Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690840
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skeleton bowmen  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
Skeleton bowmen
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
Silly question but.... I know it would make them very dangerous yet I would like to have the random monster show up with a bow. There is no mention in the rules but do you, the cumulative group, think a random skeleton with a bow would be over the top? Add a bit of distant danger. Just asking. I will add 1 or 2 just for shock. Thanks.
I should be painting right now.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
Re: Skeleton bowmen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
Nah, it would be fun.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Would definitely add an extra surprise element to the game, helping to keep things interesting. Thanks for the idea. May have to house rule that if it doesn't appear in the upcoming supplements

Offline Urquhart

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »
I think there isn't a problem to the adventurers face a bow in the hands of a skeleton. Their Shoot stat is zero (+0) and all soldiers have at least +1 in his Fight Stat.

The only dificult is how to manage the performance of the esqueletal archer. In the rules there is no mention of shooting creatures, so you have to apply some house rules. In other thread (link) this issue was treated:
Quote from: sulecrist
ACTIVATION: RANGED-DOMINANT CREATURE
1) Is the creature in combat? FIGHT.
If the creature is currently in combat with a member of either player's warband, it will use its first action to fight. If it wins the combat, it will step back 1" directly away from its opponent. If it loses the combat and is pushed back, or if its opponent steps back, it will use its second action to WITHDRAW (see below).
2) Does the creature's weapon need to be reloaded? RELOAD.
3) Is there an enemy in line of sight? SHOOT.
If a creature with a shooting attack is not in combat, it will shoot at an enemy that is in line of sight. If there are multiple enemies in line of sight, then run through the creature's Target Priorities, in order. After resolving the attack, run through these steps again to determine its next action.
4) Is there an enemy in 10" and in line of sight? WITHDRAW.
If a creature with a shooting attack is not in combat, it will move away from any enemies that are within 10" and in line of sight, withdrawing, without coming within 1" of an enemy, to a position that is as far away as possible from enemies. After resolving the movement, run through these steps again to determine its next action.
5) Are none of these situations applicable? PATROL.
If a creature with a shooting attack is not in combat and there are no enemies within 10" and/or in line of sight, the creature will make one move in a random direction. If the creature hits any obstacle that must be climbed or jumped, it will stop. If the creature is still not within 10" and/or in line of sight of an enemy, it is done for the turn and takes no additional action. If an enemy presents itself, it will Shoot if possible or Withdraw if not (see above).
“Youth is not made for pleasure but for heroism” - Paul Claudel
New Missions and ideas for Frostgrave topic
Felstad's incursions topic

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »
There are no rules for them in the new book...however, there will be rules for them in a short article coming out soon in Wargames Illustrated.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
The Hunt For The Golem mini-campaign includes rules for a creature armed with a ranged weapon. 

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »
Thanks all for the replys. I'm going to use them until I see the supplement Joe mentioned.then I'll refine the way I use them.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:24:57 AM »
This is another reason why the group I played with (my only game of Frostgrave) agreed that a deck of monster cards would be splendid..particularly if you felt like making up a heap of new monsters.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Le Korrigan

• Bookworm
    • La tanière du Korrigan
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »
There are no rules for them in the new book...however, there will be rules for them in a short article coming out soon in Wargames Illustrated.

Cool :cheers:

Offline Urquhart

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
Now I realize that there is a creature that shoots in the rules. The Genie!
Quote from: The Rules
The genie follows the standard rules for creatures with the following exceptions:
If the genie spends its first action moving towards a figure, but does not end up in contact, it will use its second action to shoot a fire arrow at the closest target (a member of either warband). This counts as a standard shooting attack using the genie’s Shoot stat, and has a maximum range of 10”.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
Nah, it would be fun.
This.

Can you give us a heads up when the issue is due, as I don't read (or even get a chance to see it!) that often.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:39:57 PM by Darkson71 »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »
Now I realize that there is a creature that shoots in the rules. The Genie!
That would be a really poor strategy for genuine missile troops, though, as they would find themselves in melee too often.

Offline sulecrist

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »
That would be a really poor strategy for genuine missile troops, though, as they would find themselves in melee too often.

Yeah, we found that out while playtesting my creature behavior rules (which Urquhart very graciously linked and quoted above). Hence the distinction between Ranged-Dominant (wants to be shooting and not getting in combat) and Melee-Dominant (throws a javelin or whatever on the way in, but mostly wants to beat the crap out of someone with a mace).

Skeleton Archer is classic Ranged-Dominant, where a Boomer-style vomiting zombie hulk would be a good thematic example of Melee-Dominant.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:44:06 PM by sulecrist »

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »
Honestly, I think something like the Genie rules would be fine for skeletal archers.

If it can see something: shoot at it, then move closer.
If it can't see something: move randomly.

Skeletons have no sense of self preservation and are not mentally agile enough for advanced combat tactics, like kiting.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 11:32:30 PM »
Adam I agree. A simple use. I just have a couple of skeleton bowmen that I wanted to use and like the idea of a random snipe from a bone bowman from across the board if you expose yourself . All good fun.