Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:58:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 730
Total: 737

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue star ,osprey sci fi skirmish rules  (Read 73503 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Rogue star ,osprey sci fi skirmish rules
« Reply #345 on: December 30, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »
I like it, but I really think it could benefit from standard stats. For example, a crew member could have the following stats:

Shoot
Melee
Tech
First Aid
Sneak
Spot
Move
Leadership
PSI

These would cover the majority of the rolls. They would all start at zero and modified by the traits you have. Does your character have marksman level 2? Well he now has a shoot stat of +2. Doing this would allow the model modifiers to be easily calculated prior to rolls. Then the remaining modifiers wouldn't seem so daunting for most people. This is how I have thought about making my crew cards/sheet.

I proposed the same in another thread. I also think this might speed up play and help to cut down the amount of special rules!

Offline Plus Four

• Librarian
« Reply #346 on: December 30, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »
I'm not sure I'm getting your point!

Every character has the equivalent of standard stats - it's an unmodified 8 to activate or an unmodified 10 to react. I think the problem is that it just doesn't happen automatically. You activate & want to move - roll an 8. You want to shoot - roll an 8. You want to spot someone - roll an 8.

Modifiers are a constantly moving adjustment as stress modifies your chances of failing! So your +2 for being marksman 2 becomes -1 if you spent 3 activations moving into position!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
Agree with Plus Four.

Also, I don't see an advantage to writing:
Shoot: +2
Melee: 0
Tech:0
First Aid: 0
Sneak: 0
Spot: 0
Move: 0
Leadership: 0
Psi: 0
rather than just
Marksman 2

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #348 on: December 30, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »
I like it, but I really think it could benefit from standard stats. For example, a crew member could have the following stats:

Shoot etc.

This is how I have thought about making my crew cards/sheet.

Agree 100%. It's the task of keeping track of all the special case rules that i find off-putting.
I was thinking a character sheet that summarized all the leveled traits and modifier traits would go along way to making this easier to get a handle on.
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2016, 02:04:41 AM »
Agree with Plus Four.

Also, I don't see an advantage to writing:rather than just

The advantage would come from having the character's base line modifiers already calculated for common roles. Say you have Marksman 2. Then in shoot you would put +2. This would tell you right away that you have plus two to the roll before you start to take in situational modifiers such as stress and cover. The same could be done for things like a character with Medic 3 and a first aid kit. Your first aid would have the character's base modifiers to the roll already calculated. I think it would help keep player's from missing a possible modifier during play because they forgot a trait or piece of equipment that they had.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #350 on: December 31, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
Everybody is different but I am better served by a more concise entry for each character rather than an extensive stat line that cannot even cover the (relatively) complicated part. I don't think something like Marksman, or any other roll-modifying trait, is the one I would miss; after all, it's in the model's profile, which I would have written myself. Rather, one of the - as mentioned before - twenty seven circumstantial modifiers that cannot be incorporated into a static profile would be the tricky ones. That's why trying to force a stat line onto this game design isn't going to solve the stated problem. The real issue is the lack of a QRS, which as we know is in the works.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:06:08 AM by Manchu »

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #351 on: December 31, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »
Everybody is different but I am better served by a more concise entry for each character rather than an extensive stat line that cannot even cover the (relatively) complicated part. I don't think something like Marksman, or any other roll-modifying trait, is the one I would miss; after all, it's in the model's profile, which I would have written myself. Rather, one of the - as mentioned before - twenty seven circumstantial modifiers that cannot be incorporated into a static profile would be the tricky ones. That's why trying to force a stat line onto this game design isn't going to solve the stated problem. The real issue is the lack of a QRS, which as we know is in the works.

I am the opposite. The circumstantial modifiers don't bother me because when you break them down several are grouped and only a few that apply on any given roll. For example look at shooting:

To me it is a progressional series of questions.
What is the range to the target? There are 4 possible modifiers, but you will only ever use one. I think the 4" increment for the modifier is off, but that is another topic.
Do I have any pin markers? Add modifier if I have any.
What are my weapon qualities? Is my weapon accurate or primitive? Does it have the hail of fire ability?
Is it a called shot? There are a possible 4 modifiers, but you will only ever use one.
Am I shooting off hand, one handed, or both?
Did I aim or is there visibility issues? If there are visibility issues then they would normally apply for the entire game so IMHO are easy to remember.
Is it a surprise attack or is my target a sitting duck? I know the table says +1 for sitting duck, but the text says +2. I think +2 makes sense. It would be similar to a surprise attack IMHO.
Does my target have cover? If so, is it light, heavy, or fortified?
Is my target prone?
What size is my target?
Does my target have any traits that would impact my roll? This would be easy for opponent if they had a base defense on their character sheet. It could actually also include the size of your target. Example, my model has the big and difficult target traits so his range defense modifier is 0 for all shooting attacks against him.

It uses the same principle that rpgs tend to use. It puts the constant modifiers of the character all together in a stat line so they do not have to be determined during play. Most character sheets will have a weapon stat line that contains the character's attack modifier, they will have their various defenses, and their modifiers for saving throws. For me, a heavy rpg background, having the static modifiers on the sheet is easier. My wargaming background of 40K, Necromunda, Dust Tactics, and Frostgrave has limited use of modifiers.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #352 on: December 31, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
The only problem I see with "Rogue Stars" is the fixed format of Osprey rulebooks: small, compressed, without gaming adds. The rules about the creation of characters are wonderful, because you can pick any figure you have and create a complete character, something I prefer over fixed character stats.

Reading "Rogue Stars" I remember my games with "Inquisitor" in which narrative, imagination and fair play were the most important things.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #353 on: January 02, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
Well, I've got my order in through Barnes & Noble (Got some gift cards for Christmas)...now awaiting delivery.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »

What am I missing here? I've gone through the book a few times now and I can't find a place for the Elite rule.
None of the themes allow it at start or I'm missing it and with experience you can go from normal to Veteran and from Veteran to Hero, entirely passing Elite level which seems like it should've been somewhere in there.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
That clears it up, thanks.  :)

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »

'course not getting the book from me means you miss out on 'The Rogue'. Comes free with each copy, and there's a 10% discount first week.

Will this figure be released in the US, I see its available at the Wargames event/ ROBIN UK show?

Are there plans for additional figures?

Any comment on the reported  inconsistent quality on some of the figures?
I ask because I just ordered a bunch and will be review them with scale comps for my games..

Thanks in advance
Check out my adventures in lead and plastic http://plasticlegions.blogspot.com

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #358 on: February 13, 2017, 01:26:20 AM »
There is a thread elsewhere about problems with the casting, but all mine were fine...I also bought some of the new figures (not in the kickstarter) today at ROBIN and they were fine too. I am pretty sure I saw The Rogue figure for sale in a blister pack alongside all the others.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
No, there are no vehicle rules.

:o :o :o :o :o

But at least they are now taking PayPal!  ;)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:10:47 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)