Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars Blasters  (Read 2282 times)

Offline MacavityandMycroft

• Assistant
Star Wars Blasters
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
     Hello all!  I'm in the process of creating a massive, ridiculous tournament to battle 'between worlds'.  I've managed to approximate a lot (Nazgul, The Hulk) with minimal new rules (Yay, Joe!)

There will be a significant Star Wars presence, and I'm debating allowing them to fire twice an activation.  I feel like, based on what is actually seen in the movies, Storm Troopers in particular rely on massed fire, as opposed to any individual skill.

Recognizing that perfect balance is not a goal (Pippin will have little chance against Vader), in crowded terrain do you think allowing multiple attacks is understandable for quick firing weapons?  The current plan is to have no shoot bonus and to treat a second attack as if the figure had already moved.

Thoughts?

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
Re: Star Wars Blasters
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
Only Imperial Storm Troopers are so precise  lol

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
I think if they have a low enough shoot stat to show that they have little accuracy then an extra shot for quantity over quality should work okay

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »
        Recognizing that perfect balance is not a goal (Pippin will have little chance against Vader), in crowded terrain do you think allowing multiple attacks is understandable for quick firing weapons? 

No.

The Star Wars miniatures games that have come out treat all their gunfire for a round as a single attack, with a few exceptions. Also, I don't want to do the math right now, but I'm pretty certain that 2 attacks at +0 is going to be superior to a single attack at +2 most of the time.

If you are looking to make blasters superior to bows and crossbows, I would suggest giving them the +2 damage a crossbow would get, without the need to reload between shots.

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
Thanks, Adam.  You make a good point about the existing miniature versions.

I'm not claiming to have decided quite yet, but your alternative sounds good.  I want the 'logical' rules oriented choice to reflect stereotypical behaviour, i.e. there should be no good reason for Storm Troopers to choose close combat.  A higher damage while maintaining the legendary bad accuracy might be the best option.

I have "FrostGraved" a number of abilities, as they have all been transported to this universe where things work differently.  Daredevil and the Jedi, for instance, have to 'cast' Combat Awareness.  My major goal, rather than balance, is an appropriate feel.  I think you might have found it for me, here.

Now, letting HAN shoot twice might be a good heroic option...

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
Now, letting HAN shoot twice might be a good heroic option...
Just so long as he does it first!  lol

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »
Just so long as he does it first!  lol

;D The temptation to use a tonne of new rules is nearly overwhelming, I restrain as best I can.

It's really a compliment to the game that it's so easy to adapt characters to it.  The Witch King, for instance, as an actual Witch with Poison Dart and Curse, conveys his abilities quite well.

The real temptation in Star Wars (partly because of an ill-spent foray into generic sci-fi wargaming) is that I have so many figures, and many are, by and large, identical.  Not really worth separating Rebel Troopers from Mon Cal ones, or Bespin Guard.... but I sometimes want to very badly!  Mr. Solo may need to be satisfied with a marksman-like Shooting Value.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 02:22:24 AM »
Only Imperial Storm Troopers are so precise  lol

I was always under the impression that Storm Troopers were meant to be crack shock troops, but that Lucas made the mistake of telling and not showing.  Of course, we couldn't have Storm Troopers cutting down the heroes in a hail of blaster fire, so they were unintentionally made to look bad.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »
We used 'Marksman' for the Stormtroopers. Gives them +3 Shoot, 12 Armour and +2 Damage from the Crossbow (Blaster).
Then it's up to the D20 whether you get Tantive IV or Endor Stormtroopers.

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:02:42 PM »
We used 'Marksman' for the Stormtroopers. Gives them +3 Shoot, 12 Armour and +2 Damage from the Crossbow (Blaster).
Then it's up to the D20 whether you get Tantive IV or Endor Stormtroopers.

Part of my decision making is to keep things more relative within worlds than between them.  A Highly competent marksmen in Frostgrave has +3 shoot so Legolas, a highly competent marksman in his world gets that as well.  As far as Star Wars is concerned, a Stormtrooper's only noticeable advantage over a rebel trooper is armour.  They all qualify as "pretty normal dudes" which in FrostGrave terms says thug, not marksman to me.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »
Stormtrooper Armor actually inhibits their ability to shoot straight, which is partially offset by the MFTAS (Multi Frequency Targeting Acquisitioning System) in their helmet which lets them track fast moving targets. They are better at shooting people who are running away from them, than those who stand and fight.

Also, Obi Wan Kenobi is about the only person in the Star Wars Universe who describes StormTrooper's shooting skills as precise  ;)

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
Obi Wan Kenobi is about the only person in the Star Wars Universe who describes StormTrooper's shooting skills as precise  ;)

And we know he's never bent the truth before!   ;)