Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How important is basing in HotT?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
How important is basing in HotT?
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »
Hey LAF,

I've been thinking of getting back into 'Hordes of the Things' recently, and was wondering how important basing is to the game.

Particularly, I have a '15mm scale' collection of figures, all mounted on 40mm by 40mm bases.

The frontages are all 40mm - the suggested length - but the depths are all 'wrong'. Everyone else has figures based using the 'proper' dimensions, if that figures into the equation.

I re-based all these figures fairly recently, so re-basing again is out of the question so far as I am concerned.

Let me know what you think.

MM.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: How important is basing in HotT?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:35:35 PM »
Who's 'everyone else', and do they have a problem with it? The rules apparently don't ("Base size is not critical provided that all bases have the same frontage...") and I don't think I would. An opponent can only really get one 40mm frontage in your flank and vice versa anyway, right? In fact, I'd think that a 40mm square is a good size and shape for Mayhem. ;)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
Base depth is somewhat important. Elements may recoil (retreat back ward) a distance of one base depth. That can be worked around. But recoiling elements also have an impact on (or are impacted by) elements they recoil into. Also, some element types can support others from behind - possibly multuplying spatial problems.

It's not impossible to work around the basing issues, but it will take a little work to sort it all out, especially if opponents have the standard basing depths.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:33 PM »
You can have several armies with the same basing. That way you can provide your opponent with an army in the same conditions of yours  :D

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 01:05:33 AM »
So, it'll work but its a little tricky. The recoil distances sound like they could be overcome without too much bother.

In fact, I'd think that a 40mm square is a good size and shape for Mayhem. ;)

And Mayhem was the original plan, but I've yet to find another soul that plays it.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 01:51:29 AM »
Yes. Just use actual measurements instead of base depths. I had a HotT army that was based a little different than normal, and that's what I did. I had some deeper elements that I treated as if they were double based/depth spears.

You can have several armies with the same basing. That way you can provide your opponent with an army in the same conditions of yours  :D

Even better! There's not much of problem if both armies are based the same.