Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help findings a pin vice and drill bit for this  (Read 1493 times)

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
Help findings a pin vice and drill bit for this
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
Hello,

I was interested in trying to find a pin vise and the correct drill bit for the project listed in this link:

http://blog.ryan.skow.org/2015/05/zombicide-storage.html?m=1

The important bits are:
The third components are tiny magnets 1/8"x1/16" (3mm x 1.5mm) to put in each figure's base.  I already had a Dremel, but needed a 1/8 in. Shank High Speed Multipurpose Cutting Bit.  It is special compared to a regular 1/8" bit due to not having a large taper on the front which would have cut through the base before making the hole deep enough.   

I dont know much about pin vise and have had problems finding the correct bit. Would I be able to get a 1/8 pin vise bit ?

Any recs of where to buy?

Thanks for any help

Offline Klingsor

• Bookworm
Re: Help findings a pin vice and drill bit for this
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
Oh yes, they come in a whole range of sizes. You might be better off asking in a hardware shop, ideally a proper, old fashioned one. You can get better quality ones there, probably for less money than, for example, GW. The best I have is by Eclipse but they are costly. You can never have too many of the things.

Axminster do a useful set of drill bits going down to stupidity small, 0.4mm or some such.

I ended up buying a digital calipers to size drill bits, well that was excuse, really I just wanted one, and a set of plastic test tubes and holder to sort them into though that might be a bit over top it works well.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 07:21:57 AM »
Not the answer you are looking for but.....

Would it be possible to mount the magnet on top of the metal disc and incorporate it into the base groundwork?

I'm sure the magnet (although it might loose some strength) will still work.

Tony

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 07:53:42 AM »
I put magnets in all my minis I just use my screw gun and a regular 1/8 bit even did my heroquest bases which are pretty thin just go slow and it works great ive based around 400 500 figs with this method I store them in an old stereo cabinet that I had out in the shed. I added five mdf shelves that I riveted sheet steel on [I am a roofer by trade so I usually have plenty of scraps on hand] it cost me zero dollars to make as I had the raw materials laying around and the cabinet itself was left by a previous owner of my house. 

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:28 PM »
Pk-Pro has several models. Ordered stuff from them in the past. Reliable site AFAIK.

http://www.pk-pro.de/Drilling-and-Borer
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
Can't remember what bits are included, but I've recently gotten a new one from Michaels for $3.99...listed as a hobby drill in the dollhouse area.