Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:29:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How far does it stretch(I need a tonne of info)  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
How far does it stretch(I need a tonne of info)
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:51:26 AM »
Hello all. Well since before I've been interested in VSF, read a few books, watched some stuff, and my interest has only increased since finding the LAF. But I still know too little for my own good. Don't wanna fly too far over the coocoo's nest yet.

What I'm wondering is:

1) I know this is oriented around Victorian times, however how far can one stray chronologically in either direction while still staying with it?

2)Is there anyone else other than the Brits and Prussians(as I gather from this place) that fits in?

3)Would a Russian VSF army fit the ticket(Of course you realize I'll make one anyhow), and if so, is there related material I could be directed to?

4)Would I be able to get away with BoB Russians for my basic infantry?

PS: The animated Atlantis movie is awesome! And you all were right, VSF drags you in like a black hole. I've already been working on a few contraptions which I've decided to call 'Cicada' unless I find a better name. Pictures will wait till I've painted them up.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: How far does it stretch(I need a tonne of info)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:17:53 AM »
Hello all. Well since before I've been interested in VSF, read a few books, watched some stuff, and my interest has only increased since finding the LAF. But I still know too little for my own good. Don't wanna fly too far over the coocoo's nest yet.

What I'm wondering is:

1) I know this is oriented around Victorian times, however how far can one stray chronologically in either direction while still staying with it?

2)Is there anyone else other than the Brits and Prussians(as I gather from this place) that fits in?

3)Would a Russian VSF army fit the ticket(Of course you realize I'll make one anyhow), and if so, is there related material I could be directed to?

PS: The animated Atlantis movie is awesome! And you all were right, VSF drags you in like a black hole. I've already been working on a few contraptions which I've decided to call 'Cicada' unless I find a better name. Pictures will wait till I've painted them up.

1) Off the top of my head - 1840-1900 or so, but also flexible.

2) Sky's the limit. I've seen French, Russian, Irish VSF armies, and I've heard about Japanese, Belgian and Dutch armies.

3) Yep. Sterling Moose has one. Its great. Cossaks on mechanical spiders....  For reference read The Peshawar Lancers by SM Stirling, or Flashman and the Great game by George MacDonald Fraser. Both have some great Russian characters.

4) You could proxy it for now. Why not? I would personally move to move acurate figs eventually, but that is up to you. 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:43:32 AM »
-abroI cant reimber them off the top of my head but there are a few ranges of mins out there set in the Russian near-abroud (centrol asia) and in the 1877 Russio-turkish war, they would be a better choose for what you are looking for mins wise.
I will actialy be doing a Russian force myself now that I have pretty much all the brits I need for my NMF force.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:29:26 AM »
For some almost but not quite VSF Russians, read the Erast Fandorin series by Boris Akunin.  Fandorin is a sort of Russian Sherlock Holmes - he is always working with cutting edge Victorian technology.

Try Askari Miniatures for Russian army in Central Asia:
http://www.askari-minis.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=42&osCsid=2069b92447f093db18db0916afb40dec

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »

Strictly - 1837 to 1901, the reign of Queen Victoria. However there is no reason you can't do something different, not really Victorian SF then though :)

Any nation at all can be used. The assorted fiction also includes aliens etc so go for whatever you want. Bullshott's pic page has several nations represented.

The Russian army is perfect. Unlike other countries military, the Russian forces were organised and equipped by their commanding officers. So while there was a "standard" of equipment and uniform, once forces were assigned to a location and commander, said commander could alter anything they wanted. This is most evident in the Naval ships produced, there is no real standard of design and many prototypes as each Admiral commisioned his own ships. This aproach can be abused in VSF to make anything you want. A couple of good inspiration points for Russians is:

The Tsar tank
http://www.geocities.com/MadisonAvenue/Boardroom/7104/tsar/tsar_tank_main.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Tsar_tank.jpg

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/other/tsar_szaloga3.jpg

The Popoffka Novgorod (circular ironclad)
http://www.militaryimages.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5805

Not really, but it is your game. Depends on setting, if you're after early Victorian then you'd be better off going with Crimean Russians. Mid-Victorian then the Russo-Turkish stuff. Late Victorian (my preference) then you can use the Siberian Rifles unit (from BoB) as their coats cover any uniform issues, however for most of them they are out to a greater or lesser degree. The problem is after the Russo-Japanese war (1904-1905) the Russian Military reorganised and re-equipped massively. They got hugely embarassed by their defeat and acted accordingly.

A good example is this
Copplestone BoB BU34 White Russians

Brigade Games Russian Infantry in caps

Neither of them is quite right for Victorian (but the caps are important), but the Brigade ones are closer, however the tunic should be a single piece, no fastenings down the front. Old Glory is the only current manufacturer in (25/28mm) that I can think of that do the right uniform etc, however I personally wouldn't buy them.

All that said, it's your game - use what you want.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
For VSF Russians I'd go for Russo-Turkish war figures, rather than BOB, as they are right for the whole of the later 19thC and can be painted in either green or white uniforms.

VSF Russians are one of my forthcoming projects  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
For VSF Russians I'd go for Russo-Turkish war figures, rather than BOB, as they are right for the whole of the later 19thC and can be painted in either green or white uniforms.

He's right you know, go with earlier rather than BoB.

That would be my preference as I would want the figures to nominally look like Victorian era. But at the end of the day as its fiction you can go with what you like and not have anyone tell you the figures are incorrectly painted, or not armed with the right weapons etc. ;)

I think all your other questions have been answered, so no need to add anymore to those.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »

2) Sky's the limit. I've seen French, Russian, Irish VSF armies, and I've heard about Japanese, Belgian and Dutch armies.

Why not other historical nations like Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey or Denmark as suggest by [I think] Argonor. The Tiger miniatures balkan ranges do fit some in the VSF [ for example the Greek army reequipped around 1907 onwards, but they used similar cut of the uniform but in different colour schemes, earlier blue/sky blue and later khaki. Danish army of the era has a similar cut so same mininis can be used for both armies]. Other setting is Belgium, AustroHungarian Empire, Ottoman empire
You may also make use of fantastic countries like Ruritania/Zenda, or Syldavia or you can invent semi-historic settings, expanding for example Montenegro or so.

Nowdays, with a large lot of various miniatures available for late 19th-early20th century, the limits are broaden and fantasy is the limit. You can find Belgians, AustroHungarians,Italians, US, Montenegrin and Serbians plus ...... lots more.

More examples: French and Prussian miniatures around the era of Franco prussian war can be painted to portray other armies like: South american -Peru, Chile, Argentina and so on, Scandinavian armies - Swedes had spiked helmeted uniforms , or US armies.
One can also invent setting in colonies owned by Sweden, Danemark, US,  and so on, not to mention actual colonial powers like Portugal, Spain, or even Netherlands and Belgium.

Yesterday I asked some new member interesting in VSF if he wants to have Swiss armies !!!!

So, only fantasy is the limit!
argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:21:50 AM »

How about Martians? Can't get much more traditionally VSF than them. We seem to have neglected them a little, in our urge to fight the Great War ahead of time with snazzier uniforms. They come in all sorts of flavours and tech levels (from swords to death-rays), and can be found both defending their home planet and attacking ours.

Our lads have already got the VSF European War thing down to a tee. Some cool Martian armies on the LAF would be a highly inspiring addition for the troops. Why not take the plunge?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:25:50 AM »
I would recommend the film Steam Boy(its a japanese animation) as a good reference.

As for figures, you must use your imagination. I mean, not to promote GW or anything, but plastic space amrines converted up a bit and painted brass clour can be used!

DOnt forget you can include space explorers too, so things like guys in deep sea diver suits work well.

Basically ut a top hat and a moustache on any model you like and its instant VSF.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »
Basically put a top hat and a moustache on any model you like and its instant VSF.

lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »
Basically put a top hat and a moustache on any model you like and its instant VSF.

lol

Hmm, not sure I entirely agree with that comment. ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »
Well I am using some of the Eureka Armies of the petaled throne for Atlanteans.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »
I don't what more I can add to this other than just to say that I find the more I worry about it, the less it feels like VSF and starts feeling more like historicals.

I would say that if you have Russians of a particular period, maybe you should shift your time frame toward what you have, either that or come up with a suitable reason why your Russians are dressed the way that they are. Maybe a change in history?

I know that there has been a discussion in my gaming group about doing a steampunk/VSF sort of thing set in the early 20th century around the period of WW1 as an extension of a VSF timeline. Yes, trenches on Mars.

-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
Thanks for all the information, guys! I was wondering about the BoB stuff because I have a bunch of them in my own lead mountain and will be getting more in short order. Yes, Ramshackle_Curtis, that's what I was thinking(not the Space Marines though). And for the aliens part, I was thinking of Space Lizard-men.

Imagination won't be too hard, I got so many bits, bobs and doodads just waiting to be used.