Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar, one year on.  (Read 7657 times)

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
Re: Age of Sigmar, one year on.
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
Yes very ironic comment he he. I am a giant hobby butterfly/ hypocrite :)

I think I want something then by taking my eye off the ball I want the opposite.

Far too many great games, far to many great models, nowhere near enough time/ opponents.

I will start a thread Major for MF, may be good to pick yours and others brains.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
We have had a blast with AoS.  Like others, I was someone who had fallen away from GW largely.  I still bought Space Hulk when it was re-released (actually I bought three of them) and the odd other model here and there, like the new Harlequins, well the metal ones and the Wracks but not much else. 

Then AoS came out last year and I loved the figures.  I hadn't played fantasy since 6th edition.  So I bought AoS to get the minis mostly and the game was great.  Free form, narrative driven and scenarios that are fantastic.  We've had a blast with it.  I love that the lore is so loose and building.  We have zulus in our games and saxons and all manner of stuff. 

Also, fantastically, there are no points which makes arguing over rules or measurements meaningless because you set up the scenario to be fun and everyone is there to have fun and no one cares if you win or lose as long as cool stuff happens during the game. 

We've done campaigns that were a blast.  We have done a path to glory game.  All kinds of awesome stuff.  I was almost a straight historical gamer for more than a decade.  Now I'm mostly doing fantasy.  All due to AoS.

I've probably bought about $3,000 of GW stuff in the last year, when I had not spent that much in the previous 10 years with them.  It wasn't all AoS.  The Betrayal at Calth set was a huge money sink too.  I got two of them plus a bunch of other stuff to go along with it.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 01:21:57 PM »

Then AoS came out last year and I loved the figures.  I hadn't played fantasy since 6th edition.  So I bought AoS to get the minis mostly and the game was great.  Free form, narrative driven and scenarios that are fantastic.  We've had a blast with it.  I love that the lore is so loose and building.  We have zulus in our games and saxons and all manner of stuff. 

Also, fantastically, there are no points which makes arguing over rules or measurements meaningless because you set up the scenario to be fun and everyone is there to have fun and no one cares if you win or lose as long as cool stuff happens during the game. 

That is a terrific case for the game. The AOS figures aren't my cup of tea, but anything that promotes assymetrical gaming and the game as a storytelling engine (rather than a poor surrogate for sport) has got to be a good thing.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 06:31:20 AM »
That is what I thought. 

We play most of our games that way, we haven't used points in a game around here in ages. 

Infinity is great for that too as when you come up with the scenario you can just pick what models you want that would make sense doing whatever it is.