Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A question on Redoubt  (Read 9980 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: A question on Redoubt
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:11 PM »
Thanks mate, will do.

BTW, I was looking for VSFish cavalry and thought that the Foundry Crimean Range was probably a pretty good fit for home service.  For Prussian cavalry, Foundry's Franco-Prussian range seems serviceable.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:34:43 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
Speaking about service...

I just ordered some Victorian Brits from Redoubt.  (OH NO!  I'm falling into the VSF abyss!)

Good man! Carry on  lol

When I did so, I got an email stating that my order was pending.  I think it was pending because I live in Spain and they need to figure out how much it costs to ship.

Anyway... are Redoubt pretty good at shipping things off?

Sorry for going OT...

I've also had nothing but excellent service from them, both by post and at shows.

BTW, Crimean Hussars and 17th Lancers would work admirably. The Heavy Dragoons etc would probably be ok, but might need a head-swap, although as it's VSF.....  ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »
Speaking about service...

I just ordered some Victorian Brits from Redoubt.  (OH NO!  I'm falling into the VSF abyss!)

Good man! Carry on  lol

When I did so, I got an email stating that my order was pending.  I think it was pending because I live in Spain and they need to figure out how much it costs to ship.

Anyway... are Redoubt pretty good at shipping things off?

Sorry for going OT...

I've also had nothing but excellent service from them, both by post and at shows.

BTW, Crimean Hussars and 17th Lancers would work admirably. The Heavy Dragoons etc would probably be ok, but might need a head-swap, although as it's VSF.....  ;)

Be careful about the Foundry Crimea and FPW figures as they are small in comparison to most current ranges, being true 25mm. They will come up very short next to Redoubt figures. It doesn't bother me as I freely use all sorts of stuff. My Prussians are mostly Foundry and I have Redoubt Brits. But some are put off by scale differences.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:17:36 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 01:30:54 PM »
Ahh...

Thanks Malamute, haven't gotten my hands on any Redoubt figures... yet, so thanks for the heads up.

As for Redoubt, do you think they will sell you the heads alone?  Thinking here about using their home service helmets and mounting them on other mini's.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
I think that the ACW range from Redoubt is indeed one of the best around. Not only they produce the basic troop types but they also do all kind of extra (Navy figures, camp scene, etc.) that being said, there’s a few things that  bother me a little in the range. Personally I don’t really like their horses. I also found that the artillery pieces are too big (I found the wheels are too thick) and some of the heads I received were miscast (the mould were obliviously not well aligned). Don’t get me wrong, I really love this range of figures and I would probably have bought a lot more if I had the money. It’s just that those little things I talked about earlier means more work and adaptation.

As for the service it’s quite good but it was a little slow. They don’t seem to make a priority to answer to e-mail either. That’s just my experience, the order I made was complete none the less.

You can see some photos of my Redoubt ACW on this tread; http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7675.0

Sizewise, I think they will fit well with Perry’s even if they are a tad bigger and less thin… as for pictures of the heads, I really don’t recall having seen any on the web.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:37:09 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »
Ahh...

Thanks Malamute, haven't gotten my hands on any Redoubt figures... yet, so thanks for the heads up.

As for Redoubt, do you think they will sell you the heads alone?  Thinking here about using their home service helmets and mounting them on other mini's.

Sadly they (The VSF range) are one piece castings, so the heads are not separate. Its only the ACW and Three musketeers that come with a choice of heads.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »
Are you mixing these with Foundry Dewbak ?

No, thankfully. They'll be fielded with my Warrior Mini's Prussians (Germans). If I like them though I may use some for my Venusian militia too, although they'll be mounted on dinosaurs though, not those silly death-chickens  :P

as for pictures of the heads, I really don’t recall having seen any on the web.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to. Well, when some pennies arrive in my bank account next week, I think I'll place an order for the bodies I want to make the Jager out of. They come in packs of six which is annoying when making units of ten, but as I won't be using any of the heads for them, I'll get a selection of different ones to have a look.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »
...I may use some for my Venusian militia too, although they'll be mounted on dinosaurs though, not those silly death-chickens  :P

Sounds like a challenge.  ;)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »
Given that those Thunderchickens I posted a link to already have saddles, I would just need riders to create a squadron of Her Imperial Majesty's First Venusian Mounted Scout Brigade, and Redoubt seem to be the only place I could get riders of the right period wthout ending up with a bunch of spare horses.

The Thunderchickens look quite large as they are shown with GW riders on the site, so I'm guessing Redoubt would be in scale, but there are no pictures of most of the models I'm interested in (mainly the natal colonial police, boers and such).

Sooooooooo have I been sculpted and turned into some sort of mule?

Anyway, all this talk of Venusian campaigns has got my head spinning with ideas and my heart sinking at the thought of the cost.

So what sort of campaign ideas do you chaps have in mind?
Don't!

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »
Redoubt ACW - Very nice figures, and not nearly as large as their Zulu range.  Will probably do just fine against other 28mm lines.  When released, they used to run ads with very nice line drawings in Wargames Illustrated.  Anyone with a good collection should be able to find drawings of the ones you're interested in.  Slouch Hats was it?  I'll have a look myself.

Home Service Cavalry - IMHO, HLBS make the best.  They are better sculpts than their HS infantry, and cast to order, so I'm sure they would sell you just the riders.  In Marching Order, cavalry on home service wouldn't wear a spiked helmet like the infantry.  They would wear the appropriate helmet/busby/czapska/etc..., but without the plumes, and in the case of lancers, covered.  Of course, all the usual disclaimers apply (it's VSF, it's your game, who's to say it's wrong), but IMHO, the reason for doing home service is to send them out in their parade best!

-Tommy
-Tommy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:31 PM »
Given that those Thunderchickens I posted a link to already have saddles, I would just need riders to create a squadron of Her Imperial Majesty's First Venusian Mounted Scout Brigade, and Redoubt seem to be the only place I could get riders of the right period wthout ending up with a bunch of spare horses.

The Thunderchickens look quite large as they are shown with GW riders on the site, so I'm guessing Redoubt would be in scale, but there are no pictures of most of the models I'm interested in (mainly the natal colonial police, boers and such).

Sooooooooo have I been sculpted and turned into some sort of mule?

lol lol

Yes, you have been immortalised in lead, you even have a nice saddle so you can be ridden hard ;)
Scroll down the page to see the photo...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8146.30

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
To reply to the original size question, these pictures have Foundry and Redoubt figures mixed on the same bases, can you see which is which?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:25:45 PM by matakishi »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
I think I can tell, but the differences certainly wouldn't bother me. Thanks for that Matakishi.

Well, my Venus campaigns started on the GASLIGHT list about 8-9 years ago, I even played some games based there back then. However it stalled for several years, although the setting has remained rich in my mind. It's back though baby!

Do you really not know it? (I'm willing to place money that were I to describe it, it'd be a very well known setting)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:16:40 PM by Dewbakuk »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »
I think I can tell, but the differences certainly wouldn't bother me. Thanks for that Matakishi.

Well, my Venus campaigns started on the GASLIGHT list about 8-9 years ago, I even played some games based there back then. However it stalled for several years, although the setting has remained rich in my mind. It's back though baby!

Do you really not know it? (I'm willing to place money that were I to describe it, it'd be a very well known setting)

Oh go on do describe it?

Perhaps we should start some some of campaign here, given that we seem to be arranging to meet up every now and again. It might be quite good fun. What do you think?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »
Sorry for the delay on this, had the inlaws visiting.

Okay, the overall setting....

When British explorers first visited Venus, they were struck by its primal beauty. In stark contrast to the desert expanse of Mars’ surface, Venus was covered by an endless rain forest, or so it first appeared. Had that first impression been true then humanities ventures upon its surface would have been short and limited in the extreme, for the jungle floor and swamps of the surface are no place for the frail human body. The air is thick with moisture. The lack of any real breeze means there is no release from the stifling temperature. Sunlight rarely penetrates the canopy directly. There are insects and similar creatures of enormous size just waiting to devour an unwary adventurer. Large creatures closely resembling the dinosaurs of Earth’s past crash or stalk through the trees, crushing or devouring all in their path. Worst of all are the savage Lizardmen that call the jungles their home...

Fortunately, it wasn’t long before explorers discovered a large mesa rising far above the jungle canopy. The climate atop the mesa was far more hospitable, the humidity was lower, it was cooler, there was wind and sunlight and there were far fewer creatures trying to eat them. Even the basic act of breathing was easier. The mesa was large enough to house a small town but far better was the view from the edge. In the distance were many more mesas, some of which were many times the size of the one upon which they stood. Venus was open for colonisation!

A suitable site was found for settlement and during the initial stages of construction a Royal Navy Aeronef was dispatched to survey the nearby mesas. During its survey, the ‘nef crew spotted another aerial craft in the distance. As no other nation had yet claimed to reach Venus, it could only be an indigenous craft. The ‘nef followed the course of the alien craft and discovered a native village atop a large mesa. The village looked nothing like those of the Lizardmen and no-one could entertain the idea of such brutal creatures creating an airship. The ‘nef’s captain ordered the ship to stand off and viewed the village through his telescope. The airship was clearly a trading vessel as cargo was being lain out and displayed to the villagers. The villagers themselves were most certainly not lizardmen, in fact they appeared to be some kind of bird. Realising that contact with a trading species might be better not being initiated by a warship, the captain marked the location and reported back to the fledgling settlement. Contact with the new race was made a priority and a group set off the next day, thus was made initial contact with the Parrotmen of Venus.

I'll sort out some figures for photo's and do some specifics if you want. The Parrotmen of Venus have become something of a phenomenon since their initial conception, which is cool.

A Venus campaign sounds great. We have a bunch of Jungle terrain between us all too. Want me to write up the campaign I had intended?