Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:22:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690779
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Relicblade: adventure battle game  (Read 20554 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Relicblade: adventure battle game
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »
Hi, this looks cool! Any chance you could put the cards up on drivethrurpg or wargamesvault for POD printing? That way us UK types could print out the pdf of the rules, but still have those nice cards professionally printed...

Would certainly recommend this!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline MetalKingStudio

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »
@Evil Doctor and Dr. Zombie, I'm looking into it now. I set up a publisher account and just need to work my way though the system to make sure its the right move. It looks legit, though. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »
The game and miniatures look very good. Professional stuff for sure. A tip from me: Fantasy Flight Games sells card sleeves in various sizes and colors, these are excellent for protecting your home-printed cards and make them easy to handle (and proof against spilled drinks and greasy fingers!).

I hope coop / Dungeon Master-style rules will be considered in the future :)

Edit: In the first post, the link to www.relicblade.com doesn't work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:58:38 PM by Cherno »

Offline MetalKingStudio

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »
@Cherno Good catch on the broken link. I think the system is ripe for coop dungeon delving with some rad loot decks. I definitely hope to expand in that direction at some point!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »
Now that the broken link is fixed, I have to say that your web is truly fantastic ! Love the design, and your article about terrain is inspiring.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 07:28:54 AM »
This looks excellent, and I'm really interested in getting started.  I'm in a bit of a crunch as the holidays approach, but will be keeping an eye on this and hopefully grabbing the full set in the near future!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:25 AM »
Yeah, I went ahead at threw money at the .pdf.
I've gotten a bit of flu today, so I'll have a cozy read through of it while sipping some tea.  :D

Edit: ... Which I have now done (Or quickly skimmed)! Here's some impressions:

First off: The game looks solid! Production values are amazing, and the 'feel' of the rulebook hits the mark (or actually, way above and beyond what I expected.). The aesthetics are somewhere between Heroquest, D&D and those small illustrations from 3rd edition warhammer fantasy, which I very much am a sucker for. There's some great art-skills at display here.

Mechanically, I can't say that much because I obviously haven't played it yet. On my read through, I will say that the rules seem solid. Crunchy enough to make sense a for very small scale skirmish, while still being intuitive and easy to understand. There's multiple decision-points during each characters activation, which should engage the player in a nice way. I've been looking for ruleset to do exactly this kind of Heroic Fantasy/Adventure combat for a while now. Suffice to say: The mechanics seem robust and fun, and the writing is easy to read.
Also a huge bonus for the rules being explicitly written to work with terrain.

The illustrations and pictures are really making me want to produce some cool 2'x2' battlefields to duke it out over!

The focus on the cards does mean that there isn't a generic profile building tool, which is understandable: That's a big undertaking, and not necessarily within the rulesets' design-goals. Force-building is then done with the specific profiles, with the option to add on upgrades: Reminiscent of the way Malifaux does its Crewe building. Within these 'pre'-made profiles, there's a lot of scope for variation, so it really shouldn't be a problem fitting in the miniatures you want to - The archetypes provided in wave 1 should allow for most types: There's a knight, cleric and druid, as well as various 'Pigs' - Pigs being easily substituted for Orcs, for example. And when more cards get released, these possibilities will only expand. I am in particular looking forward to seeing a wizard of some sort. Wizards being one of my two 'bigs', the other being knights which are sufficiently catered for already :)

Another minor quibble is that the .pdf seemed to not load properly on a mac's Image Viewer, so I had to download acrobat reader. That might be due to my software being outdated, and its no big thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

Overall - Very Exciting stuff! I look forward to following this game, and where it goes. And at a mere 4 dollars for the basic rules .pdf, that's a steal. It's great when something comes along that you didn't realise you really wanted. This is very much one of those things.
Not sure when I'll have a chance to actually play it, but I'll pipe in when I do.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:33:55 PM by affun »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I've gotten a bit of flu today, so I'll have a cozy read through of it while sipping some tea.  :D

I volunteer for some play testing.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »
I volunteer for some play testing.

Thats a deal  :D I just have to get through a move, then we can figure something out!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
I've gotten a bit of flu today, so I'll have a cozy read through of it while sipping some tea.  :D

Edit: ... Which I have now done (Or quickly skimmed)! Here's some impressions:

First off: The game looks solid! Production values are amazing, and the 'feel' of the rulebook hits the mark (or actually, way above and beyond what I expected.). The aesthetics are somewhere between Heroquest, D&D and those small illustrations from 3rd edition warhammer fantasy, which I very much am a sucker for. There's some great art-skills at display here.

Mechanically, I can't say that much because I obviously haven't played it. On my read through, I will say that the rules seem solid. Crunchy enough to make sense for very small scale skirmish. There's multiple decision-points, which should engage the player in a nice way. I've been looking for ruleset to do exactly this kind of Heroic Fantasy/Adventure combat for a while now. Suffice to say: The mechanics seem robust and fun, and the writing is easy to read.
Also a huge bonus for the rules being explicitly written to work with terrain.

The illustrations and pictures are really making me want to produce some cool 2'x2' battlefields to duke it out over!

The focus on the cards does mean that there isn't a generic profile building tool, which is understandable: Thats a big undertaking, and not necessarily within the rulesets design-goals. Force-building is then done with the specific profiles, with the option to add on upgrades: Reminiscent of the way Malifaux does its Crewe building. Within there 'pre'-made profiles, there's a lot of scope for variation, so it really shouldn't be a problem fitting in the miniatures you want to - The archetypes provided in wave 1 should allow for most types: There's a knight, cleric and druid, as well as various 'Pigs' - Pigs being easily substituted for Orcs, for example. And when more cards get released, these possibilities will only expand. I am in particular looking forward to seeing a wizard of some sort. Wizards being one of my two 'bigs', the other being knights which are sufficiently catered for already :)

Another minor quibble is that the .pdf seemed to not load properly on a mac's Image Viewer, so I had to download acrobat reader. That might be due to my software being outdated, and its no big thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

Overall - Very Exciting stuff! I look forward to following this game, and where it goes. And at a mere 4 dollars for the basic rules .pdf, that's a steal. It's great when something comes along that you didn't realise you really wanted. This is very much one of those things.
Not sure when I'll have a chance to actually play it, but I'll pipe in when I do.

Cheers!

Can't add that much more to your review, it really sums up my impresion of the rules as well :)

Very well written, easy to understand, with some good rules-examples, really love it so far.
Had a talk to Sean and new cards are planned for the beginning of next year, which should give you some more charakters to play.

Hope to get a game done today, fingers crossed I have the time to  :D

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
Tried the game today with affun. And I loved it! We managed two games in about two hours. I can see a lot of potential in this.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Tried the game today with affun. And I loved it! We managed two games in about two hours. I can see a lot of potential in this.

Cool  :)
How many points did you use, 100?

Am about to play right now as well  :D

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 05:17:12 AM »
We played one game with 50 points to get the hang of the rules and one with 100.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 06:00:14 AM »
We played one game with 50 points to get the hang of the rules and one with 100.

I played my first game yesterday with 100 points as well and really enjoyed it  :)
Great game with a lot potential, will definitively keep playing it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »
Get your stuff painted Comsquare and give us a nice n' proper battle report!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!