Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 855
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CptJake paints a Tigger (and more!)  (Read 2306 times)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
CptJake paints a Tigger (and more!)
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »
Got done painting up my first German vehicles.   All are Warlord plastics with the exception of the SDKFZ 222 which is a Warlord Resin miniature.   I still need to add crew to open hatches and stowage when I get them painted.  

Used MIG Dark Yellow primer, then MIG colors via the airbrush for camouflage.  Craft paints for some of the details (tools and such) and an assortment of washes (some made from craft paints, some MIG and Vallejo) and pigments (MIG and Vallejo).  About 90% was MOG products.  Iain at MIG US is a good guy and I enjoy using their stuff.

First up is the Tigger!   Tiggers are wonderful things.   Built stock except I cut off a piece of skirt and added a bit of putty to make the hull where the skirt is missing.   I also 'chipped' away a tiny bit of Zimmerit coating in a couple places.   I painted it before I put the tracks on, adding the tracks after they were painted but before most of the weathering.   I'm pretty happy with how this one came out.  The number is a nod to Kelly's Heroes.  

Next up is the Puma.  Again, pretty happy with it.   Not the best detailed model, for example, the insides of the tires are hollow (but unless you look hard once it is assembled it is not too noticeable).  

And the SDKFZ 222.   I didn't like the way the turret top screens fit on, but other than that it built well.   Honestly I'm not sure why I got this one other than I think it is a cool looking armored car.   I intend to play late war battles and though these were still in use, they were pretty rare at that point.  But it is a cool looking critter.
 ;)

And finally the Stug.   I cut away a couple skirtzen.   Getting these to fit onto the brackets was a pain.   I hope they stand up to handling.   As with the Tiger, I painted it with the tracks (and in this case skirts) off, assembling them once everything was painted but before most of the weathering.  The skirtzen were cut off leaving the bracket/frame in place but that is hard to see in the pictures.  I did not glue in the gun tube so I can switch it out for the 105mm barrel to make it magically turn into a Stuh-42.   I forgot to take a picture with the shorter barrel.

Let me know what you think.   They still need to be clear coated to protect them.

Jake
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:52:24 PM by CptJake »
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: CptJake paints a Tigger (and more!)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
Superb. Really like the battle worn StuG.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:58:41 PM »
Thanks.   It ended up being a bit frustrating.   In the process of putting on the tracks I broke off 5 of the 6 skirtzen bracket pieces from the hull.   Then later, once the skirtzen were put on and I was doing some weathering on the tracks I guess I held it too tightly and broke off one side of the skirtzen.

I was an angry person.   >:(

I used super glue to fix them all and am really hoping they hold.   In retrospect, as a gaming model it could have done well without skirtzen at all...

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
Tiggers are wonderful things....

Great job on the camo and the battle worn look.

The only criticism I'd have is that the decals look too new.  Maybe a wash or two over them?

Still, that's only minor...nice job!

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »
Good point.  Except for the StuG they look a lot brighter in the pictures than they do in hand.   They were applied before any weathering so got the same washes and so on the vehicles got.   For some reason the ones on the StuG do look bright.  I just got done dusting them with a light dust colored pigment and fixing the pigments so they now fit in a bit better.  I also added some more 'chipping' to the numbers on the Puma.   The Tigger really didn't need any fixing up.   

Once I dull coat them I'll take a couple more pictures.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
Okay, how do the decals look now?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »
I thought most tyres were hollow on the inside; indeed, that seems to be the point.  ;D
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:53:53 AM »
The decals now look truly weathered and like they have been painted on top job

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »
love that stug :-*
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
Great job on all of them  :-*

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
I really enjoyed working on them.   I'm still climbing the learning curve on the airbrush, but I'll get there.   I'm waiting on some vehicles from JTFM Enterprises/Die Waffenkammer but do have a couple SDKFZ 251s and a kubelwagon I can start on in the meantime.