Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames foundry/othe colonial ranges 28mm comparison question  (Read 14387 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: Wargames foundry/othe colonial ranges 28mm comparison question
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 09:12:56 PM »
Here's a comparison shot between Foundry (Askari on the left) and Northstar Africa (porter on the right)
Hope that helps.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 02:43:24 AM »
Kommando_J, I think you'd be missing out if you didn't buy a few of the Wargames Foundry Darkest Africa packs. They are classic. I don't feel that the figures or the weapons are undersized.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 02:51:36 AM »
I meant the ones of the left the Indian Mutiny Colonial range seems to be in places closer to 25mm, as you can see in the pack, the officers aren't too bad, the DA seem to be slightly bigger.

I think that using foundry troops would be too much as the rifles are noticeably small.

Offline johnpreece

• Schoolboy
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
Regarding the Indian Mutiny ranges and Foundry.

This image shows (or it should as this is my first attempt to post):

Perry BIF, Iron Duke, Foundry Indian Mutiny.

The Foundry figure is shorter and stockier, I would be happy using them for the odd officer or individual but would not mix units.  The other two are a perfect mix. Mutineer figures are I believe, a little larger than any of these?

John

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
''The Foundry figure is shorter and stockier, I would be happy using them for the odd officer or individual but would not mix units.'' 

My thoughts exactly, I can get away with it with the officers but with troops the uniformity of the foundry stuff/scale would stick out too much.

''The other two are a perfect mix. Mutineer figures are I believe, a little larger than any of these?''

Slightly bulkier but the same height I think. I'd point out in your pic(thanks by the way very helpful) that the Paul Hicks fellow does have a thicker base than the foundry guy next to him, file that down and you could get comparable height.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 04:41:36 AM »
Gents,

Does anyone have any comments or preferably pics of a comparison shot between the Mutineer Miniatures range and the new Iron Duke miniatures range? The ID range looks superb and I'm wondering how they'll fit with my current Mutineer minis.

Kind regards

Happy W

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:44:12 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 05:58:33 AM »
Something that wasn't an unpleasant surprise for me - while the humans from Foundry's Mutiny and Mutiny-adjacent ranges match reasonably well with Mutineer (just a hair smaller), the Foundry horses look like ponies next to Mutineer's. So while I'm getting a fair number of Foundry figs for my own in-progress African project, the mounted are all Empress and Perry (so far - maybe some North Star later on.)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Just a tip that maybe could be useful..the Redoubt classic colonial ranges are enormous and you're right to "stay away" from them...BUT..some less publiced pair of ranges from the same manufacture are small and perfectly compatible with the above mentioned Foundry, OG, Empress..they are the Boxer Rebellion and the Boer War ranges.from which useful figures could be find also for Colonial Africa..officers, nice sailors, mounted infantry both on horse and dismounted in shirt sleeves, boer irregulars ecc...i strongly suggest those minis ..not only because they could be choosed and bought singles...

rightly said

to add my contribution to this useful topic :
You can add to the "Foundry", the following manucfacturer, often forgotten because very discrete :
* Rapier Miniatures http://www.rapierminiatures.co.uk/page/Range/28mm_Zulu_Wars.html
* Newline Design Boer/afghan range : http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=521_523
* Studio Miniatures http://www.studiominiatures.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=47&Itemid=470

i'm not sure for the Studio ones because i saw them at CRISIS but i can't compare them with the others.

here it is a pic i have in stock about scale comparison in my blog :

and a zulu one :

Cheers
Eric

cheers
Eric
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »
hey

here i add a picture of my Rapier Miniatures to show you some examples of they Zulu war range

Cheers
Eric