Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:29:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Vehicles - Yesteryear repaints  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: Pulp Vehicles - Yesteryear repaints
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
I got one or two question more that just struck me. Why exactly the masking paint for the tires? You are painting them anyway when you weather them. And wouldn't you want the spokes to get primed as well, so you can paint them a bit easier?

I am sorry if these are silly questions...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
Sorry no pictures which would better explain it. The reason for the masking tape is that the tyres are white wall type and the rims on this vehicle were very fine spokes already silver that I didn’t see the need to repaint and I didn’t want to take the tyres off because I thought I may damage them.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 09:05:28 AM »
Nicely done. I was tempted to buy some Yesteryear models from a charity shop recently, there were 5 or 6 in a bag, all knackered, but the shop wanted £5 for them! I'll have to have a look on Ebay.

Was that £5 for all of them, thats good value if they still have all the bits, you will repaint them anyway so for £1 each thats not bad, unless they were really badly damaged?

I picked up one for £1.25 in the box from a charity fayre which I repainted.

A kit will set you bck between £5 - £15 depending on what or where you buy so these toys are quite good for us really.

dodge

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
A couple of pictures of the finished Mercedes. This is the one that started out white and I painted black. Not sure what else to do to it? It looks like a toy again. Any suggestions?

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 05:21:56 PM »
First off... The miniature next to it is a real eye candy! Love it.

I think the gloss is the wrong way to go with these. You are right. It looks like a toned down matchbox. I think I would use the same technique as with the first model and varnish it matt.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
Put some matte on it, and maybe put a little grit on and around the tires. That should help. Great work, that mini as well!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »
Why do anything with it. If you had a nice big shiny Merc in the 1930s I'm sure as hell you would keep it polished until you could see your face in it (or at least employ someone to keep it shiny for you), and there certainly wouldn't be any oil spill or dust on it. It's perfect as it is.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
Why do anything with it. If you had a nice big shiny Merc in the 1930s I'm sure as hell you would keep it polished until you could see your face in it (or at least employ someone to keep it shiny for you), and there certainly wouldn't be any oil spill or dust on it. It's perfect as it is.

Absolutely agree, but if you wanted to do dirty it up a bit, then perhaps a light drybrush of mud around the tyres etc.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »

Absolutely agree, but if you wanted to do dirty it up a bit, then perhaps a light drybrush of mud around the tyres etc.

Yet again, I must agree with Malamute [and of course theoldschool ]. It looks fine to me as it is. The gloss isn't too overpowering and it is just right for use by the local Supervillain  :)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »
Well, I think neither myself nor Bako thought this does not look good. It actually looks great. In my eyes this tho also looks too much like the original matchbox due to the gloss... And that is shame for all the work put into it. That's all.
Dirtying up the tires and maybe even the sides a bit is a good idea, Malamute.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 10:10:22 AM »
Cheers guys
I will try the mud later on and post another picture.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Nicely done. I was tempted to buy some Yesteryear models from a charity shop recently, there were 5 or 6 in a bag, all knackered, but the shop wanted £5 for them! I'll have to have a look on Ebay.

Was that £5 for all of them, thats good value if they still have all the bits, you will repaint them anyway so for £1 each thats not bad, unless they were really badly damaged?

I picked up one for £1.25 in the box from a charity fayre which I repainted.

A kit will set you bck between £5 - £15 depending on what or where you buy so these toys are quite good for us really.

dodge

They seemed to be in really bad condition to me, probably should have taken a closer look now you mention it....
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »
A big part of the problem is the spokes of the wheels are too shiny.  Apply a black wash to make them stand out.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
They seemed to be in really bad condition to me, probably should have taken a closer look now you mention it....

After I posted this I thought I came accross a bit 'arsey' so sorry if it did.

No one wants to pay money for real crap and I wouldn't if they had tyres or wheels missing, but a little chipped paint would be ok in my book for a quid each. Local charity/church fayres are good for cheap good quality models of yesteryear, looked after , in box selling for around £1.25 - £2.

I think thats still good value.
 :D
Dodge

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
I know the title said Yesteryear repaint but this one is not a model of yesteryear.
This was a Kellogg’s van (Lledo days gone). It is now a van for the British museums exploration team. Added some signs to the side, some racks and baggage on the roof and also the back windows which were originally just holes.
Front view. Pictured with Prof. Windsor-Smyth and his daughter Elisabeth

Back

Close up of baggage