Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How important is the ""Frost" part of the game?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
How important is the ""Frost" part of the game?
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
A very simple (perhaps stupid?) question but, before I commit to this game, how important is the frozen, frosty part of it? Is it merely the fluff or does it influence game-play? I want a game that will make use of all my Old Skool fantasy figures but I don't want to have to start a whole new lot of scenery and bases with snow on....!

Doug

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: How important is the ""Frost" part of the game?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
Just sprinkle some white birdcage sand before play and vacuum after the game. Simple.

In the newer scenarios (some of them) it does influence game play.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
The initial games took place in the desert, in dungeons, etc. - they apparently worked very well and used some of the creature stats whereby Frost Trolls became Desert Trolls, etc.

And if a supplement mentions snow and ice, substitute sand and rocks!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
The frost is definitely optional!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »
Starting from scratch I've used grey 'stone' flock and a sprinkling of 'snow' on my bases, but if I had a collection to draw on, I probably wouldn't bother rebasing them.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
Mordheim has long been one of my favorite GW games and settings, so I plan relocate the ruined city of Felstad to the Old World and rename it Mordheim.  This lets me take advantage of the minis and terrain that I have collected and painted over the years for Mordheim and other games.  

The snow and ice play no role in the core rules or in the 10 scenarios in the rulebook.  If Frosrgrave's weather does play a role in the scenarios in the expansion, Thaw of the Lich Lord, then I will simply translate those effects into something more suitable for Mordheim. For example, on occasion Mordheim is hit by chaos storms that produce a wide variety of strange and sometimes lethal effects. Additionally, concentrations of wyrdstone can also produce any number of magical phenomena.

'It's raining three legged pomeranians! How is that possible?'

'I don't understand. This block is being wracked by hurricane winds yet the air two blocks over is perfectly still''

'Ewe, these streets are covered in a layer of slimy eyeballs at least 6 inches deep. Wait! Did that one just move?'  

'Where did this crazy purple mist come from? It smells like broccoli and it's so thick I can barely see my hand in front of my face.'

Ultimately Doug, you are only limited by your imagination.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
Thanks all - it seems to be, as I suspected, no big deal....

Ultimately Doug, you are only limited by your imagination.

Oh heck - that could be a very good thing or very dubious.... :D

Basically, it's like I say to people who buy our games (or even those from You Know Who), once you've bought it, you can do what you like. Just enjoy it.

Doug

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
'It's raining three legged pomeranians! How is that possible?'

'I don't understand. This block is being wracked by hurricane winds yet the air two blocks over is perfectly still''

'Ewe, these streets are covered in a layer of slimy eyeballs at least 6 inches deep. Wait! Did that one just move?'  

'Where did this crazy purple mist come from? It smells like broccoli and it's so thick I can barely see my hand in front of my face.'

I'm staying the hell away from your Mordheim! ;)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
I'm staying the hell away from your Mordheim! ;)

It's too late!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:33 PM »
It's too late!

Nooo! I must find a way back to my own world!

...Hey, why are those skeletons nailed to that wall over there singing barbershop quartet renditions of Daft Punk's greatest hits?

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
As I have started building a jungle quite long time before Frostgrave, I play much of my games in Junglegravve.

And... about Mordheim... the mist is really strange. It tastes D-moll and sounds violet.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
I have been wondering about this, it's one of the things that has put me off getting into it
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
I have gone 'All in' with the frosty look.
But have also played games on dessert boards, in dungeons and on a Mordheim set up ...

It does not make the sliightest bit of difference to the game.... just the look of the game.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »
I have been wondering about this, it's one of the things that has put me off getting into it

While I won't be getting into Frostgrave (played a game, didn't care for it much) I wouldn't get hung up on that.  There is borderline nothing in the game which requires snow.  Short of wording, nothing is something that can't be replicated by swamps, dunes etc.

Personally I'm pretty shocked to see so many people going nuts with the snow, particularly on the miniatures (fantasy miniatures are wonderful in that you can use them for dozens if not hundreds of different games...the snow effect is way too limiting).  Like with many of Osprey's games you can play it with whatever you have on hand.  I do think that the spell deck will be a nice addition (unfortunately requiring a deck per player though).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
Still, I plan to make a snow mat because some things one has to do.

So, white felt, throw some mud at it, spray seal?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.