Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gunbirds 20mm Sci/Fi scratchbuilding party  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Gunbirds 20mm Sci/Fi scratchbuilding party
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »
So I plan to build a 20mm sci/fi Tatooine/ish village, right? Don't I need 20mm troops and vehicles too? Damn right. Not too much available, how are you going to do that? Scratchbuilding of course!

I'll be working (well, have been for a while now) on a Chinese PDF with low to medium quality equipment. I've been looking around for suitable stuff, been writing various bits of fluff on my Blog. I've been in the process of gathering bits for a Assault/Anti Tank vehicle and wanted to base more vehicles off the same hull (as the current Chinese do so well) so at Crisis this weekend I took a good long hard stare at the 15mm sci-fi stuff on offer. I'd seen on the Brigade Models website that they did a very nice set or Mercenaries, one of them a MLRS vehicle. I asked him if those could be sold seperately and he said yes, we do, so I bought 2 sets of MLRS.

My main vehicle hull for the sci-fi Chinese is the Jagdpanzer Kanone hull. It has been out of the field for ages so most people won't even recognise it, and is available from SandS for a very decent price. Since I am still waiting for some bits from Old Crow I've decided to convert my first 2 hulls to a MLRS system. A quick mock up shows what I am aiming at.

Lots of work to be done, washing, filling of holes, rebuilding of periscopes and adding bits, but this is the general idea. Now to write fluff for it.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Gunbirds 20mm Sci/Fi scratchbuilding party
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
Looking like a very successful kitbash so far! Stylish tanks, those. Keep blazing those 20mm sci-fi trails and maybe others will follow.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
Spotted this one on FB before, looks very nice. Very curious what that green raiser bit is on the back one.

Also, old crow still do business? Their website appears hacked.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
The green bit is actually a my own made speaker I cast in greenstuff. For the real thing I will use aluminum tubing to raise the launcher.

Yes, Old Crow is still in business but be prepared to wait for a long time. Since June I've had contact twice, once to ask him about some bits, and a reply to that came in October with apolagies cause he is really busy, and my order for more scratchbuilding bits to which a reply came in the ay after and another reply is due anytime now with the total costs. It is a bit of a wait but totally worth the quality in my book.

Yup, definately hacked that website.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
My Old Crow order arrived. Crisp as always, white cream resin instead of the usual grey one.

Another 2 turret bases plus more turrets. 28mm scaled turrets make great 20mm defensive line turrets as well. Als some parts for 20mm conversions. Sadly the order was incomplete but Jez is already updated so I'm sure that will get sorted in no time.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »
Since I have not done anything for a fair bit, and I'm currently boxing up the entire contents of my hobby room in preparation for moving rooms, and found parts of it, I've looked at the logic behind my logic for this project (i'm such a Vulcan sometimes  lol ).

I started with the logic that since I am already building 20mm scenery, I might as well find additional uses for it. Hence, next to Afghanistan, I want to try out Sci-Fi. It would be stupid to build identical sets of terrain for various scales. But actually, it isn't. I can build the 20mm Desert buildings at the rate of 1 each free evening. So far I have over 15 buildings that need to be painted but I've been playing with using sponges to speed up painting and sofar the results have been good. Also, I like building scenery (call me odd, but I do). Storage wise that is only 2 A4 Paper boxes. I have no problem storing these. So for a well filled village of about 20 buildings I would not need more then 2 A4 boxes.

I already toyed with 15mm before, but gave up because no one else played it locally. This is also a BS reason. I've noticed that if I supply the good looking scenery and the space, people don't mind driving a bit more for a game. Also, 15mm is much easier to purchase so the treshhold is much, much lower for starters.

Only the rules are bothering me a bit.

Anyway, 20mm sci-fi is now cancelled, I'm going back to 15mm but don't expect anything too soon.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »

I hear you there...

Anyway, 20mm sci-fi is now cancelled, I'm going back to 15mm but don't expect anything too soon.
Kinda sad to hear it, but I understand totally. Those MLRS units were looking very promising!

Good luck with the move into the new room. Here's to a swift reorganisation!

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »

heh, I think a lot of us on here have that feeling, we really should do something about it some time.  o_o

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:23:18 PM »
Well these tanks can still be re-used for 15mm as heavy hitters (e.g. Sturmtigers).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 11:26:07 PM »
Well these tanks can still be re-used for 15mm as heavy hitters (e.g. Sturmtigers).

Yup, they won't be lost for the cause. I'll reuse them somehow.

Now someone delete my access to the Brigade Models website as I'm racking up a order I should not be making right now!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 11:47:37 PM »
That's the spirit!

I'm off to Mirliton to do bad, bad things.

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 06:52:22 AM »
Nice!

Consider me subscribed.  I am making the move to 15mm myself and am looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work  :-*
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander