Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Relicblade: adventure battle game  (Read 20543 times)

Offline MetalKingStudio

• Assistant
[COMMERCIAL] Relicblade: adventure battle game
« on: November 19, 2015, 05:17:04 AM »
Greetings Friends,

I've been passionate about the miniatures hobby for a long time, and like many of you I've always wanted to be part of the creating miniatures games. I started learning to sculpt in ZBrush about a year ago. And I've been working full-time on creating a miniatures game since July.

Relicblade is a small scale fantasy skirmish game where one player takes command of a party of heroes on their righteous quest, while the other player harnesses the brutal fury of the pig men. Brave and wicked alike are drawn to powerful relics lost in the ruins of the ancient world.

The characters are represented on the board by detailed 30mm miniatures while their statistics and abilities are shown on convenient character cards. The real tactical depth comes in as players choose from 25 unique upgrades to specialize their characters to gain a tactical advantage. Will you choose to spec your druid as a support healer, or upgrade her bear form into a DPS monstrosity?

Battles are fought over an unidentified magic item that has drawn the characters to that spot. When characters are finally able to seize the relic it is drawn randomly from the Relic Deck. Relics grant an unnatural boon and are used just like upgrades, however they far surpass any upgrade in power. But if the character wielding the relic is disabled anyone can pick it up.

Standard games of Relicblade are played on a 2'x2' area, players usually only field between three and six characters, and the games only last around 45 minutes. Games are fast paced, dynamic, and exciting. It's not unusual to play several games over the course of a couple drinks. This game is a great way to engage friends in the hobby without asking them to invest hundreds (who are we kidding, thousands) of dollars into an army. The entire game costs less than the digital download of a particular sci-fi games rulebook.

I've separated the print rules and cards from the main set so players choose to purchase them or happily print and play with the pdf. Cards in particular are extremely expensive to manufacture, and are the most expensive component in the game. With the pdf players can also print any number of each upgrade, so it has it's benefits. (If you think about kickstarter campaigns just to fund a card game you may see why I'm not able to include them in the set for free.)

Thanks for taking a look. I'm really excited to share this with you all. I've just gotta share this last story. This past weekend I was showing this game at a comic book convention and on the second day I had multiple fathers and sons come by the table to pick up a set. It was so awesome to see 10 year olds and their dads getting excited to assemble, paint, and play together. It was really any game creators dream come true.

You can check out more stuff at:
www.relicblade.com
www.facebook.com/metalkingstudio
Instagram @sean_sutter_art
Tweeter @MetalKingStudio
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:46:46 AM by MetalKingStudio »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Relicblade: adventure battle game
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
Excellent presentation and I really dig those pig-men actually...not entirely sure I need the game, but I'll probably be tempted to check it out anyway.  You have got a lot of it nailed down, nice attractive minis, good photographs, attractive rulebook and card art...even down to using nice looking dice (who doesn't love Chessex dusty blue w/ copper!).

Nice post, I look forward to seeing more sculpts etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Relicblade: adventure battle game
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:03:20 AM »
Wow, this looks excellent and like a lot more fun like Frostgrave (sorry, just not that big of a Frostgrave fan). The design has a Heroquest charm and I like that a lot.
And am I right in seeing I basically need the rulebook and the cards to start playing? Sounds excellent as I own a zillion suitable models already.
Must remind to place an order next month.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
You're not alone Malebolgia...Frostgrave didn't do much for me the first time I played it and I don't think I'll be going back.  I agree, Hero Quest was my first thought when I saw the cards.  Lovely charm to them from what I can see.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:49:27 AM »
This looks very good. I am tempted to by this just based on the cool old schooly illustrations.

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
This looks great, probably just what I've been looking for. As has been said the cards remind me of heroquest card art and that alone makes me want to buy this. And pigmen are the icing on the cake, as until now I've not really had an excuse to buy any.

Edit: Sadly, with shipping to the UK being nearly as much as the physical cards and rulebook, I won't be making a purchase is unlikely yet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:36:43 AM by Gutbukkit »

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:52:18 AM »
You got my attention. I'll probably buy this in a nearby future.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
Really looks great and interesting, couldn't resist and bought the pdf's  :D
Just skipped through them and the overall look is very nice, can't wait to read and test them  ;D

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
I like how you've gone with a unique race for one of the core characters. Would have been an easier choice to sculpt something like a dwarf as part of the trio. Lovely minis and photos! :)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:59:23 PM »
Woa. This looks really cool. I'd buy the physical copy and some miniatures, but since its shipping from USA (I guess?) VAT + postage would get too expensive.

Will definitely check out the pdf though! I really enjoy the art style, and the general presentation is great.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »
Yep, unless you're a big business with a fancy account with UPS, shipping from the states is an absolute nightmare.  It's why I ended up doing a PDF version of my last game as well.  $26.50 to ship a $24.95 game...and that didn't include any of your VAT/customs charges you guys are so fond of over there on the mainland.

Offline MetalKingStudio

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 01:06:20 AM »
Hi guys!
Thanks for all the kind comments! I'm based in California so shipping is an issue. I lust after Otherworld miniatures almost daily, but I haven't bitten the bullet on shipping overseas, so I understand. The same goes for Arcworlde and Thunderchild's Wasteman. The rules pdf is a great way to check out the game and get a few games in before committing to the figures. The full "Relicblade" experience definitely includes a furrow or rowdy pig men, though. :)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:39:36 AM »
Nice! I have to agree with the others - looking pretty slick, with an interesting take on races.

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
    • Evil Doctor's long-dead lead
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »
Hi, this looks cool! Any chance you could put the cards up on drivethrurpg or wargamesvault for POD printing? That way us UK types could print out the pdf of the rules, but still have those nice cards professionally printed...

Check out my blog - Long-dead Lead!

http://evil-doctor.tumblr.com/

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
Ohh.. that World be awesome!