Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:14:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690760
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest purchase - Antares - edited 26th February with the Ghar Command Crawler  (Read 34189 times)

Online philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
It's here… Dunno why I'm so excited about this (heck, I'm supposed to be a serious historical gamer!), but I am! The shipping box is smaller (approximately 13" x 10" x 3" or 330 x 250 x 75 mm) than I'd expected - I'd expected something around the size of the LotR starter boxes, what with the Warlord lads all being ex-GW (and John Stallard having pretty much invented the 'game in a box' concept for Warhammer)… But it's a pretty heavy box (2.6kg - yes, I'm sad and I weighed it!).

Upon opening it…

And the box is absolutely jam-packed with goodies:

Now I'm going to look at the bits for a while… I may be gone some time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:29:15 AM by philhendry »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Latest purchase - Antares
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:43:16 PM »
Looks great Phil.  :D

I know what you mean as well, I buckled and pre-ordered the rulebook over the weekend. First sci-fi gaming for me since WH40k 2nd edition. I won some Freeborn on eBay and am trying to choose between them and the Isorians. Although, the plastics in the starter set look great...  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
 Got mine today too.

The rule book is great and i cant wait to get more Ghar miniatures to create a force.

Fartok is a very nice character miniature.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:32:56 PM »
Good to see them arriving - I ordered mine from Dark Sphere so it may take a few days yet.

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »
I'm feeling sorely tempted after looking at this, sorely tempted indeed ...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Despite reading the rules, seeing the battle reports, looking at the models, and considering the starter, I just cannot seem to get interested/excited by BtGoA.

However, I am still curious, and hopefully I can vicariously enjoy and learn more about it through you!

I therefore thank you for posting this, and look forward to your further thoughts and updates as you unpack, assemble, and play it. :)

Online philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:57:24 PM »
I therefore thank you for posting this, and look forward to your further thoughts and updates as you unpack, assemble, and play it. :)
Progress will probably be slow… I am in the middle of a big, big, project - painting figures for refights of Pyrrhus' battles in Italy at about 1:75 - so I have well over 1,000 figures to paint in total… of which I've done about 350 so far.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
I'm tempted by the Ghar but not so much the Concord, the Vanilla Space Marines of BtGoA. I'd have been all over a starter box with any two of the Ghar, the Isorians and the Freeborn. The Concord do make commercial sense for a starter box, though. Can't deny that.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Progress will probably be slow… I am in the middle of a big, big, project - painting figures for refights of Pyrrhus' battles in Italy at about 1:75 - so I have well over 1,000 figures to paint in total… of which I've done about 350 so far.

Heh, no rush - don't worry!  lol

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »
 After picking up my first box of Freeborn at the Border Reiver show this Year i now have a good starting point for Freeborn along with Boromites.Got a few packs of the Algoryn with more on the way.I need to get the AI units and the AI assault unit too.
 The hard thing will be waiting for more Ghar to be released to get a playable force with a few different options.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 02:13:53 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday and the quality of the figures and the rule book is very good indeed!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 06:03:13 AM »
After picking up my first box of Freeborn at the Border Reiver show this Year i now have a good starting point for Freeborn along with Boromites.Got a few packs of the Algoryn with more on the way.I need to get the AI units and the AI assault unit too.
 The hard thing will be waiting for more Ghar to be released to get a playable force with a few different options.

I'm hoping that there will be a rather large release for all the armies with the rulebook officially coming out this weekend.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »
I got my box yesterday as well. Haven't been at an opportunity to crack the box open yet tho but I suppose I'll have to make the effort today so I can get the full kicks out of preordering o_o

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
 I ordered another set Yesterday.Need more Ghar ;).

I too hope lots of new releases start to appear over the coming months.

The Ghar force box should be one of them i hope.More units would be great for the little guys.

Offline Mr Evil

• Librarian
    • Evil Bear Wargames
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »
My box arrievd on tuesday, every one who has seen the book has been blown away, you will not regret getting this game trust me !!!

Its one of those you cant put down rule books...

the minis are great by the way,, but the book is awesome.