Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames  (Read 7112 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
I have no doubt the game will be excellent. I've had heaps of fun with Drop Zone Commander, and to have this extra layer on top (literally) would certainly add to the fun. And with the fact that the same guys who did DZC, plus Andy frickin' Chambers are designing it, it's an almost sure bet that this will be good.

Plus: those satelite image maps are just awesome! I could see myself using them for X-wing as well. Battle over Tatooine or Coruscant anyone? 8)

However; the Kickstarter itself is leaving me rather underwhelmed at this point. It's all add-ons, but little to no freebies (unless you go in at the highest levels).

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Myth and Mercs:Recon Kickstarters, but at this rate, I'll simply wait for the game to be retailing...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »

However; the Kickstarter itself is leaving me rather underwhelmed at this point. It's all add-ons, but little to no freebies (unless you go in at the highest levels).

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Myth and Mercs:Recon Kickstarters, but at this rate, I'll simply wait for the game to be retailing...

My thoughts exactly, for a KS it is to little freebie.
Basically it is now a pre-order with no real benefit.

I pledged, but I might jump off soon. They are in addition not very responsive to questions etc.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
Guys, please don't start with that. I've had a faceful of it already, elsewhere. It's about helping to fund a new game and range of minis, not about preordering and making them cut their own throats for you.

Or put it this way: if you're going to preorder or order anyway, why not do it now with a bit of a discount and give Hawk a tiny little bit of a legup to be able to bring it to preorder?

So many big kickstarters offer a bizarre, arcane range of bribes and dangling carrots to squeeze a bit more cash out of folks, and so many then seem to mess up or cut corners in some way. I think it's refreshing that Hawk has a pretty straightforward, basic list of needs and offers (even an aim to support LGSs, rather than get stuck in a cycle of KS preorders like some others), and that's partly why this is the first big KS I've backed.

Maybe they'll still run into trouble with the sheer demand that's already occured, just in the first few days, but I'll bet that keeping it simple won't add to that potential pitfall.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:57:57 PM by Vermis »

Offline Njall

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
I really hope we'll be able to choose which fleet we receive with the Captain pledge. I don't really care for the Scourge and being able to start with UCM and PHR fleet would be more interesting (for me at least  :D )

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
Must confess I would like the 'exclusive' model but am really not sure about buying two boxed sets to get it...

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Agreed, the whole high pledge thing is a bit irritating....

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »
I'll watch this and see how it gets on... I love these sort of games, but already have a few (that I already don't play!  :'().

I do like the exclusive ship, but I feel that as well as an exclusive freebie for £110 pledges, it should also be available as an add-on for a number of the lower pledges too.

I understand not wanting to overload the KS with lots of free stuff, but at the same time I think at least offering the exclusive model to KS backers for money seems fair. Not doing so at all unless you pledge £x is a bit churlish however. :?

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:53 AM »
Quite tempted by this one. I wasn't too keen on the Scourge ships, but they're growing on me. I do really like the UCM ships, and the idea of fighting above a planet is a nice touch.

The lack of bolt-ons, and limiting certain ones to specific pledge levels, however, is making me pause

Plenty of time to decide...

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »
Damn it is hard to decide a sum to pledge. To many nice things. The Kickstarter seems to be gooing great and it feels reasuring to read over and over again that Hawk does not want to overstretch themselves and promising something they cant hold.

Now Im hoping to something more about the Shaltari ships. Maybe Im just coloured by the fact that I play them in Dropzone but I think they are the least impressive sculpts.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »

Evidently there's now another KS exclusive UCM ship available as a bolt-on.
No clue how big that thing is but when you can bolt-on a starter fleet for 35£ and this single ship is 40£, I'd assume big.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »
That bolt on is a display piece. It's twice as big as the rest.
This is not a gaming model
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Or...you bash up some rules for a super ship.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 07:21:19 PM »
Im guessing it will be BIG. Its twice the size of an battleship in Dropfleet but they havnt really revealed the size of an battleship yet. Keep in mind that the ships in the kickstarter are just up to cruser clas or something.  :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
Agreed, the whole high pledge thing is a bit irritating....

Apart from the horrible reputation of various KS projects that have been absolute disasters, exclusive models that are impossible to get unless you're a millionaire are what turns me off of KS. Sure, I'm poor, that's true, but I don't want it rubbed in my face when I can't participate!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
Only 49h left and lots of stretchgoal have been unlocked.
Im hoping that they will unlock the Frigate bonanza at 500k which seems plausible. Frigates for all...  :D

Here are some new videos.