Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686498
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue star ,osprey sci fi skirmish rules  (Read 73150 times)

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
Re: Rogue star ,osprey sci fi skirmish rules
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
I am really looking forward to this! I really love both contributions of Andrea Sfiligoi to OWG series! I'm planning to use my Infinity Nomads in this and some HF minis to add to the gang feeling.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:40 PM »
It has "Andrea Sfiligoi" on the cover. Has he made anything other than SoBH variants?

Most of the variants are actually very clever, like the napoleonic, kung fu or modern combat ones, but even if I love SBH I don't understand why should I play the same game again and again in different settings. I'm not looking forward to this one, but any miniatures in the style of the artwork will be welcome.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:37 AM »
If it's a Song of Blades and Heroes variant that works for sci-fi better than the other variants I've tried...then I'm in, but I'll wait until I get independent confirmation.  I love SoBH, but it just didn't work with my sci-fi guys.

That said, my guess is that Andrea has a few new tricks up his sleeves for this one.  My idle speculation is that it will expand upon the mechanics used in Black Ops. (I have no basis for that other than trying to tease more information out of Osprey by spreading wild rumors for them to discredit.)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:16 AM »
I think the market for Cyberpunk miniatures has moved on from soft blobby sculpts like the Northstar Frostgrave models. The Corvus Infinity and upcoming Nakamura Tower (HINT) figures have set a new standard for the genre.
As for rules, not sure, I think the SoBH series lacks any period/genre feel. You just seem to play the same mechanics with different models, would be a real wasted opportunity if these turn out to be another SoBH clone with a different cover..

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:59 AM »
I think the market for Cyberpunk miniatures has moved on from soft blobby sculpts like the Northstar Frostgrave models. The Corvus Infinity and upcoming Nakamura Tower (HINT) figures have set a new standard for the genre.

Personally, I feel the Human Interface Nakamura Tower figures have a 3D-sculpted "soullessness" about them. I don't always dislike 3D sculpts, but something about the posing, faces and detailing of most of the Nakamura Tower figures just fails to grab me, even if the character concepts are nice enough. Infinity is better, though.

I'm not sure how the Frostgrave sculpts are "soft and blobby", but I think they do have a "warm and full" style which works well for a comfy fantasy setting but admittedly not for a sci-fi one. However, North Star has some of the best sculptors in the industry (IMO) and I'm confident that when they sculpt for Frostgrave, they're deliberately going for that style and when they sculpt for other projects, they can switch over to other styles.

It's also early days to be saying that Rogue Stars will decidedly be a cyberpunk game. Some elements of the cover artwork have a cyberpunk feel, others don't. The two aliens hardly scream "cyberpunk" to me. My personal overall impression is that the game will aim for a glorious blend of several different genres and aesthetics of sci-fi. I could be wrong, of course. Early days.

I'd be really interested in seeing the North Star sculptors make a bunch of roguish aliens that draw from a lot of sources of inspiration. That would be more interesting to me than having them directly mimic the style of Infinity, Nakamura Tower and other games/ranges in that vein.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 02:55:09 AM »
Yeah, the only figures I bought from Nakamura Tower were the drones. Not a fan of the others at all, which was a shame as the concept work was lovely.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 03:37:04 AM »
From the cover this looks like i'm going to be running guardians fo the galaxy campaigns for the rest of my life.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Longstrider

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 04:51:14 AM »
I really like my Infinity figures, but I'm not sure if we necessarily need more of those. Mercs/Megacon minis are pretty cool too and seem... well, they're not cyberpunk-y (though the FCC houses have a bit of the punk) but they're a nice clean medium-sci-fi look, and I think that could work.

As to SoBH, I was pretty impressed with how OGAM changed up the formula just a bit, and I bought Drums and Shakos when it first came out and thought it worked well for the sort of "hungry stragglers find a farm with some chickens, but a deserter from the other side brought his mates home to the family plot and his mates are trying to woo his sisters, but his dad's not happy about it, and so everyone's kind of mad and frightened and it's a bit of a mess" type gaming that I really get a kick out of. Writing up a scenario allows for various figures to be able to perform this or that special task that requires X successes.

So in that sense I could see it work for shenanigans-heavy gaming in sci-fi, where it's less about organised militaries having command and control, but more about individuals often bumping heads with egos being thrown around while trying to do eight different things.

If it's more straight up gangs having a go at each other, but they have to make sure it doesn't get out of hand because Sheppard will come in to bust heads amongst Blue Suns and Blood Pack, I'd be happy enough with it too.

Really, I like Andrea's stuff, and I've been pretty chuffed with all the OWG books I've bought. I haven't played most of them, but they're nice for the games library, and good idea fodder, both for themes and mechanics. Can't argue with the price either - I can pass up a couple-three lattes here and there.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:13:58 PM by Longstrider »

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
If it's a Song of Blades and Heroes variant that works for sci-fi better than the other variants I've tried...then I'm in, but I'll wait until I get independent confirmation.  I love SoBH, but it just didn't work with my sci-fi guys.

That said, my guess is that Andrea has a few new tricks up his sleeves for this one.  My idle speculation is that it will expand upon the mechanics used in Black Ops. (I have no basis for that other than trying to tease more information out of Osprey by spreading wild rumors for them to discredit.)

DISCREDITED!

Rogue Stars is a new system from Andrea - it has elements in common with SoBH, but with significant changes. For starters, it's a d20 system, target number-based, combat is more detailed (22 melee weapons, 31 ranged weapons, 5 grenades), there are rules for environmental conditions (including high and low gravity)... and more, but it's a long road to October 2016, so I should save some things for later.

Creating a squad is fun. Characters are built individually, with all kinds of traits, skills and equipment, and alien races can be built on the fly by combining traits in different ways. The squad as a whole is then given a theme (Pirates, Bounty Hunters etc.) that determines some of the traits and equipment to which it has access, and a tactical discipline (20 in the rules, from Sharpshooters to Gestalt) that gives it an edge when sticking to familiar tactics.

And, yes, Psionic powers and a Force Sword can be combined in the obvious manner.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 09:01:30 AM »
From the cover this looks like i'm going to be running guardians fo the galaxy campaigns for the rest of my life.

I didn't even think about that. Yeah, now you say it, there's a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to it on top of the other things. That works, as well.

Oh, and how about Cowboy Bebop? Got to have some of that, too!

I'm probably jumping the gun here, but the more I think about it, the more enthused I am over the idea of a game that aims for a melange of numerous different sci-fi sub-genres, united by a common theme of "underworld adventures", without committing exclusively to any one sub-genre at the expense of all the others. Simply, a game about aliens and crime syndicates and robots and lasers and hackers and space cowboys and street gangs and pirates and cyborgs and bounty hunters and cyber-ninjas and underhive mutants and interplanetary scoundrel-playboys and... (you get the drift) :)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
Like the look of Rogue Stars, give something to do with the deluge of random sci fi figures to choose from.

As for the 6mm sci fi ruleset, I like 6mm very much so, but I'm not one for a ruleset where mechs become key. Options to include mechs = cool, I like options, but them being the "core" of a force? Mhmmmmm no.

Offline PF

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »
Creating a squad is fun. Characters are built individually, with all kinds of traits, skills and equipment, and alien races can be built on the fly by combining traits in different ways. The squad as a whole is then given a theme (Pirates, Bounty Hunters etc.) that determines some of the traits and equipment to which it has access, and a tactical discipline (20 in the rules, from Sharpshooters to Gestalt) that gives it an edge when sticking to familiar tactics.

Sounds cool.

Simply, a game about aliens and crime syndicates and robots and lasers and hackers and space cowboys and street gangs and pirates and cyborgs and bounty hunters and cyber-ninjas and underhive mutants and interplanetary scoundrel-playboys and...

That please! And babes...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
Sounds cool. Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
Damn, you kept that quiet! ;)

Really, really, really hope it's a good set of street level cyberpunk rules....
and as an extra wish I hope for good cyberpunk miniastures. Maybay another nickstarter? ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
and as an extra wish I hope for good cyberpunk miniastures. Maybay another nickstarter? ;)

We can hope, but looking at the cover, I don't expect it to be specially cyberpunk. I'm just hoping it will be capable of running that style of game.