Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newb question: Monsters as frostgrave warband?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline whitphoto

• Bookworm
Newb question: Monsters as frostgrave warband?
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:19:38 AM »
OK, I missed the club's game night where they were trying out Frostgrave but heard good things and am ordering the book. Most of my fantasy miniatures are centered around the D&D game I'm running for my kids so I have a bunch of monsters, but not too many humans. Are the types of henchmen (or whatever) generic enough that I could use various monster minis as proxies or as actual models to fill out a warband? I have beastmen, wargs, orcs, skeletons, gnolls etc... can I just say that my wizard hires monsters?

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: Newb question: Monsters as frostgrave warband?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:59:49 AM »
You can use any models you choose, although it may be a bit awkward if you use larger, say, ogre sized monsters.  While the various soldier types have different stats, their "what you see is what you get" aspect is based upon their equipment.

For example:

Dagger = Thief
Hand Weapon = Thug
Greatweapon/Heavy Armor = Templar
Hand Weapon/Shield/Heavy Armor = Knight
Hand Weapon/Bow = Ranger
Etc.

Therefore, a goblin with a club and no armor would be the equivalent of a Thug, while an Orc with heavy armor and a greataxe would be a Templar.  You could possibly say that goblins are Thieves since they are weaker melee combatants, and so on, but it may make things more difficult for your opponent.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:33:20 AM »
In our club's campaign, out of the 11 players we have two goblin warbands and one lizardman. So long as you're clear about which models are what henchman types, you'll be fine.

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 06:47:29 AM »
Frostgrave is open enough to let you use just about any miniature you want for any character you want. It's basically the stats on paper that give the game balance between players. There's no reason you can't use say an ogre for a barbarian, or an orc for a Templar or whatever you like. On paper the human barbarian will have identical stats to the ogre, but on the table you're going to have more visual variety.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »
My warband is a mix of humans and non-humans (and just got my hands on a Dark Elf crossbow woman from the Dice Bag Lady).
We have a goblin, high elf and oriental monster warbands.

I even use a very old GW Imperial Army trooper to represent my Marksman with magic crossbow.

As long as it's clear for you opponent what model represents what type of soldier (so no using the same model for a thug and a paladin for example) then no-one should complain.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »
I have mixed races in my warband as well. An Elf Wizard, a Halfelf aprentice, two Halfling tresure hunters, a Human Treasurhuner, 2 human Archers, a "dog man" Barbarian, and Humanoid rabit as a ranger.  Just let people know if there are any ambigous cases.  My halflings have only one drawn weapon each so let people know they are Tresure hunters.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02:06 PM »
Yep, got a halfling thief, an elf tracker in the painting queue and a hell-hyena ready for basing :D

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:46:23 PM »
I'm using smaller Ice Spiders as hounds.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »
I'm putting together a Dwarf warband currently; in my experience, as long as the weapons/equipment lines up with the profile, then there shouldn't be any issue.

What I'm really hoping for is some dedicated rules for warbands made of large creatures in a future expansion. A small warband of Ogres, Wolfen, or other large creatures would be awesome. If not the capactiy to take a full warband, even having them as possible henchmen/mercenaries would be awesome.