Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689701
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WIP Airfix 1/32nd Pulp. Cheapo Skelebob added.  (Read 5030 times)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
WIP Airfix 1/32nd Pulp. Cheapo Skelebob added.
« on: October 24, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »
This figure is nowhere near finished! I keep re-painting then thinking? I wonder if this will work?

But it is one of the old Airfix Australian Infantry box set. Officer obviously! (He's got a Pistol!)

I have been layering, trimming, repainting trying to get definition in the painting! They are still very good minis for their age but the mould lines and the Plastic is not very forgiving! ;D

Still at about 20p each second hand I really can't complain! lol

Here he is at present. As I make progress..(If!!) I'll update.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:53:49 PM by MalcyBogaten »

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: WIP Airfix 1/32nd Pulp. I'm trying...Just cos I want to....! :)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
I've always thought the bigger figures would be perfect for Pulp; the lower number of figures needed for such games makes gaming even with metal practicable--if someone made them. Your adventurer looks outstanding! Please let us know about your future progress!

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:02:36 AM »
Looks great!  I've got a box of Aussies, too.  Some people harden the plastic with watered down glue to make them more rigid before painting them.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:35:30 AM »
I've always thought the bigger figures would be perfect for Pulp; the lower number of figures needed for such games makes gaming even with metal practicable--if someone made them. Your adventurer looks outstanding! Please let us know about your future progress!

Yeah! Myself and another friend have been thinking about doing a Pulpy/Weird War 2 for many a year. (I converted a Captain America figure from the Tamiya 1/35th range) And to be honest.... I don't mind mixing the 1/32nd with the 1/35th figures. Just the old Airfix and Matchbox 1/32nd give me the 70's childhood memories! :D

Looks great!  I've got a box of Aussies, too.  Some people harden the plastic with watered down glue to make them more rigid before painting them.

Again..The old watered PVA treatment. I did try it and it worked on some but not on others? Plastics I suspect?
But I was told by my friend to use Game Color (Vallejo) White primer/White watered down a bit. But this figure was sprayed with white car primer! No problems. (Yet!)

Thanks for the comments and I am trying to improve the facial details and the overall look of the figure. But as mentioned by Arundel! Fewer figures overall anyway!! More time for pfaffing around on a paintjob! o_o

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: WIP Airfix 1/32nd Pulp. Update with a few more.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Here's the Officer again with a bit more work on his paintjob. Don't know if this really shows in the photo?

A mate of his from the same box set!

A Japanese Airfix Infantryman painted in My own "Red Bamboo" style! (From Godzilla Ebirah but I know this is nothing like the actual uniform in the film!! lol 70's memory let me down here but it is "Red!"

And finally an armed to the teeth Tamiya US Infantryman. He has ammo galore! :D (Pity you can't see it!)

Got loads more of these guys to do.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »
They look good, and doing Pulp in 54mm is a great idea.  One suggestion though, paint over the puttees/leggings so they look like boots.  I think it will make the effect better.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
nick - i believe they're called 'spatz'.  i quite like them as they give that old timey 'during the war' feel.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
They look good, and doing Pulp in 54mm is a great idea.  One suggestion though, paint over the puttees/leggings so they look like boots.  I think it will make the effect better.

nick - i believe they're called 'spatz'.  i quite like them as they give that old timey 'during the war' feel.

I gotta admit? I don't know which is which? "Spatz" are one piece I thought? "Puttees" are lower leg wraps?

But I can see both thoughts and to be honest...I've got so many more of these guys to try things out on everything is open for trial!! ;)

I gotta admit as well. Scaling up on my painting is very trying! :'( All the techniques I'm used to in the heroic 28-32mm scale are a bit less forgiving in the bigger scale.

Lord help me when I go back to the smaller stuff! My hands will look massive!!! lol lol

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
spats, puttees, gaiters, half-chaps, jambieres...whatever they're called, it's still the thing worn over boots and covers the bottom of the pants.

larger figures are less forgiving of my painting abilities which i why avoided the 1/35 scale entirely.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Pete,
         You may well be right.  I picture Spatz to be the things upper class types wore in the 20s, generally in white.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
I can thoroughly recommend buying a medical scalpel and a few blades, to keep for use on soft plastics like these. The blades are way too delicate for using on anything like hard plastic or metal, but are so sharp they're perfect for trimming away the mould lines off these babies without tearing. They're pretty cheap as well, just a couple of quid, but make sure you get the right size (and shape) blades.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
I can thoroughly recommend buying a medical scalpel and a few blades, to keep for use on soft plastics like these. The blades are way too delicate for using on anything like hard plastic or metal, but are so sharp they're perfect for trimming away the mould lines off these babies without tearing. They're pretty cheap as well, just a couple of quid, but make sure you get the right size (and shape) blades.

I knew I'd forgotten something when I started these guys?! Thanks Cubs. I've actually got a box full of these various blades. Whoops! ;D

Pete,
         You may well be right.  I picture Spatz to be the things upper class types wore in the 20s, generally in white.

Yep! More Mafia and style concious than these guys! :)

spats, puttees, gaiters, half-chaps, jambieres...whatever they're called, it's still the thing worn over boots and covers the bottom of the pants.

larger figures are less forgiving of my painting abilities which i why avoided the 1/35 scale entirely.

I think of them as something to keep the Poo out of your shoes in combat! :D
But I'd never heard of "jambieres?"

Believe me the larger figures I do try to avoid as well. But the kiddy memories made me have a go. :)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Here's another of the Plastic Aussie Infantry.

And Just don't ask!! The PingPong of Bogalong! Been watching to much Youtube!
Purchased some cheap Ping Pong Balls and started making strange devices or bits of the same?

Some kinda static storage weirdy thing that will probably get more stuff added!
I don't know :D :D

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
If you need scaled cultists, you could use the Emperor Palpatine figure from the Star Wars Command line.
Stores usually sell them for cheap, plus you could use the included Royal Guards as enforcers.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
If you need scaled cultists, you could use the Emperor Palpatine figure from the Star Wars Command line.
Stores usually sell them for cheap, plus you could use the included Royal Guards as enforcers.

You know? I saw a load of these at a Toyfair at the NEC Birmingham about 5 months ago being sold in big bags on the cheap!

I resisted the urge and am now regreting it! :-[

Fortunately one of the other guys in my group has some and has started painting them! :D

Still thanks for the idea! It really hadn't occurred to me! :)