Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:04:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure they have to be touching the enemy to provide support, and being in combat doesn't prevent a wizard from casting spells.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure they have to be touching the enemy to provide support, and being in combat doesn't prevent a wizard from casting spells.

A wizard cannot cast spells while in combat.  I double-checked, since this would have been a revelation.

Page 42:  "A figure may not cast a spell while in combat."

Offline ElOrso

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 06:52:36 PM »
Ok, so you support only if you also touch the enemy.

Casting or shooting from combat not allowed.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »
Does a figure need to be in base to base contact with both your own model and the enemy in order to grant the +2 for supporting?
Like this:
A1 - B
A2

The supporting figure needs to only be in contact with the enemy in order to support an attack.

Example:  A1 - B1 - A2

If A1 attacks, A2 can support.  From the rulebook:

Here, if either A1 or A2 spends an action to attack B1,
they will get a +2 modifier as there is another member of
the warband in combat with the B1 and not in combat
with anyone else. B1 may attack either A1 or A2 figure
but, again, whichever A figure is attacked will receive a
+2 modifier.

Or does he also support in the following situation where he is behind his warband member:
A1 A2 - B

A1 could not support the attack since he is not in combat with B.

Example:  A1 - A2 - B1 - B2

From the rulebook:

In this example, A2 and B1 are in combat and either
may use an action to fight the other. Neither would
receive a modifier as neither A1 nor B2 is in combat with
another enemy figure.

I presume that in case 1 if A1 is your wizard he's unable to cast spells? Does the same apply in case 2 where he is not in base to base and supporting from the back?
So can he cast a spell (e.g heal,possess,...).
If A1 would be an archer in the second case, could he shoot & support figure A2 during his attack round?

In the first example, the wizard cannot cast spells since spells cannot be cast while the caster is in combat.  In the second example, the wizard could cast a spell (or an archer could shoot an arrow, etc.) since the model is not in combat; however, that model would not be able to support a combat.

I'm interested to see how you guys handle this situation. We had a big melee over the last remaining treasure with 9 models in total and were unsure how to correctly calculate the whole thing. It looked something like this at some point, but during the rounds it took all kind of formations to be honest. :-)

A1 A2 - B1 B3 - A5 A6
A3 A4 - B2

In this example, A1, A3, and A6 are not in combat and cannot support, so the actual combat could be simplified to:

A2 - B1 - B3 - A5
A4 - B2

To get a support bonus, you will need to have at least a 2-to-1 situation.  B3 and A5 are both on their own, so we can remove them and are left with:

A2 - B1
A4 - B2

No support bonus can be received here either, as all of the model cancel each other out (see "Example 4" on page 37 of the rulebook).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:56:39 PM by Philhelm »

Offline ElOrso

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »
Thanks Philhelm, i think i get it now.

It also states that a figure only grants support if it's not engaged with another figure right?
e.g

A1 B1 A2 B2
    A3

When A1 strikes , he only get's support from A3 and not A2 as it's engaged to B2 i assume?

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »
It also states that a figure only grants support if it's not engaged with another figure right?
e.g

A1 B1 A2 B2
    A3

When A1 strikes , he only get's support from A3 and not A2 as it's engaged to B2 i assume?

Correct.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »
My group has 'Wandering' monsters and 'Fixed' monsters.

Wandering monsters are creatures rolled randomly, generally in groups of 3-6.  One group per player.  Each player places a group on a roadway or open space AFTER everyone has chosen their own starting spots (no closer than 12" from nearest group).  During play, there is a Monster phase in which the monsters rool to spot players and move towards them, or failing that randomly move 5" in a direction, or stay in place.  Wandering monsters do not enter buildings.

Fixed monsters are determined randomly each time a building is entered - there is a 30% chance of monsters in a building.  They are checked for (and appear) in the Monster phase after the building has first been entered by a group, and once revealed they will attack the group in the building, and if they manage to survive and kill/drive off the invaders, they exit the building and become Wandering monsters.  I dont think we have had a case of Fixed monsters surviving to become Wandering monsters, but they have certainly managed to leap out and kill many unsuspecting looters, err, adventurers.

We use the random monster tables from the book, but we have expanded the tables to cover higher-level parties.

Offline ElOrso

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 07:55:21 AM »
Seems you have a little bit more games under your belt to have come up with something like this.

I do like the idea of a lot of random monsters.

We have upped the price for all ranged models by 30gc at the moment. We'll see how that turns out.

At the moment we are also thinking about randomizing the spells you get when starting a warband to avoid seeing Elemental Bolt, Leap, ... in every list.
We'll create a few warbands and see how this turns out.

We are having a real blast with this game so far. :-*