Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 679
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/56 scale vehicles - pros, cons, recommendations  (Read 10377 times)

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
Re: 1/56 scale vehicles - pros, cons, recommendations
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 12:08:23 AM »
i agree ... on the CAD and scale :
the difference with 2 models done using CAD is mainly in the detail , not in the scale .

I own  Mad Bob Miniatures and  Neucraft Models Lorraine 37 and 47mmAPX gun, and there is no scale issue ...
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 06:50:35 AM »
Having finished the M-8 HMC kit I had a spare M-5A1 turret so for fun I swapped it for the one on the Warlord Stuart. Perfect match once I've add something to the turret base to keep it in place and I much prefer the Rubicon turret.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Plastic muscle

• Lurker
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Talking about the CAD, take a look to the shapeways web page. A lot of good quality 1/56 models. I have the BF 109 G6 into 1/56 scale. It is perfect. Panel lines are really well done, ;D and the aircraft give me the oportunity to use it like scenography or in air support.

My friends will have air problems from me playing Bolt Action. :D . Now I´m developing a WW2 german airfield. I will use a Kuwelwagen and a 1938 Volkswagen from Company B as ground support cars, 88mm antiaircraft gun from Empress miniatures with german crew (really are Legion Condor but seems to be luftwaffe soldiers), and a 2cm flak 38 too, maybe from Warlord.

I hope the Stuka from Blitzkrieg miniatures will be another good acquisition, if they decide to bring to life.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
Shapeway stuff is on the expensive side ...

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
Double check accuracy on all kits from all manufacturers imo. If you can compare pics a reference of the real thing to pictures of the kit then that's probably best.

Blitzkrieg are beautifully produced but often significant details, features and even basic shapes are horribly off. Generally an issue with 'reading' 2d elevations and plans cincorrectly.

Perrys-own (not to be confused with Blitzkrieg)have all been a little rugged and unrefined but, as always, polish up very well. Some are better than others, but I've bought the lot so far (Dingo, 250, CMP trucks, jeeps, kubelwagens, SAS Ford etc.). Several master makers make these for the Perry's, and some are a little more 'hand made' than others. The CV35 is very poor however and, imo, an anomaly.

Warlord resin is generally fine, the plastics (especially the Italeri ones) are pretty ace. Rubicon are excellent too but the first few kits had a couple of accuracy hiccups that can only be expected in a first run.

Quite like some JFTM, but the casting can be pretty ambitious. When they pull it off it works beautifully.

There's a funny little company in Oxfordshire who do some particularly good early war stuff ;-)

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
Can I be nosey Richard and ask what project you are thinking of?
I have some corgi die-cast half tracks which are lovely, I have a plastic warlord Hanomag 251 which is nice but I also have some resin models which are horrible 

Offline jtrnka

• Scientist
    • http://www.diewaffenkammer.com
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 01:09:23 PM »
My Warlord Protze truck was a replacement for one I ordered from JTFM, along with some other bits and pieces. After nearly three months of waiting it hadn't turned up so I asked JTFM for a refund which was promptly given. It's a shame, as I've heard good things about them, but seen some other customers have had poor experiences with order times. Granted, it's a one man operation but competing against big boys like Warlord and innovators like Rubicon.
EC

Strange I haven't issued any refunds for any Krupp Protze trucks could you send me a PM so I can look into this order ?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
I have heard the same about the Blitzkrieg models (read it somewhere on LAF).
I use an enamel car spray primer anyway, so shouldn't be so much of a problem. But I guess wash the resin casting in white spirit first, then hot soapy water? White spirit cleans up almost everything.

Resin, and certain plastic, can keep leaking oils quite a while after setting.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
Can I be nosey Richard and ask what project you are thinking of?
I have some corgi die-cast half tracks which are lovely, I have a plastic warlord Hanomag 251 which is nice but I also have some resin models which are horrible 

Thanks Colin.

Foolishly, I have started again on my Perry 8th Army and Afrika Korps. Like you, I find them irritatingly small and fiddly to paint. And yet, paradoxically, absolutely lovely figures full of character.
I love them and I hate them! Gnash!
So I thought perhaps I might get two or three small vehicles for each side, just to keep my interest going...  ;)

Really I was only interested in the differences between the Perry and Blitzkrieg stuff. But heck, now I have a wealth of information for when I can retire and start building huge tank armies in 28mm complete with air support*

;)

*This is never going to happen, by the way.

But thanks everyone anyway, for your knowledgeable contributions. And with only a modest amount of product pushing :D

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
Perry versus Blitzkrieg.  I's as simple as hand done versus CAD.

The CAD is pretty nice, consistent, and nice game models.  The Perry stuff always has one or two of those hand done flourishes that make their models very unique.  I think it depends on how you want to finish them, and the miniatures you are using.

Ideally, keep multiples of the same model with one manufacturer.  Tanks and such...trucks, like the Perry's LRDG ford were all field modified...so having variation in your platoon, either via your own doing or buy looking at other companies should look just fine.

Years ago, we bought the masters from Ian Crouch on his LRDG chevy even though we have our own...and if you put two of them down after painting, you could only tell the different on the wheels.  His were hand sculpts, ours was machined.  But that's an easy enough swap!  We dropped our old one and continued with his.  All the metal stowage and crews were compatible...  As Perry sculpts their own crews and miniatures, I would imagine their models would be ideally suited to work together.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
Good advice, thank you  :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Shapeway stuff is on the expensive side ...

Replace expensive with "stupid". And quality is lacking.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:01 PM »
Good advice, thank you  :)

Good luck with the project! Perry 8th Army are fantastic.

Offline whill4

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
So I have a noob question concerning the Warlord models. How does one distinguish between the old models and the new models? Between the Italeri and the other? I bought a 251 the other day and it seemed quite small. It made me sad.  :'(

Thanks,

whill4

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
Useful info as I too am about to embark on a similar project to Captain Blood and I was wondering exactly the same as he. I asked the same question over on TMP and got no response at all thus far, so finding this thread on here is fantastic. I was already accumulating Perry and Blitzkreig items anyway, I just wanted confirmation on compatability and now I know what to select and from whom. Excellent!  :D