Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hordes of the Droids  (Read 1601 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Hordes of the Droids
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
I have a confession to make. I have been wanting to try Hordes of the things for a long time now. Sure the rules are sometimes written in convoluted ways but there is something there that fascinates me. Now a large chunk of my spare time goes towards 3d drawing and printing, both for fellow goldsmiths and some forum members. And like in any form of drawing, you sometimes end up doodling in the margins of something else.
I had already considered microword 6mm fantasy, which looks lovely, but ended up drawing up these yesterday.

In order Warband, Blade, Spear and Knight.

Warbands are about momentum, Blades are tough elite infantry, spears are good in formations and knights are heavy hitting cavalry or chariots, I'm hoping these tiny (6mm!) guys give a suggestion of that.

I have a group of the middle two printed up already, and they looks fantastic, however the light here is terrible so actual pictures will have to wait. I wanted to do something simple that I can paint up in bright primary colours, these will be blue with white I think. and metallic for details. The other faction will be all boxy and red with yellow probably. They are intended to be "cute" simple to paint and fun. I'm still considering the rest of the army, I'm thinking electronic warfare and EM shielding for the wizard and cleric, beyond that I'm still very much sketching, however I think airships are a must.

In imagine these using megaman like blaster arms, which you can see on the models. Short range weapons pretty much "mellee" then. Shooters will have some sort of longer range cannon. Behemoths and beasts can take all sorts of less humanoid shapes, starwars droids should be a good inspiration. 

There are 22 unit types in HotT, I have covered the first 4 with these designs, with a few others probably being easy derivatives. (hordes should be striped down, base version of these for instance, shooters should be a simple thing) that leaves me 17 to do. I do think that a number of specific units I will only do for one of the two factions for now, god or dragon, magician or cleric etc. so this is a good start and I might actually have playable armies before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:25:46 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Dim_Reaper

Re: Hordes of the Droids
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 03:17:06 PM »
You don't need all the unit types, but the few groups I know who play this typically make use of Hordes, Shooters and Behemoths (in addition to the 4 you've made), so I would consider what you'd do for that (and as you say, you can mildly modify some of your existing designs). You'll find the game can easily be bogged down if you don't have a few heavy hitters in there.

Your designs very much make me think of the old Megadrive/Genesis Vectorman games. Potentially worth a look for inspiration.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »
I like! Are they 6mm-ish, then?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
I like! Are they 6mm-ish, then?

Yes, blades are 5mm since they are a bit rotund and spears are 7mm since they are thin and tall but 6mm was very much my target point.

Thanks for the points Reaper, I think I can't resist modelling all types anyway, I already have printed blades, spears, warbands, knights fliers and a airship by now. I really should slap some paint on and get some pictures.