Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos in Cochise County playtest  (Read 4576 times)

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
Chaos in Cochise County playtest
« on: November 23, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »
Working on some new rules prior to my re-launch of the Chaos in Cochise County Kickstarter and figured I'd share the playtest with you folks. Enjoy!

Scenario: Mexican Standoff
Warbands:  Regulators and US Marshals
Playtesters: Jim Viell & Nancy Ott

Since I was introducing the game to two players who had never played a Chaos In Action or Goalsytem Engine-based game in the past, we decided to limit the warbands to those featuring only humans with no supernatural models or elements so as to concentrate on the basic rules. Jim chose the Regulators and Nancy the US Marshals.

OPENING DUEL
The scenario opened with two models, one from each warband, facing each other in the center of town, ready to duel. In today’s fight, US Deputy Marshal Cannon is facing off against the Regulator’s Gun Thug, Kydd Wynters. The duelists’ allies waited at either end of town, ready to rush in when the firing commenced.

The duel is conducted by removing a complete suit (from Ace through King) from a standard deck of playing cards, shuffling them and setting them to one side. This is the Duel Deck.  The players each draw one card from the remaining deck and secretly note its value. The GM begins flipping the Duel Deck cards one at a time and when a player’s card is revealed, he or she activates their respective duelist. In today’s game, as soon as the first card from the Duel Deck was flipped, revealing a Queen, Jim revealed his Queen card and started the duel! Apparently Wynters was eager to fight!

Wynters fired and did little more than put a hole in Cannon’s hat. Cannon, not at all amused to have his hat blown off, revealing his prematurely balding hairline, returned fire, causing Wynters to suffer the loss of 2 Vitality points, seriously wounding him.

TURN 1

Play proceeded in the usual manner with the two players determining Initiative. Jim won the roll and got to act first.  He wisely chose to activate Wynters, moving the Gun Thug into a nearby store and taking cover.

Nancy took her first turn, activating her Henchmen Group of US Cavalrymen. They advanced at the gallop down the Main Street, taking up position in the middle of the first block.

Play then proceeded with Jim activating his next model and then Nancy activating one of hers and so on until all models from both warbands completed their individual turns. The first turn ended with both warbands advancing cautiously into the town and staying out of range of each other’s guns.

TURN 2
The second turn opened with the Regulators again winning the Initiative roll. Early in the turn, Jim’s Henchmen group, The Boys, spurred their horses forward and took aim at the fleeing Deputy Cannon. The final result after a lot of Fate dice being expended to try and negate the damage, resulted in Cannon being shot down in the street.

The remaining members of both warbands advanced further into town, attempting a few long-range shots but causing no damage. Even Lonesome Charley, the Regulator’s eagle-eyed, ex Confederate sharpshooter, was distressed to find his crack shooting stymied when he blasted the Marshal’s Pinkerton ally, Shady Pete. Despite Pete losing all of his Vitality to this deadly Buffalo Gun shot, he passed the test to resist Knock Out and rose from the ground, brushing dust from his clothing to continue his advance!

Lonesome Charley

Shady Pete the Pinkerton

TURN 3
Once again the Regulators won the Initiative and the third turn found some of the combatants within effective range of each other with the firing now growing hotter.  Wynters blasted away at Shady Pete from the window of the gun store in which he was hiding but missed. Pete, already angry after being shot by Charley, leveled his shotgun and yelled, “Enough of this!” and gave Wynters both barrels, taking the wily outlaw out of action!

The only other significant action this round was Lonesome Charley again displaying his skill, forcing Chief Deputy Marshal Silas Caine to lose a Vitality point in spite of his excellent cover inside a nearby doorway.

The Boys switch their attention to the US Cavalry squad and letting out a whoop, send some lead down the street. The Cavalry lose a man and suffer Pinning, leaving them shaken and disordered.

TURN 4
Jim once again won the Initiative round (It seemed to be a habit with him) and took the chance to send one of his sneakier men, Dastardly Dave, along the backside of the street in an effort to get him closer to the enemy while avoiding their gunfire.

Dastardly Doug managed to sneak undetected through the town and drew close enough to Deputy Marshal Kolchak where he would be more easily able to practice his knife-fighting abilities. First, however, he chanced a snap shot at Kolchak using his sawed-off shotgun. This resulted in a lot of damage to a nearby wall but none to the Deputy Marshal. Fortunately for Doug, Kolchak’s pistol shot did the same to another building.

Meanwhile, the Regulators’ employer, the Cattle Baron Colonel Caldwell, took up station in the gun store alongside his fallen ally. Caldwell took careful aim through the window and blasted Shady Pete out of existence before the deadly Pinkerton Agent could do the same to him!

Deputy Marshal Muldaur, armed with his crossbow (a weapon he finds brutally effective against some of the supernatural opponents he’s faced!) proves its use against less fearsome foes as well, taking out a hapless Regulator cowboy.

In the Main Street, the depleted US Cavalrymen reordered their lines and charged the Regulators’ rough-riding cowhands. The charge was only semi-successful, The Boys standing the charge and only losing one of their own.  The Boys activated next and hacked and stabbed their way into the hapless cavalry squadron, reducing it to a single, desperate man!

TURN 5
The fifth turn opened with…you guessed it…Jim winning Initiative. The battle raging in the Main Street finds the lone US Cavalry Soldier desperately fighting for survival, taking out another one of the Boys before being overwhelmed and taken down.

Colonel Caldwell, not at all rattled by the gunfire striking the window frame behind which he was covered, returned fire and took Caine out of action with a particularly accurate shot! Three brave US Marshals lay wounded in the street the locals will come to nickname Bloody Alley!

Deputy Muldaur again displays his skill with his archaic weapon, planting a bolt painfully into Lonesome Charley and erasing 2 of Charley’s Vitality points!

Marshal Kolchak is the unfortunate victim of Dastardly Dave’s expertise with bladed weapons.
Dave charges and slashes away a Vitality point. Kolchak defends himself with a half-hearted swipe that Dave easily blocks.

END GAME
At this point and before Initiative is rolled for the next round, Nancy decides it would be better for the Marshals to preserve what strength they have left for another day and call off the fight, retreating with their wounded.

The Regulators commemorate their victory by taking over the local saloon and celebrating well into the night.

All in all a good fight but the Marshals, despite enjoying good luck early in the game, found themselves quickly out-maneuvered and shot up. But they’ll re-group and come back to clean up the town!

"Fasten your seat belt. I wanna try something..."

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Chaos in Cochise County playtest
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
10c for a bath what a rip off -  lol Great looking game and terrain. Good to see mounted cowboys/gunslingers too.

As a matter of interest how good are the rules at handling brawls or hand to hand combat? I recently looked at Dead Man's Hand but was tad put off by the close combat rules. Looking for something which can effectively handle a saloon fisticuffs type scenario.

My favourite thus far has been Deadlands miniature game (oddly dressed up as railwars...).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
10c for a bath what a rip off
I know, right? Probably why no one in the Old West ever took one!

The only Western rules I'm familiar with (other than the ones I'm working on, of course!) are GW's Legends of the Old West. Their Hand-to-hand is quick and deadly. Combats stretching over the course of more than two turns are rare.

My rules are built using the Goalsystem engine. If you're familiar with Chaos in Cairo or Chaos in Carpathia (or to a lesser extent Supersytem), it uses the same mechanics.

The system is all D-6 based. The models involved in the fight roll a number of dice equal to their Agility plus any extra skill bonuses and situational modifiers. In addition, models have a finite pool of dice called Fate dice that they can add to  their roll but once used are gone for that game.

Any rolls of 4, 5 and 6 count as successes called Goals. The players add up the number of goals (6s count double) and compare totals. The high score wins the fight with Defenders winning ties.

If the attacker wins the fight, the defender resists by again rolling dice equal to its Damage Resistance (its Strength +1) and if the roll equals or exceeds the Damage Number for the attack (for example, a knife is DN4, a pistol DN5) it resists the damage.

Otherwise, the model suffers Vitality loss equal to the difference in the scores. Once a model reaches 0 Vitality, it has to check to resist Knock Out and if successful, stays in action. Any additional damage (even just 1 point) takes the model out of action for the rest of the game.

Allies in combat give the attacker or defender bonuses to its roll.

Combat is more cinematic than realistic but moves fast and most games usually go no more than 8 turns so it's possible to get several games in during a play session.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
Sounds like theres gold in them here mountains - so how does one get ones grubby paws on said rules partner.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:17:07 PM »
Great photos.
Love your home made buildings.
Excellent battle report.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »
Great looking photos and terrain. I'm envious.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »
Really cool !

Is your gaming mat a felt cloth ? It looks pretty good, what color is it ?

thanks

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »
Sounds like theres gold in them here mountains - so how does one get ones grubby paws on said rules partner.

Still in the middle of prepping my Kickstarter but I will be sure to let you know. Watch for announcements here and elsewhere. Also, is it okay to private message you here?

Thanks for the compliments on the buildings. They're all scratch built by me. I'm working on a Chinatown and Mexican village at the moment. I'll have photos up when they're finished.

Is your gaming mat a felt cloth ? It looks pretty good, what color is it ?
It is felt and has a crushed foam surface. It is tan in color. I forget the company that makes it. I'll unroll it and get back to you. I'll also see if I can provide a link.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:58:49 AM by BunkerMonkey »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »
thank you !

I'm currently searching for light weight options for several generic portable gaming mats (desert, grass, dirt, snow) since I definitly lack hobby time, and don't want to spend it building my own gaming mats, so I started to take a serious look on felt cloths : the main difficulty is to find the good colors for it, since on fabric sales websites, the pics are not very good, or worst, not even matching the real products.

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 04:39:06 AM »
Found it. MKP Battlefield terrain accessories.
www.mondayknight.com

The one I have is the plain desert mat
http://www.mondayknight.com/Mats/Flocked.html

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »
thank you,

I thought it was "just" some felt fabric you bought in a fabric supplies store, to be honest I was more searching for a color reference (especially since I'm located in europe), but I appreciate the move anyway!

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 01:53:56 AM »
I'll see if I can't take a photo of it in natural light and post or send it to you. Would that help?

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 09:45:49 PM »
Hi,

Thank you but the problem will be finding good pics in french (or at least, european) fabrics online stores (I live in France deep south  countryside, I have to buy almost everything online, except food and usual hardware supplies) to compare with yours ;)

I already found a good sample of green felt (30x30cm, called "olive green" but it's a perfect match for most "summer grass" modelling flocks available), but now the problem is to find it in big sizes...

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 04:17:54 AM »
Ah, I see! I foolishly did mot take note of your location!  Are you anywhere near Carcassone? I've always wanted to visit there.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
I live in south west coast, so going to Carcassone wich is more in "central" south (even if they would not agree, since they say it's still south west lol) would take me about 4 hours driving. But you're right, it's a beautiful fortified city, even if I never went there too. I also like La