Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690983
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Frostheim -SORRY- ALL PHOTOS PRIOR TO P.14 ARE INACCESSIBLE  (Read 55275 times)

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
Re: Koyote in Frostheim
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2016, 03:19:03 AM »

This armor looks perfect!  How did you paint it like that?  I have a mini I want to paint and have its armor look different than the typical lighter versions.   It's awesome! :)

I want to paint the knight on the right in the following photo, the same color as your guy's plate armor.  Did you apply gunmetal and then a dark wash?   Love the dark look.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2016, 07:10:19 PM »
It's a fairly simple recipe.  I begin with a basecoat of Citadel's Leadbelcher.  Next I apply Citadel's Nuln Oil wash, straight out of the bottle.  Once dry, I apply thin lines of Citadel's Agrax Earthshade wash to some of the recesses and add a dab here and there to create spots of tarnish.  The flatter the recess, the more you should water down Agrax.  Once that's dry, I thin  some Leadbelcher with water on my pallate and use this to create bands of highlighting on the raised areas.  Next, I do the same with thinned Citadel's Runefang Steel, but since this is a brighter highlight, the highlight bands are thinner and restricted to edges and the highest points of raised features.  My final step is to do some touch up.  If the bands of highlight didn't blend properly, you can correct this by applying a thinned down wash of Nuln Oil, sparingly, to the transition area.  Of course, you can always apply a little more Leadbelcher or Runefang to those areas that need it, but if you do, thin it down some so you don't end up with too much paint build up.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2016, 05:27:47 AM »
I finished another Averlander. 

Corporal Emrich

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2016, 04:53:48 PM »
There are quite a few recasters selling OOP Mordheim and WFB minis on eBay right now.  One sells from Serbia, one or two from China, another from Brazil, still another from Canada, several from the UK (I think the UK folks are working with the same supplier or they are the same person), and one selling from a New York address.  You know that their models are recasts by the depth of their supply and the fact that all of their minis are really, really shiny.  Almost like they were cast yesterday.  The Serbian recaster is a bit more clever. He advertises and sells his minis coated in white primer.

I've purchased models from a few of these folks, and overall the quality of the minis is pretty good.  The only trouble I've run into is a purchase I made from a Chinese recaster who sells his minis-prepainted. After stripping the paint from my purchase, an Empire Captain with Gory Sword, I noticed all the flaws. The model's feet and legs were in the worst shape, but it didn't bother me much because I was already planning to replace the model's stumpy, little bird legs with longer and more muscular legs. Also, I wanted to swap out the Orc head for a Beastman head.

I think that this fellow will make a fine Captain or Men-at-Arms.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
Ranger

And...

Everyone knows, the bigger the feathers the greater the warrior.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
I purchased some scatter terrain from THMiniatures. After some trial and error, I think I've settled on a paint scheme.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:50:38 PM by Koyote »

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
I still have more scatter terrain left to paint, but I managed to get a dozen pieces painted in time for tonight's gaming.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »
A few weeks ago someone pointed out that my Frostheim terrain could use some wooden walkways to connect some of the buildings to one another.  After a bit of searching I found some terrific, pre-painted resin cast walkways made by the UK company, Apocalypse Miniatures.

And yes, I know, walkways are simple to make and paint, but I would rather spend my hobby time elsewhere. Plus, they are painted quite nicely.  I like that the planks vary in colors.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
Good stuff by any measure, let alone pre-painted. Nice find!

Decent haul of scatter terrain too - the more line of sight blocking in Frostgrave, the better.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2017, 06:52:43 PM »
GW's Dreadstone Blight ruined tower is my next terrain project. It will make a nice centerpiece for my Frostheim table.   

My modifications are are fairly simple. I added to the third floor some additional rubble to create cover on three sides. I can see getting this model painted and then accidentally breaking off the third floor, so I added a vertical support to strengthen GW's poor design. I also added a ladder.

Down on the bottom floor I covered up the shallow pit to make the floor a bit more level. Tippy Model Syndrome in pain in the @ss.  I also created a 28mm man-sized breach on the backside of tower to let more light in and to give models an additional entrance/exit.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
I've finished the last of my THMiniatures terrain. Time to get to work on my tower.

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »
Koyote, how dou you paint your rocks? Just black + more white + more white, or dou you use specific greys? I'm asking becuase I like how they turned out :)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
If your tower looks as good as those ruins, it's gonna be awesome!