Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/56 scale vehicles - pros, cons, recommendations  (Read 10345 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: 1/56 scale vehicles - pros, cons, recommendations
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
never mix 2 models of the same vehicle from different ranges is THE RULE ..

Well, there are exceptions to every rule. I bought the Rubicon T-34/85 when it came out to mix with my existing Warlord Games plastic kits. I had been meaning to do a review/ comparison but never got around to it.

Whilst there are some subtle differences between the models, they are an excellent match size wise and any variation fits within the variation of model/ factory types of the originals. Painted up they are a good match and I was particularly happy with the Rubicon model which is very cleverly designed and an easy build. Detail and accuracy wise they are pretty much on par. I fully intend to get their new M5A1 Stuart kit to go with my WG version.

For my money Rubicon make the best plastic kits, with the WG ones a close second. WG's resin stuff is rather hit and miss IMO. Their Chafee is quite good, their M5A1 an excellent little kit, the Humber Mk IV is OK but their M-8 armoured car is awful. Poor fit, detail wrong and the turret just doesn't sit right.

For resin stuff, I reckon that the best stuff out there is JTFM and Company B. the detail on the JTFM models has to be seen to be believed. No problems with any of them taking primer and paint but then I always wash my resin kits before building them.

Hope that helps.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
I have JTFM, Warlord, Company B and Rubicon (recently acquired).

JTFM is top notch quality, easy to assemble, little to clean (flash and stuff), lots of extra bits and pieces.
Warlord is mediocre quality, sometimes a pain to assemble, lots to clean and no extra bits and pieces. These are the pre-plastic models though.
Company B I have only recently acquired so no comment yet. Seems clean enough and easy enough to assemble. No extra bits.
Rubicon: Basically your 1/56 modelling kit. Looks impressive I must say. Decals are indeed included.

I'm a fan of JTFM.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »
My Warlord Protze truck was a replacement for one I ordered from JTFM, along with some other bits and pieces. After nearly three months of waiting it hadn't turned up so I asked JTFM for a refund which was promptly given. It's a shame, as I've heard good things about them, but seen some other customers have had poor experiences with order times. Granted, it's a one man operation but competing against big boys like Warlord and innovators like Rubicon.
EC

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
I realise that you're now snowed under by opinions but... like many here, if you want resin, JTFM are unquestionably the best out there, fantastic detail, easy to assemble & not bad prices. Warlord stuff is generally decent - the newer stuff more so. Blitzkreig - again, very good, they tend to have fewer parts but the detail is still good. Company B - some good stuff, but I've had a few casting issues (bubbles mainly). Rubicon - what can I say, A PLASTIC BLITZ & its very good - a godsend known to anyone who's spent hours swearing at any of the resin/metal versions - plastic is undoubtedly a better material for softskin vehicles - the smaller & thinner nature of the parts makes their fit much better, without the aggro that often comes with other materials (speaking as someone who's made several resin/metal Blitz's).

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 04:20:56 PM »
My Warlord Protze truck was a replacement for one I ordered from JTFM, along with some other bits and pieces. After nearly three months of waiting it hadn't turned up so I asked JTFM for a refund which was promptly given. It's a shame, as I've heard good things about them, but seen some other customers have had poor experiences with order times. Granted, it's a one man operation but competing against big boys like Warlord and innovators like Rubicon.
EC

It is indeed the man's main problem. But be assured that good things come to those who wait. Even if it is more than 3 months. But yeah, I do understand you asked for a refund. Jeff is a magnificent chap in that regard.

Offline Wargames General

• Student
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
Rubicon models are really well designed, with a lot of options. I´m very proud of my Rubicon´s Shermans (I have three).  lol

We can add to the list of the well done 1/56 scaled vehicles the P51D Mustang from Shapeways. I just received one and is very well finished. Well defined panel lines and cockpit And you can fix and unfix the landing gear every time you need flying or landing. The same for the bombs and fuel wing tanks. The stand is really funny, with a big allied star. :D Great new project for this weekend, to paint and get ready to use asap. The pilots for the next week… and no problems with the shipment, very fast.

BF109G is available too, but I don´t know if has the same quality of the 1/56 scaled P51D Mustang.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 12:39:39 AM »
Hey guys,

Ok I've heard several issues here with our kits.  Can folks be more specific?  Which model?  When was it ordered? What color resin?

JTFM casts over 60% of our kits, and we have a smattering of five other companies that do the rest, both metal and resin.  Kits with any bubbles, missing portions or mold wear are supposed to be binned, but it can also be a sign of a bad master model or improperly aligned molds.  I've found that some of our guys that have production issues with older masters actually have no issues with the newer CAD printed models. I've recently binned entire runs of kits that don't past muster with minor flaws. If a model is looking worse for wear, that may mean it needs to go to the front of the line for a complete digital redo.

Since there are only three of us spread across the United States that do everything.  Shipping, design, sales, oversee production... We can't inspect  everything that comes in or goes out.  So along with asking for a new kit of anything that looks damaged or worn, your best course of action is to let us know what's bad and what happened. It's always our policy to send you a new kit or set of parts if something is missing or not correct.

We're redoing all the kits that are popular in CAD and casting more product with JTFM as well as new production partners, but there are a lot of kits in the lineup!

Brent
Company B

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 12:52:27 AM »
Brent,

I've owned three of your vehicles, and painted many for commission. They have been very well cast, and clean. A bit oily for clean up - mold release - but a good toothbrush scrub and no problem. The only model I've had problems with was a Crossley armoured car. I had to so significant work to fix casting problems, and the flash was very bad.

That's one vehicle in a host of excellent vehicles. One.

The Japanese landing craft were simply superb by the way - they rank among my favourites in painting. I made the fronts working with careful pinning and hinges. They reside with a customer in New Zealand now.

Haven't seen your 3D printed models (yet!) but I can only imagine they will be excellent.

Also, your decals are among the very best in the business. I love using them, they are consistently high quality.

My thoughts and opinion.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »
Hey guys,

We're ../.. casting more product with JTFM !

Brent
Company B

Stop it , we are waiting for JTFM releases of stuffs " coming soon "  ;)
Or send him 2 apprentices  lol
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 11:10:45 PM »
I've just finished the Rubicon M5A1 Stuart last night. It's a beautiful little model, really well detailed and cleverly designed. The design factor is one of the things that puts Rubicon ahead of the pack. The models fit together well, are logical to construct and are designed to allow you to field a range of options by incorporating alternative and extra parts. The one I made last night allows for three versions including the recce Stuart. Size wise it's an excellent match for the WG version I already have, to the extent that the track skirts from Rubicon version fit the WG version perfectly. Given that it's about the same price as the WG resin version and it allows you such versatility in terms of the build, Rubicon is the clear winner. They are even including decals with their latest kits. Really looking forward to making the M-8 Scott tonight.

Never had ay problems with Company B models and certainly not in terms of casting quality.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
I agree that the Rubicon models are excellent, fuss-free fit, good detail & well considered options - my only (fairly minor) criticism is that the tracks on some of the Germans vehicles lack the link detail that you'd find on the better resin options (and for that matter Warlord/Italeri's plastics).
 Regarding casting issues with Company B products - the AEC Dorchester I bought (via Great Escape Games in the UK) did suffer rather badly from bubbles, which required some red sculpt to rectify but I love the model & so dutifully filled them & in fairness you wouldn't  know they were there now.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 03:58:04 AM »
Ok, the Crossley is JTFM...but it's difficult to cast, so it may work it's way to the same production style as our new BA-10 and FA-1 armored cars.

The Dorchester is local (only 245 miles away!), and drop cast...usually bubbles are minimum, but early versions of the kits may have missed quality control. These guys don't use a pressure champers though, so it's all in how they pour the resin.

I need to pick up some Rubicon models ;-)    We have a number of new kits coming out that are pretty much add-ons to any manufacturer, but will also have a full kit version if we make it.  As well as the below, I'm combing through our lineup looking for which model we will give the CAD treatment to.

Dozer Blade
Mine Roller
76mm Mid model turret
76mm Late model turret
Panther F turret and Armor
Shurtzen Set
Erstaz Panther
DD Sherman update
Whirbelwind re-release
Ostwind

As for JTFM, I can't promise anything.  We have a long list of Joint projects with him as well.  The Lowe, Kitchen Series, Churchills, etc.  The latest models he cast for us the the Armored Easy Eight Sherman...

-Brent
Company b

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
Really interested in an Ausf F turret for Panther kits - have been waiting for JTFM's 'After 45' range with bated breath since its announcement, please tell me you'll have it soon!

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 05:52:45 PM »
 I can say towards scale vs size...there might be some issues as folks buy a certain vehicle branded as 28mm that might be smaller or bigger than 1/56 and that is not right...

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
I know with CAD, scale is pretty close to what we all say is 1/56.  The Blitzkrieg models are all very, very nice, and as they use CAD, I'm pretty sure the scale is dead on.  Ditto with Trenchworx models, and a few others.

Not to say hand made is not as good..as I do over half my own models from scratch.  But doing the masters in CAD does cut down on having to calculate scale.  Plus you can print them at any size once complete.

Always wanted to know how Blitzkrieg is doing with both 1/48 and 1/56.

Company B originally started out in 1/48,  But sales were not that great, and when we had both scales, the 1/56 kits were just more popular.  It took a few years to deplete the few 1/48 models we had.