Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starmada  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
  • Ride or Die, KANGARAT MURDER SOCIETY!
Starmada
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
Which version of Starmada is best? I prefer maximum detail and customization.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Starmada
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:59:02 PM »
I have the Admiralty and Nova edition and think the Admiralty is much better. More options and not the insanely detailed weapon arcs. Nova is a bit too vanilla for my taste.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
I have Fleet Ops, along with X and Nova. I may break down for Admiralty someday, as I found Nova a bit bland, and, I thought, occasionally vague.

Fleet Ops hasn't lit a fire under me, but it does seem the best for running huge quantities of ships, obviously it's mission, given it's title.

"I prefer maximum detail and customization." does sound like Admiralty. Assuming you like ships-on-hexes, of course.

What do I know, I'm an FT fanboy...

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »
I really should try it sometime shouldn't I. I must say however colonial battlefleet works for me, even if the expansions aren't any good.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:40:02 PM »
I really should try it sometime shouldn't I. I must say however colonial battlefleet works for me, even if the expansions aren't any good.

Well, that brought me up full stop. No, really, heard the scratch across the record as someone dragged the arm off. (Ancient, I know...)

EVERYONE I've heard from says you MUST have the expansions. Total paradigm shift, and I'll probably never spend the money to even look at the rules.  :o

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
I have such a hard time believing that, that I am convinced your mixing up two games. (I double checked that I wasn't) Colonial battlefleet has two expansions, man vs machine which is 100% focused on Battle star galactica, with rules for everything from the original an new series and nothing else. The second one, stars reach is dedicated to a line of miniatures I believe vanished before it ever really got going and adds very little besides a spinal weapons and gunships.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:56:41 PM »
Nope, when I said 'the expansions', I was just being confused by the Wargames Vault presentation. I know there's only the MvM, but the bundle deal in the list makes me think there's another. Really, total mental fog here.

I probably also heard of the 'dead in the womb' expansion that never occurred. You've given me more information than I had before, so thanks for that.

And, everyone says 'you must get MvM.', though, now that I think about it, probably during BSG discussions.  lol

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
There is another one, the stars reach expansion, which has a dead line of minis attached. The new rules in there are functional but the setting its meant for uses alternative shield regen rules so it's unclear if the weapons balance that well. MvM is a must if you want BSG games for sure, funnily enough CB started as a BSG style game, then became a generic game which needs a expansion to make it BSG again. Its quite roundabout but the core book is a very tight game system for sure.

Since its my birthday I decided to present myself with the starmada rulebook pdf and the rules annex. I really should get round to 3d printing a fleet of ships some time soon.