Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691123
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using small figures for cover advantages  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
Re: Using small figures for cover advantages
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:17 PM »
You could also use a "barry"

a model of a nice "medium"sized model and use him for all los situations.

small models, crouching ones, standing tall, on a rock etc just use the same models for all los checks...
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:06 AM »
We have several players who are using mousing in campaign... the thing to remember is that the height advantage works two ways.  If the figure can't bee seen because the terrain is to high it can be argued they can't see over the terrain either.  We have not found this to be a big issue in most cases, as in real in real life, being short or tall can be an advantage in the right situation, just as its a disadvantage in the wrong one.

Not the worst idea, if your mini can't draw line of sight over the terrain he can't fire.

Offline PhilM

• Assistant
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
The current Skaven are a little smaller than the Mordheim ones but the Mordheim models are about the same size as the Frostgrave soldiers, especially as GW bases are deeper.

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
Not the worst idea, if your mini can't draw line of sight over the terrain he can't fire.

Its worked for us so far.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »
And if he doesn't have any shooting soldiers (which would be what I would do if I was gaming the system like this)? How is that a penalty?
"Oh, you mean my Paladin can't shoot?  What a shame. *evil snigger*"

Trouble is, people making suggestions like this aren't putting themselves in the mind set of a "beard".  If he's truly doing it to stop his opponents being able to shot at him, he won't want to take shooting himself.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:10:50 AM by Darkson71 »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline MacavityandMycroft

• Assistant
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »
Goblins have 8 health, rather than the 10 Humans come standard with.

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »
 :D Ohw Darkson71, you evil you! lol I thought I was the only one who immediately thought of that.. The thing that first got me thinking this had to be intentional was the fact that the only named ranged character (his wizard), happens to be a regular miniature able to draw line of sight over the cover...

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
Hi,

One of regular Frosrgrave players has started using a goblin warband with an Orc Wizard and is making sure he is always using terrain that is low walls that covers more than 50% of his figures for the +4 bonus while ensuring all the regular warbands only get +2 bonus as they are too big to get a heap of the cover. This also ensures his Wizard has line of sight while getting protection with intervening models.

This really rubs me the wrong way and I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered this in their groups and how have they dealth with it. This person is pretty notorious for exploiting wvery loop hole they can find and it takes away from such a fine game.
Just thought I'd repost the original since people seem to be reading more into this than was originally written. There's no suggestion that he's hiding his soldiers completely, just setting up the terrain to maximise his advantage.

In which case, I'd just direct his attention to page 26 where it says the terrain should be set up "in a mutually agreeable fashion". If you don't agree with his choice of terrain, say so. The rules are on your side and if he wants to be a rules lawyer...