Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Research Station Build WIP  (Read 4336 times)

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
Research Station Build WIP
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
Inspired by the wonderful builds on this forum like Hadleys Hope LV426 and the Medical Centre I have taken the plunge and began work on what will be a large project that will incorporate an underground research station among other things. The plan being that this build can be used for all sorts of games like Pulp, INEPTT, Sci Fi and Spy Fi. So I have started work on the Research Station, the plan for this is it can be used as a Archaeological Lab, a Secret Base and a Spaceship interior among other things.

First wall section is two decompression chambers or they could be vaults or high security cells!

A small start and over the next few days I hope to get some more walls done so the research station will start taking shape.

Cheers

Richard P
I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilise, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Research Station Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »
I'll be following your progress, and probably stealing your ideas! ;)

Will this be a modular set of rooms and corridors or will everything be integral?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »
Hi Rhoderic,

It will be a bit of both with special rooms being added where required along with modular corridors and rooms making up other sections.

Cheers

Richard P

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »
Looking good. Will be following with interest.

Can you stick a mini in one pic, please, to get an idea of scale.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »
Cracking idea! The generic "base" is a great idea, I will be watching with interest phil. Go for it, and don't run out of steam!!!

Cheers
Matt

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »
Bit of progress today with the addition of three paneled wall sections. These are made from 5mm foamcore with 2mm MDF bases painted different shades of grey. I think this gives it both a Sci Fi and a Spy Fi look. With the addition of different room furnishings it would suit lots of different scenarios.

Sorry lighting not the best I hope to get a bit more done tomorrow and will post some better photos.

Cheers

Richard P

Offline Bushbaby

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
Looks stunning! Curious to see the end result!

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »
Yeah, cool. Spray painting batches of bases would make it quite economical.

It certainly has that 70's - military base feel. You could try "patterns" like diagonal lines etc... or bottom 2/3rds one colour, top 1/3rd another colour, and zone each area a different colour (think goldeneye N64 Library/Stack) That would make it less modular, but if your building a table with furnished rooms it wouldnt matter. Ie barracks, cargo, labs could each be a different one. You could paint coloured stripes (like in Stargate) for people to follow around the base when lost.

keep on cracking.
Matt

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »
Hi Matt,

Thanks, I'm with you there I had thought of different zones being represented by different colours.

Cheers

Richard P

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
That panelled wall is brilliant! And I forgot to say, the pressure doors are great as well.

As a follow-up question to my previous one, what kind of "format" are you planning for your modular sections? As in, have you chosen some standard measurements for your wall sections so as to make them fit together in multiple configurations? I'm curious as I've been itching to do a similar project myself.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »
Nice. Love the paneling and pressure door design. You could easily replace a panel here or there with a vent grill, or have one propped open as a hidden access panel with details visible behind. Also curious on the modular layout you will use.  Looking forward to see more.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
Nice start. I will be following with interest. I want to create some similar buildings for spy fi gaming.

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 09:45:44 AM »
Thanks chaps, its positive comments that keep projects like this going imho  :)

Braz - Funnily enough i've just been looking at the 'For Your Dice Only' topic by Overlord and really like the idea of the ventilation shafts as a way of moving around the complex. Like the idea of the access panels with details behind will definitely be using that idea in the future, maybe with a safe or control panel.

Still planning the modular bits but the idea is now that the modular sections will link main areas of the complex together as I like the idea of building complete sections of the complex but with different bits for the room interiors to change their use and period. Then modular section comprising corridors and small rooms will be used to extend and link sections. I want to be able to use it as an underground base, maybe under a castle, a research facility on a distant planet and maybe a Doctor Who setting. Ideas include a museum with archaeological research areas and display areas, a library, a medical complex, a cargo bay, military barracks, industrial processing and many more.

My local coffee shop very kindly gives me their display boards which are 2ft x 2ft and made from a heavy duty foamcore. I get three every couple of months and have quite a few now so they are perfect to use a baseboards.

Cheers

Richard P  :D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
I could do with something like this. Keep it up I need the inspiration.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »
Another quick update on progress, a couple of doors added that can be slid in and out when required and two control units WIP for the two chambers along with a few more walls.

Cheers

Richard P  :)