Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Salute ticket price...  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Salute ticket price...
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
Just out of interest, I was just on the Salute site, and noticed that online advance tickets for Salute 2016 will be priced £12, but on-the-door tickets (cash only) will cost £20    :o :o

Blimey.

So they're really going for the advance ticket sales push in earnest then. I think the differential has been a couple of quid up until now, hasn't it? So they're going hard to switch people onto advance tickets.

It's no skin off my nose, since I've always bought an advance ticket anyway.

(In the good old days, these used to be known as 'queue-buster' badges. Obviously no longer, since the queue is always tediously massive, with or without an advance ticket.
Last year, by the way, was the nadir of Salute queueing experiences - after an hour of shuffling forward in an endless inchoate line, with people pushing in all over the place, the stewards suddenly appeared to give up, all disappeared, and it literally turned into a mad crowd surge for the doors which could actually have been dangerous. Let's hope it's better in 2016, although I somehow doubt it. Despite the generally brilliant organisation of the whole event - all for love, and not profit, by hard-working volunteers, I readily accept - safe, fair crowd control seems ever to be beyond the organisers).

Well, I can see a few arguments on the day when people who haven't clocked the price hike, turn up to find it costs £20 to get in.

Hard luck on those few remaining old timers without the internet I suppose... ::)  ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Salute ticket price...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
20quid isn't too bad. I remember going to a B5 convention about 18-19 years ago and that was £16 and it was much smaller than Salute.

You pays your money... Etc. etc.

:)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:32:25 PM »
Wowsers...

I really hope it doesn't put too many people off. Salute is great, but it's a trade fair. That's reaching 'professional show' prices, rather than 'show run by a club, that doesn't view it as a business' prices...

£12 sounds about right though.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »
Personally, I struggle with seeing the value in £12 (plus travel, etc) let alone £20!  :D  I know that others really rate it but aside from chatting with mates, which is priceless, I am afraid that the attraction is lost on me. Still, I hope it's a success for those investing a lot of time and money in it.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:04:32 AM »
I seem to remember it being a pound difference. £10 advance and £11 on the day. You'll probably find they've done thst straight (high) jump so they don't need to hold change. Its just a case of handing over your crisp £20 note, no smash in return.

I have to laugh a wee bit at you southerners! ;) Us coming done from sunny Scotland already pay a fair bit in travel and lodgings, an extra couple of quid doesn't make too much difference overall! Just be thankfull its on your doorstep. :)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:29:02 AM »
20quid isn't too bad. I remember going to a B5 convention about 18-19 years ago and that was £16 and it was much smaller than Salute.

You pays your money... Etc. etc.

:)

cheers

James

That wasn't at Shepherd's Bush Empire was it...?
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »
I seem to remember it being a pound difference. £10 advance and £11 on the day. You'll probably find they've done thst straight (high) jump so they don't need to hold change. Its just a case of handing over your crisp £20 note, no smash in return.

I have to laugh a wee bit at you southerners! ;) Us coming done from sunny Scotland already pay a fair bit in travel and lodgings, an extra couple of quid doesn't make too much difference overall! Just be thankfull its on your doorstep. :)

lol You must get a ton out of it Andy because you really do invest a lot of time and money to attend.  And as I've walked the hall when I have attended, I've certainly seen a lot of enthusiastic and happy faces. That the numbers who attend do, says a lot for the show - it just doesn't work for me.  FWIW, I've also only ever paid on the day, my attendance being more spur of the moment casual rather than calendar highlight.  The bigger price differential between pre-purchase and daily tickets won't motivate me to buy ahead but it might just discourage me on the day, and I'm sure the organisers - who have a lot of experience in running the event - have done the analysis to know that casuals like me aren't important to its finances. :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
That wasn't at Shepherd's Bush Empire was it...?

No, it was in or near Birmingham somewhere, MJS was there along with Londo and special guest was Danny John Jules who tried to take the piss but failed. Vader was there to sign autographs.

cheers

James

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
It's not a show I book in advance ( I never know if I'll be available ).shows are a great for networking , I never fail to come away without a commission or two.They also let people know your still alive!
But I can't help but think that £20 on the door,for what is effectively an indoor market no matter how pretty or how much love has been thrown into it ,is not helpful for attracting new blood,or bringing the family.
For that kind of money there'd better be a seriously good set of freebies on the door ,otherwise there will be rivers of blood at the doors( it's a full blister pack of figures difference in price,or lunch which ever way you look at it)gamers like to spend their money on products not on getting in.I personally object to shows that make you pay to get in and then to pay again to look at the bring and buy.Doubts aside I'll still most likely be there!
Mark.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
Last time I paid £20 for a show Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band were performing! :o

I like seeing you lot but not that much  lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
It might be that they are trying to drive folks away...it will get to a point where Health & Safety limit the numbers.

By selling in advance they can cap the entry...who knows maybe they will announce nearer the time there are NO walk in tickets

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »
I travel over from Canada so 20 quid is a drop in the ocean.  Still well worth it to catch up with mates, pick up all my pre-order stuff (usually at a discount), see stuff from manufacturers I've never heard of, and just be there   :D
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'