Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:46:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed - 15mm trains  (Read 3546 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Help needed - 15mm trains
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »
Hello all

I´m doing some OW stuff in 15mm for a friend and i´m using Blue Moon miniatures.
My friend would like a train and some wagons to go with those miniatures so does someone can advise me on trains for that scale?
It doesnt need to work and can be of resin, plastic or metal. Just need to be cheap.
I know the Peter Pig train but i fear its too small for Blue Moon figures!! :?
Any tip/advise?

Cheers

Rui

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
Re: Help needed - 15mm trains
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »
The Peter Pig one is the only one that I know of in that scale. The only other option that I'm aware of is looking for stuff in TT Scale. I'm just not sure what's available in that scale, its a bit on the rare side, and its likely to be on the expensive side.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:48:56 AM »
The Blue Moon western minis are probably big enough that you could get away with an HO gauge train. You will be looking for a 4-4-0 "American" engine. For cars you want shorter rolling stock; 30' wood box cars, 32' "Shorty" passenger cars or 40' regular passenger cars. You need to pay attention though, you don't want anything modern. The Roundhouse/MDC brand is your best bet for some of this stuff.

If I was really going to use HO I would lean towards HOn3 (narrow gauge). The rails are going to be closer together and look better with the minis but rolling stock tends to be expensive and I'm not sure that anyone has made a 4-4-0 or even a 4-6-0 in narrow gauge yet. They are likely to be expensive as well.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 06:10:50 AM »
Excepting plastic models from Glencoe, which I have, the only other reasonable 15 mm option for old west trains is Peter Pig, which I also have.  In addition, I have both Blue Moon and Peter Pig old west figures (amongst many others) and I would not hesitate to use Blue Moon figures with the Peter Pig train.  Often times in photos of 28 mm games the trains overwhelm the scene they are so big.  The HOn3 advise is good if you want to spend a small fortune for a train that will be fragile - and an outright invitation to thieves. 

Go with Peter Pig.  I have a bunch and order some more.  I will be using their flat cars as a basis fro creating some stock cars, some tank cars, and a few tenders for some of my Glencoe locomotives.  I don't think you'll be disappointed - unless you are a diehard purist.  But then you wouldn't really be doing Old West wood you?  It is such a Hollywood "period" despite the spectacular amount of history of the real west.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
Heisler and FifteensAway, many thanks for the help and advise.

Heisler, i will check the options you gave me but i think for what my friend wants i will go for the Peter Pig option with maybe some convertion on it.

FifteensAway, the only "problem" is that i´m familiar with Peter Pig scale and they seem much smaller than Blue Moon and i think the train will look small compared with the miniatures.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
The only other option that I'm aware of is looking for stuff in TT Scale. I'm just not sure what's available in that scale, its a bit on the rare side, and its likely to be on the expensive side.

TT is a scale of German origin (1/120 running on 12mm gauge track). Therefore you will hardly find Old West stuff in that scale, unless you are willing to convert Prussian steam engines to approach an American design.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
Michael, thanks for the clarification on the scale and availability. :)

I just remembered that i have 2 Kleeware locomotives for the period.
1 i converted some years ago to something i dont even know (the backside). o_o
The other one is still in one piece on the box. :D
I took 2 comparative pictures of it with Old Glory 15mm ACW mounted on 1 cent coins. The locomotive is on a HO track.
I also have some Dapol plastic wagons in OO scale.
Let me know what you think.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:37:43 AM »
That is an unusual locomotive. It is of American origin built in 1863 for the Southern Pacific Railway. Looks like there may have only been three built. It basically didn't have enough traction to operate effectively.

Does it actually fit on HO track or is it sitting between the rails?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 04:53:03 AM »
That locomotive looks very much like one of the Glencoe models - but in the larger scale.  The Glencoe 1:120 model works much better with 15 mm (or 18 mm) in my opinion.  That one in your photo just looks too large.  Again, a slightly under scale train works better in my opinion - for the same reason that slightly under scale buildings seem to work better.

I don't have time to get a photo up but I'm looking at a Blue Moon figure next to the Peter Pig locomotive and it works just fine, head just a bit above one of the driving wheels - and it is one of the western figures, in a duster pointing a rifle.  For thoroughness, I also pulled out one of the Peter Pig coaches and it also compares well.

I'll go so far as to say not only do the Blue Moon figures size well with the Peter Pig trains but that Peter Pig figures are a bit undersized for the trains.

I think you should go with the Peter Pig trains - and/or find the Glencoe models in 1:120.  Will work better than HO (1:87) versus (1:100 appx for 18 mm figures, 1:120 apps for 15 mm figures).  If you don't believe me, hunt the web for a photo of both side by side if  you can.  You'll be convinced.

Oh, for the record, I have no stock or other interest in Peter Pig except as a customer. 

Good luck with your project whatever you decide.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:11:11 PM »
Heisler, the locomotive is called "General" and until the cabin its the kit.
The small back part and the back wheels are a conversion.

FifteensAway, i believe you and i will opt for the Peter Pig train and cars. Just 1 more question.
Does Peter Pig has is own tracks or the train goes on a N scale track?

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
Interesting, although they can certainly name it what ever they like. The historical version of the General is an American 4-4-0 and the tender should be separate. But its all good on the gaming table.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 05:25:37 AM »
Rui,

According to Peter Pig, trains can use TT scale track which might be easier to find in Europe than here in the states.  I plan to create my own using loose rail and loose ties (sleepers in England) from model railroad shop.  I plan to make a LOT of track for my trains, a lot more than just a line of track to cross the board for my set up.  I will create the track on a bit of a rise and include at least one bridge and probably one very short (as in height) trestle - some scenarios require one or the other.  And not to forget at least one tunnel.

But my set up qualifies me to wear shirts with the sleeves on back, and the buckles for the sleeves on back, too!   ::)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
I plan to create my own using loose rail and loose ties (sleepers in England) from model railroad shop. 
But my set up qualifies me to wear shirts with the sleeves on back, and the buckles for the sleeves on back, too!   ::)

If that would be the truth, I´d be locked away for a long time now...
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35212.0

I plan to create my own using loose rail and loose ties (sleepers in England) from model railroad shop. 
For tracks you can also look for HOn31⁄2 gauge represents the modelling of 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) gauge, resulting in a model track gauge of 12 mm (0.472 in) (the same as HOm and TT scale).
HOm and TT are indeed easier to find in Europe, supposedly in particular in Germany. http://www.tillig.com/Gleise.html

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
Michael, Heisler and FifteensAway, again many thanks for your help.
I will leave this thread for others to have the information and if anyone wishes to add something please do.