change the class name to make then sound more Dwarfish!
Yes, they'll work for the high level soldiers. The problem is I'm lacking models for the unarmoured and leather armoured troops. Haven't really tried to assemble warbands out of my non human armies yet so I'm not sure how it will work out. Too busy assembling human warbands right now.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:05:18 PM »
Asked the race question on one of the Facebook FG groups, and the unscientific results were:

Would you like to see racial stats (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, etc) added to the game?
No (55 votes)
Yes (4 votes)
Other (say below) (0 votes)  [though there's a couple of comments that I'd say means a couple of "no" votes should have been here]

So it looks like the majority of players don't.

But at the end of the day, it's really what Joe wants to do. ;)
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
@Zinkala - Not knowing whether you have your dwarves assembled/painted, I could suggest painting chain as a heavily woven fabric, painting plate as a boiled leather. If they are already painted, you could possibly color the bases to note which is which (brown bases are thugs, green bases are men at arms, etc). I believe Litko and CorSec have colored acrylic bases you could magnetize or blu-tac under the existing base to keep from messing with existing basing.

@Darkson71 - interesting results. I think FG players want to keep it as rules-light and figure-agnostic as possible? I see some of that when people suggest modifications, a lot of replies are along the "too much complexity" line.

Now for Lloth to finish recruiting her crew to invesigate this supposed treasure trove of the surface dwellers...
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
Joe (who is now apparently referring to himself in the third person) has no desire to create specific racial characteristics. All other issues aside, giving any specific race +1 or -1 Movement would create a huge imbalance.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »
May I say, "Bless you, Joe"

Offline PhilM

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »
Joe, in your head, does the world that Frostgrave is set in have the traditional intelligent Fantasy races, Dwarves, Elves etc? Or is it Humans and monsters?

I know the setting is very loose and that's part of the appeal for a lot of people, and not wanting any sort of "Official" view but just wondering how you think of it?

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »
I too like the "thug is a thug" argument for Frostgrave.

An alternative to racial stat lines is more soldier types, with more incremental costs. For example, A thug with Armor, call it a Ruffian for 25-30 pts. That could then represent a Dwarf Thug for those players that want some racial flavor.

This could also solve some of the math problems when building a warband. IE not having a 30pt soldier.

Xin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:06:17 PM by Xintao »
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »
Joe, in your head, does the world that Frostgrave is set in have the traditional intelligent Fantasy races, Dwarves, Elves etc? Or is it Humans and monsters?

I know the setting is very loose and that's part of the appeal for a lot of people, and not wanting any sort of "Official" view but just wondering how you think of it?

No comment.  ;)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
I'm good with no race rules. If you want an elf archer with high shooting,  then house rule it. It's your game!

I would like some more types to hire though. Even upgrades of types we already have.  Or "upgrades" like a shield, armor, extra weapon- so that figures we are using are more WYSIWYG.

Mordheim had mercenaries or personalities. Special characters that could be hired for one battle for a bunch of gold. I'd like something like that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:30:07 PM by Bloodaxe »

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
There are more options coming...see Thaw of the Lich Lord out next month and Sellsword out in January.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 07:45:07 PM »
What? Sellsword? I thought the deep crypt underthing was coming after melted lich-sicle.  Wow! 3 expansions on the horizon!

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 08:32:27 PM »
There are more options coming...see Thaw of the Lich Lord out next month and Sellsword out in January.

Awesome! Thanks!