Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:21:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690527
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - A Trail of Clues - Ruins in the Jungle Game pix added  (Read 4073 times)

Online pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
March 1932 – The Rainforests of Southwest Cambodia

For centuries there have been rumours of a giant emerald of vast magical energy that lay hidden deep in the primordial jungles of ancient Kampuchea.

Professor Plum has been scouring the region for decades, his life’s work focused on the dream of the ultimate discovery.

Lately, he had become convinced he was nearing his goal and had been celebrating noisily in the bars of the old town before cabling his associates in the League of Enlightened Archaeologists.

But death has found him first.

His friends arrive the next day at the small house he rents on the edge of the city to find the door burst in and Plum’s corpse face down on the wooden floor.  Upturned furniture and pages torn from his precious notebooks lie scattered across the room.  It seems likely loose lips have led to torture and murder.   Valuable information can always be sold.

Drawn in blood, his outstretched hand has written a sequence of numbers – a map reference!

Our story starts at the co-ordinates Plum has given.  Under the dripping forest canopy the group’s gloom is deepened by the oppressive, enveloping mist.

Lord Elpus raises a hand and brings the group to a wary halt, turns and whispers

“The compass says we’re here.  Unsnap your holsters, chances are we are not alone”

The Table

SCENARIO EVENTS AND PLOT POINTS

League of Enlightened Archaeologists      Friendly Local - Level 1 Shooter (2d6 shoot)
The Red Blight                       Delayed (one model is delayed 1 turn)
The Celestial Host                    Reconnoitre (no attack, run or rush on 1st turn)

Major Plot Point

The Idol in the Ruins            2 random challenges to prise the emerald from the
                          Idol’s forehead.  

Minor Plot Points

- Information (an ancient stele with a rudimentary map etched into the stone surface – the  
  inscription reads “You are here”)

- Information (an inscription on a hideous stone totem gives direction.  The glyphs translate as “Idol
  this way – queue time approximately 30 minutes”)

- Equipment (Weapons Cache – someone has been here before, let’s hope they have forgotten to
   take these with them)

-  Treasure (a Sanskrit Tablet covered in some very rude pictures has been hidden amongst some old  
    crates.  Someone’s secret stash, no doubt

An example of some Play Cards

What Happened - but no pix!  ... and on a miniatures forum too  :o

I have recently Joined a new club (boardgames and miniatures) and decided to take Pulp Alley along this week.

I managed to entrap two willing victims.  One was fresh to miniature games and the other an experienced wargamer (who has the rules but had never played them).

This was my first ever 3 player game.

As I was introducing the game I decided to spend a little time on Sunday afternoon making some game cards with all the information on (rushed, hince the spolling).  These were folded in half and placed in a card sleeve with a paperclip to keep track of the health status.

Although I added details of weapon kits on the card reverse we did not use these new rules as I had not played with them before and was not sure how they would affect the balance.  I wanted a good experience for my new chums so I kept it simple.

I forgot the scenario events, doh!  (except for the bonus follower, intrepid Frenchie Luc LaTrine)

The game moved along nicely and we all tried combat and plot points and the chaps played with the right attitude - climbing ruins, leaping gaps and other derring do.

Much fun as always and the game finished with most of the followers and allies waiting at the pearly gates -  leaving the stronger Sidekicks and Leaders battling frantically for the Emerald.

On the sixth and final turn Lord Elpus scaled the idol and half prised the precious stone from it's socket ... but not enough.

The game ended with 1 plot point each, a blaze of gunfire over the last minor plot point as factions strove for the extra point and Elpus hanging from a vine cursing as his blunt blade fails to capture the ultimate goal.

Down to the wire again.

Everyone seemed to enjoy

The initiative holder directing the action, throwing perils at each other, the interactive fights matching dice and the overall feel of a story being played out all got special mention.  

..... but I didn't take my camera or phone (the table shot was a practice set up at home before leaving for the club.

Believe me - it was fun  :)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:21:45 PM by pauld »
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley - A Trail of Clues - Ruins in the Jungle
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:41:32 PM »
Sounds great, and looks like a terrain set up to encourage derring do!

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley - A Trail of Clues - Ruins in the Jungle
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:47:38 AM »
Some punny names you got there for your crew... lol

Online pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
all is not lost ..  I had forgotten Frank took some photos during the game, so a few highlights of the action

Lance Boyle, staunch sidekick of Lord Elpus,  peers through the gloom of the temple ruins and finds an unsuspecting target

Berndt Tost of the Red Blight approaches a plot point and signals his allies to stay back  "It's mine, all mine"

Leader of the Celestial, Host Sum Ting Wong, exhorts his followers to press on into danger ( cannon fodder anyone? )

Approaching the end - Sal Minella will soon slip and fall to an untimely death from the slippery face of the idol while the leaders of the Enlightened Archaeologists and the Celestial Host battle on the steps below.  Meanwhile Mona Lott and Tommy 'Gun' Gibbons swap blows over the last minor plot point. 

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Pulp Alley - A Trail of Clues - Ruins in the Jungle Game pix added
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »
Love this. The table looks great, the figures look great, the scenario looks great, and I must admit to having a weakness for silly names. If adult beverages were handy this could well have been the perfect game. Very well done!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »
Wow! Fantastic! THANKS for sharing.  :-*

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
Great stuff!  :-* I love the punny names!  lol
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:29:22 AM »
Lovely looking game, pauld, great stuff!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 02:27:39 AM »
Very cool! Really liked that one.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »
Great stuff!  :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.