Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 731
Total: 737

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Donnybrook Project - 'Somewhere in Scotland, 1650...' updated 30/07/16  (Read 12014 times)

Offline Bitbag

• Assistant
Hi all!

New member here, but long time lurker....thought it was about time I joined.  ;)

Due to the fact that I'm constantly inspired by the wonderful work on this forum, I thought I'd share my own humble offerings, in the hope that it'll possibly inspire others! Since last year, I've been working on an ECW variant for 'Donnybrook', building up New Model Army and Covenanter factions. An informal group of us managed to put on a game at the recent Partizan show in September, and over the next few months, I'll bring the project to some kind of conclusion, maybe...... ::) The intention is to put on a larger version next May at the next Partizan show!

Anyway, here's a taster of what can be found on my blog:

http://haveacare.blogspot.co.uk/

Slightly sporadic in my posts, but hopefully more inspiration on here will spur me on.

Hope everybody enjoys looking, and best wishes,

Andy

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:46:02 PM by Bitbag »

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: ECW Donnybrook Project - 'Somewhere in Scotland, 1650...'
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
Hi Andy,
Welcome aboard the good ship LAF. I to am a big fan of Donnybrook and I've been using them for Darkest Africa and the Sikh Wars.
Cracking blog btw, had a quick skim read and saved it to my favourites. How did you make those cards? I could do with some of them. 
Will be looking out for your posts to see how your Donnybrook venture gets on.

Jeff

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
My friend Dave joined you for that game you put on at Partizan. We came and rescued you from him after his shenanigans had won him the game (I think). He loved it and the rules/game looked excellent I have to say! :D

Offline Bitbag

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
Hi all!

Thanks for the kind comments so far, both here and on the blog. Glad you're liking what you're seeing!

Jeff- the cards.... well!  ::) To answer your question, they were made by yours truly. I found a font (can't remember which one now, but I'll look it up) that looked suitably old-fashioned, and a background texture from the internet. I'm not the most technological of people, but I managed to create a border and word processed the backs and fronts of the cards. Then I printed them out.  Stage 1! Stage 2 saw me using a guillotine and glue - remembering to glue the backs on in a consistent direction  ;) - then more guillotine work to trim off any white bits of paper left over.  Stage 3 saw them bunged in a laminator, then run through twice just to make sure they were sealed properly. Cut them out, and Bob's your uncle! It took a while start to finish, but they look great, and have so far served us well! I like the idea of doing different 'style' packs for different Donnybrook 'eras', maybe in the future. There's more views of them here:

http://haveacare.blogspot.co.uk/2014_02_01_archive.html?m=1#2549059821868098720

if you didn't spot them earlier! Hope that helps.

Gibby, hi! Yes, I remember Dave! Glad he had a good time- he'll get a mention in a future blog post about Partizan,  all in a positive manner of course! He definitely had the luck of the cards, and my friend Andy (Andy Fox from Nantwich and Crewe Wargames) was very bemused! Dave's faction definitely had their mettle up that day! Thank him for us, and thank you for your kind words!

Best wishes to all,

Andy

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:53 AM »
Excellent. Using Donnybrook would be brilliant for a Killing Times period game.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Andy  :)

Offline Bitbag

• Assistant
Hi all

Thanks you for the warm welcome to the LAF - I think that's one of the things that sets this forum apart from others - and all the compliments and views. Wow, is all I can say - very humbling and heart-warming at the same time! :)

As promised, I've updated my blog, with pictures of the completed infantry for my New Model Army Faction, and some details about the faction composition in the context of my 'Donnybrook ECW' project.

Hope you enjoy the pics - a taste of which below.

Next up will come the horse for the NMA, then I'll move onto the Scots and bits of scenery.

Best wishes
Andy

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Very nice project, Donnybrook rules have great potential  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
Great work on everything so far, looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Bitbag

• Assistant
Hi all!

Thanks for all the continuing kind words.  8)

Next instalment of the project - this time, it's the NMA horse!

This brings to a close my Donnybrook NMA basic 4 point faction, so the next few posts will be about scenery for the project and some 'scenic' fluff (including chickens  :o ....), as well as pics of the completed NMA faction and some historic background to the forces and the Dunbar campaign. I'll then move onto the Scots Covenanter faction.  See you soon, and follow the horse to the blog!...

http://haveacare.blogspot.co.uk/2015_10_01_archive.html#3180018020361056211

Best wishes,

Andy

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
Re: ECW Donnybrook Project - 'Somewhere in Scotland, 1650...' updated 23/10/15
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 11:57:52 AM »
Excellent work!! ;)

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:34 PM »
Have you tried Witchfinder General for this kind of game? Leave out the supernatural and you have a cracking set of C17th skirmish/small action rules.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »
Hello and welcome to the LAF. Some great looking Perry miniatures Ecw you have there.

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
Wow....cracking stuff!

Offline Bitbag

• Assistant
Re: ECW Donnybrook Project - 'Somewhere in Scotland, 1650...' updated 01/11/15
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 11:38:37 PM »
Hi all - been a few days, and I've been busy painting, but time for another update. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback, and to answer a few questions:

charla51 - Hi! Witchfinder General.... no, not tried it yet, although I've heard good things about it. It is on the radar, but we've found Donnybrook to give a good game and it's easy to pick up. I am interested in trying out different rule sets, though, and might give it a go. 'Pikeman's Lament' will also be on the radar when it comes out (Michael!...  :)), and I've also dug out my old copy of 'File Leader!' Witchfinder General is also on the list!

Westwaller and Roo - Hello, and thank you for the welcome. They are mostly Perry's, and the project will have a few Foundry Perry-sculpted figures thrown in - shaken casualty markers, and some civilians (when I get round to them). I like the figures they have produced for both ranges, and still rate them as some of the best ECW figures out there. Somewhere, I've got a load of Renegade minis waiting for paint.... but they're for a different project!

Archiduque - praise indeed sir, from yourself, so thank you! Keep watching this thread, and I hope you approve! :D

The latest post on the blog shows off the final pics of the 4 point Donnybrook NMA faction, in completeness, and I offer a few thoughts on the historical basis and background for the figures and my force composition. There's also a teaser of the buildings I've painted, and the arrival of the Scots, as well as the livestock for the table... don't worry, the chickens are still there  ;), but this week has mainly been about sheep...  lol

BTW, Does anyone know how to set up a gallery on here? - I've taken quite a few pictures and would love to show them to people, but I'm unsure how to go about it. Would I have to send them to another online gallery first, then link them back to here? Any advice gratefully accepted.

See you soon!

Best wishes
Andy