Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How far does it stretch(I need a tonne of info)  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: How far does it stretch(I need a tonne of info)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »
Thats the great thing about VSF. You can use a lot of different pieces...

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:49 PM »
Hello all. Well since before I've been interested in VSF, read a few books, watched some stuff, and my interest has only increased since finding the LAF. But I still know too little for my own good. Don't wanna fly too far over the coocoo's nest yet.

What I'm wondering is:

1) I know this is oriented around Victorian times, however how far can one stray chronologically in either direction while still staying with it?

2)Is there anyone else other than the Brits and Prussians(as I gather from this place) that fits in?

3)Would a Russian VSF army fit the ticket(Of course you realize I'll make one anyhow), and if so, is there related material I could be directed to?

4)Would I be able to get away with BoB Russians for my basic infantry?

PS: The animated Atlantis movie is awesome! And you all were right, VSF drags you in like a black hole. I've already been working on a few contraptions which I've decided to call 'Cicada' unless I find a better name. Pictures will wait till I've painted them up.

1) Strictly speaking, VSF covers from about 1840 to 1901, but many of us allow this toy extend up to WW1 - i.e. 1840 to 1914. My advice is to choose a dete within theis period and collect stuff from 5 or 10 years either side of that date. It works for me!

2) Choose any army you want. I have British (1880s home service and WW1 colonial), Prussians, German Colonial (WW1), Japanese (based on my 1901 Boxer rebellion force), and 'Turks' (my next big VSF army - watch this space!). Also small forces US marines (circa 1900) and French in VSF equipment.

3) I also hav ethe start of a VSF Russian army, for which I am using WW1 Russians (from Battle Honours) painted in dark green uniforms similar to thse of Boxer Rebellion or Russo-Japanese War, plus Cossacks, dragoons with torpedo lances and a am working on a Siberian steam tank (with a trailer to carry wood to fuel its engine). To this force I will also add Faberge clockwork automatons.

4) See Dewbakuk's comment son this thread. If you stick to figures wearing caps and tunics (paint dark dreen) or shirts (paint white) I think these should look fine. Avoid the khaki unifrorms of Russo-Japanese war and WW1. However, this is Victorian Scince FICTION, so you can get away with just about anything.

Dave
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 03:21:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, you guys have gone above and beyond. I think I might go a few years past 1901, because I want a few crude and barely-capable planes. And like I said, I'll be showing pictures once some of the stuff is complete(assuming I can avoid being distracted by shiny lead in need of some attention)!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »
I second what Chairface said, Sterling Moose is putting a Russian VSF army together and some of his contraptions are inspired. We'll have to persuade him to post some pics.

As for flyers, you can still have them pre 1901. Just invent the technology to go with them, even then it doesn't have to be scientifically astounding. Whenever anyone asks me what the tech is behind my flyers I just change the subject or pretend to faint, never fails.   ;)
Don't!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
A follow-up to the mighty Thunderchicken,

Don't be afraid to mix up your tech. Sure aeroplanes didn't take off til the early 20th century, IN THE REAL WORLD. But in a world with clockwork soldiers, airships, steamtanks, etc., etc. you can pretty much have anything as long as it looks suitably VSF. I am sure that some astounding tinkerer or mad scientist could crack flight if Nemo could pretty much crack atomic power.

You had mentioned Atlantis in your initial post. The flyers in their are a great example of VSF aircraft. They are functional, but just cookie enough to not seem out of place. Of course, the tech in that movie was a bit more 1914, but who's counting and that makes a great case for using your later Russians and still keeping it VSF, you just have to fudge the "V" part.

-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »
Resurecting this one slightly. Something had been bugging me about my post and the comment on the Brigade games shirts. So I went back to my books. As a summer uniform from 1881 onwards, the brigade games russians are almost bang on, if you wanted to be precise, then the neck opening shouldn't have so many buttons. That rifle wasn't issued until the 1890's but meh.

The other one for consideration is:

Change the hat for a furry one (papaha?) and paint in a dark green tunic with blue trousers and you have the Frontier Guard. An elite force which acted in a similar function to the Mounties, made up of experienced ex-soldiers who were better paid and equipped than the regulars.

As you can probably tell, I've been thinking about doing Russians for a while now :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
or US armies.

Heard a rumor a US army is headed this way... but they are still in the mail...  ;)

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
What about the martian sealed suit troopers? Or the cavalry mounted on clockwork horses? WHat about the steam armour and the automatons? WHat about victorian styled powered armour? What about all the odd ligning cannons and maretian invasion fleets?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
What about the martian sealed suit troopers? Or the cavalry mounted on clockwork horses? WHat about the steam armour and the automatons? WHat about victorian styled powered armour? What about all the odd ligning cannons and maretian invasion fleets?

All of which is fine, but it means nothing if not backed up by the boys who do the actual work. The Jolly Infantry!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 01:14:06 AM »
Indeed, well I got all the information I was after. Just need to secure some funds to buy suitable infantry and whatnot. The steam-driven stuff shan't be to hard to make with all of my hoarded doodads.