Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Utility of 3 sided fields?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Utility of 3 sided fields?
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:25:50 AM »
Three sided fields, you're no doubt wondering?  Don't you mean triangular?  Um, no.

I'm thinking of building the "surrounds" of fields with three sides only for most of them, sides being fences, hedges, walls, or tree lines.  What I envision is abutting a three sided "surround" up against a "fourth wall" which could be another field or a tree line or whatever to get more "bang for the buck" as it were.  Or maybe building as described with the "fourth wall" a separate piece that can be used stand alone or to make the "surround" complete.

Also planning some straight lengths of some size for lining paths, roads, or waterways - even towns and such.

Just a thought.

Also thinking to build the bases within the surrounds as flat and basic with lay in fields so those can vary to match a scenario - or a theater of operations for that matter.  Something sort of like the sabot base phenomenon.

Curious to see if anyone else has done this -photos would be cool if available.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Utility of 3 sided fields?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »
I have not done this myself.  It sounds like a very good idea so I would say run with it.  My fields are based crops that can be placed/removed in sections and then I just use standard walls and hedges to mark field boundaries.  Your method would definitely unify the whole field and create a more cinematic scene. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
Re: Utility of 3 sided fields?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable idea. Same intent as making a building and leaving the back off, right?

Thinking some more though: what would you do about the fourth side? So, you'd have a field with 3 fences built onto the base, and then what? If you're going to make a fourth fence on its own separate base, then why not do that with all four fences? That would maximize your versatility, more so than just separating one.

If you were making Normandy bocage, you could build the hedgerows onto the side(s) of a road, or side(s) of a field, but you'd be better off keeping them all separate, so you could have hedges between fields without any road, and use the roads in a village.

So, what things would benefit from some added access or modularity, but are impractical to build if you take it to the extreme? I'm struggling to think of an example of 'natural' feature that is ideal. Although, as Snitchy says, at the very least it will look a bit more "integrated" and natural.

Thanks, now I'm going to be thinking about this all day.  :P

- H8