Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thaumaturge Warband (Man-at-Arms - Quickshade Soft Tone)  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
Re: Thaumaturge Warband (Frostgrave Miniatures)
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »
Keep dipping! It looks great!

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 01:05:33 AM »
Keep dipping! It looks great!

Thank you.

Do you think I should use the blue-gray color (but painted like the previous one with black-lining and the medium quickshade) in order for the miniature to be less monochrome (white/grey/metal), or perhaps paint the base a different color, like brown?

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »
Monochrome is good. Look up some solid historical references of clothing in the mediėval period, and I bet you will find most people had grey-brownish or greenish clothes. If anything, it is the route I took with my models, and I like it myself.

I took a good look at your models, and if you are going to stick to one paint scheme, I'd wager that if you paint your bases brown, it won't make a difference.Your shading is very brownish, the boots yellowish, so it will do the same to your model, generally speaking.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
I also painted this one, some time ago, using a pale orange-salmon color instead of grey (this one wasn't black-lined though).  The idea was to enhance the sun theme a bit, and was partially inspired by the pic below.  I also painted his helm gold, although if I were to pursue this scheme, I'd probably use a more yellowish gold.  Comments and criticism welcome.  Do you think it's better than the gray ones?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:05:07 AM by Philhelm »

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 08:16:08 AM »
I really like the golden/salmon/pink scheme. It's unusual and really lightens up the models. I'm gonna be an asshole and suggest you might do some strong yellow/golden details on the cloth, cuffs, neck peice as in the drawing. It would give the mini some more interesting details.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »
Well, I personally like it when my little men are all slightly different. I think making them too uniform doesn't really suit the setting for me personally, so I'd say put them both in. But if I had to choose, I do like this one better.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
I've realized that I have painted more test figures than anything else, which is a good thing, I guess, since painted is painted.   lol

I just can't stand how my far-sighted eyes can't see the quickshaded figures well since they become so dull.  As much as I love the black-lining method, it is too time consuming and I don't like working with black paint (it seems to have different properties than the other colors).

This is a WIP, using washes and highlighting.  I have used GW Pink Horror paint, which will be highlighted with the orange-salmon color from before, as seen on the rear cape.  It's a bit darker on the front because I gave it a red wash.  The golden armor will be brighter after highlights/wash.  I'm mostly happy with how he is progressing, and he looks like he could be a righteous paladin of a sun deity.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:08:50 PM by Philhelm »

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 07:22:13 PM »
Well, I personally like it when my little men are all slightly different. I think making them too uniform doesn't really suit the setting for me personally, so I'd say put them both in. But if I had to choose, I do like this one better.

Technically you are correct, since the soldiers are supposed to be mercenaries, although in this case I imagine them to be Templars or devotees of the Thaumaturge's church.  I have decided to theme each wizard warband (Illusionist will be a thieve's guild, Witch will be rangers/druids/woodsmen, etc.), and will have them use the same color scheme like some of the old GW Necromunda gangs.  I have also decided that wizards should be garish, so not a single soldier will have brown or black boots and gloves.

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
Re: Thaumaturge Warband (Knight WIP)
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
I like him! Still a great effect with the sun symbol. Good call on the colours too.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
A dipped archer; I need to finish the base.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 06:05:28 AM »

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »
Great stuff. The peach/pink/yellow colour scheme is very effective - bravo!

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »
I painted this one with the original white, gray, and yellow scheme; however, this time I used Quickshade soft tone.  The shading is much more subtle, but the colors are brighter and much less muted.  I was skeptical, but I think I actually like the soft tone better than the dark/strong tones.  I'm not sure about my choice of browns, perhaps a shade lighter or darker for increased contrast?

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
Re: Thaumaturge Warband (Man-at-Arms - Quickshade Soft Tone)
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
I think the soft shade looks better in the closeup photo, but I also wonder if maybe the extra contrast from the darker shade would be better on the table.

I want to add to the praise on the punched out shield emblems - very clever and they look great.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: Thaumaturge Warband (Man-at-Arms - Quickshade Soft Tone)
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
I think the soft shade looks better in the closeup photo, but I also wonder if maybe the extra contrast from the darker shade would be better on the table.

I want to add to the praise on the punched out shield emblems - very clever and they look great.

I actually think that it looks better from a distance. Ironically, there is more contrast since the darker quickshade tones bring the colors closer together. The model is also much brighter too.