Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How important is the ""Frost" part of the game?  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
Re: How important is the ""Frost" part of the game?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
The snow is completely aesthetic and doesn't do, or take away from, anything about the game.

None of my terrain has snow on it, but I have started snowing up the bases of miniatures and treasure tokens, just to make them stand out more.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »
My terrain looks more frosty and less snowy.  Whitish hi-lights etc... We did have a frozen pond.  It was rough terrain but if you stopped on it we rolled a d6.  1-2 no effect, 3-4 skid 1 inch in the same direction, 5-6 skid 2 inches!:)
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »
But have also played games on dessert boards
Replace the snow with custard? lol

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
Due to storage restrictions (and laziness on my part!) we're just using our old Mordheim scenery along with the non-sci-fi looking 40k stuff.
Most (all?) of our warbands probably won't have snow either, as they'll pull double duty as part of Mordheim warbands and other games.

If a scenario needs snow etc for terrain special rules we'll just substitute with something to hand (swamp, sand dunes etc.).

So if the snow is the only thing putting you off trying this game, don't let it, as it's not essential to game play.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 07:54:30 AM »
I don't put any snow on my bases

As the setting takes place in a ruined city, I base my minis with sand, little bits of plaster, all paint in grey, and tufts of brown grass

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
I'm not helping to answer the OP's question (which has been well answered already), and I completely understand why some people aren't interested in the actual Frostgrave setting, but just for the sake of conversation, I for one am really into the specificity of the setting. That may sound a bit odd considering there's actually very little proper background information about it beyond "frosty, ruined, magical city", but still, there are some things that quite clearly define the look of it.

It's not just the cold climate, but also the fact that it's mainly a city of "high civilisation"-style stone masonry (in contrast to, for instance, Mordheim which is a more rustic, sullen city of mainly half-timbered houses). I'm experimenting with making buildings/ruins for Frostgrave right now, and I'm aiming for a look that's equal parts Minas Tirith/Osgiliath and Hogwarts, which seems to be the look and feel that the artwork, photos and sparse fluff in the book is communicating. Although, I may break slightly with the pre-packaged setting by also injecting a bit of Constantinople/Istanbul as well as a bit of Kiev, St Petersburg, Moscow, Novgorod, etc.

Still not sure whether to go for actual snowy terrain though, or just assume that there's been a thaw.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Great question...

I am still debating on whether or not I should slap snow over my city build...I'll make the decision once it is all complete.

I have however decided that the city is partially intact as opposed to just a pile of rubble - this way I can get the scale and height I am looking for.

At present I am about half way through the main construction....there is a thread already showing all this

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »
Giles - you always raise the conversation to a new level - in this case both metaphorically and literally. Fabulous work as always. Having a game (any game) in the Shed de Eric is on my life-ambition bucket list  :D

Doug

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
It's the icing on the Christmas cake. If you don't have the icing you're still eating a cake at Christmas.

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
It's the icing on the Christmas cake. If you don't have the icing you're still eating a cake at Christmas.

lol This works on two levels....!

Doug

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
Giles - you always raise the conversation to a new level - in this case both metaphorically and literally. Fabulous work as always. Having a game (any game) in the Shed de Eric is on my life-ambition bucket list  :D

Doug

If you are ever in Surbiton on a Monday night the door is open

Cheers

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
If you are ever in Surbiton on a Monday night the door is open

Who coud have guessed that Surbiton would sound so enticing...?

Doug

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
I play Frostgrave using my Mordheim/Song of Blades fantasy terrain collection, which is not particularly snowy, and everything works out just fine. The "Frost" is just frosting on the cake.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 08:17:15 PM »
Who coud have guessed that Surbiton would sound so enticing...?

Doug

Surbiton is always enticing......nudge nudge wink wink

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 02:53:06 AM »
Seeing how there is a thaw going on you may need to have some muddy slushey bits of terrain. The outskirts may be snow free where the deeper into the city ruins proper you go there will be more remaining snow banks and what nots. I do not imagine the city as a total ruin, it's not like a raging glacier came blasting through downtown Felsted but rather a long heavy and deep snowfall / blizzard . Sure the weight of the snow will have crushed a lot of the real estate though most of the stone work structures will remain. So no the frost part, IMHO, is not important to modeling but it is to the feel. For me.
I should be painting right now.