Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LBMS transfers and banners  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: LBMS transfers and banners
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »
Right, let's remember here you're dealing with a transfer and not a live hand grenade!

Step 1...
Get the full decal sheet and peel back the shiny stuff then lay it back down. When you've cut the shield to size, said shiny stuff will then come off a treat.

Step 2...
Bung the transfer on the shield and remove the paper.

Step 3...
Press the shield firmly, transfer face down, onto a block of blutak covered with clingfilm... trust me, after that you'll have no 'ballooning' and no ridges.

Step 4...
Weather shield face to heart's content.

Step 5...
Send Harry a crisp, new twenty pound note as a thank you for his invaluable whirls of pisdom.

Simple... innit!!!???

;)

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
Seriously though, I use all the above. I'm also toying with sticking a transfer on the end of a scalpel then removing the paper. I'm wondering if it's then possible to place the transfer more accurately... being able to see wot yer doing!

???

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
The blutak/cling film thing seems like a good idea, I'll try that on my Saxons and see how it goes!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
Mission Report...

Just done a unit's worth of Spartan Hoplite shield transfers. Using all the codswallop in steps 1 to 5  ::).
I tried sticking the transfers on one of them long thin scalpel blade thingys, removing the white paper then applying the transfer, you can see wot yer on with, and the transfers are a lot tougher than you's imagine while you're dickheading about with them...

:o Total sucksess!!!  :o

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 12:02:59 AM »
Pictures please!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »
They're only 15 milli munchkins, here's some I did earlier...

;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:28:24 PM by Harry Faversham »

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 02:01:58 AM »
Very nice! If all goes to plan I should have some anglo-saxon models ready for transfer application in the next day or two, I'll definitely be trying your tips!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
I'll definitely be trying your tips!

Oh, no pressure there then, glad you don't know where I live... you don't do you!?

:'(  :o  :'(

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »
Another thing I've tried when testicles have been dropped with shield transfers... use a soft lead pencil to shade a crinkle into a slash mark before weathering and wotnot. It works well in munchkin scale haven't tried it with the big boys yet.

::)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
Flags and banners, just spent a happy hour painting the edges of some Viking banners and wotnot. Top tip for thm as is new to it... always paint 'em to lose the white edges, it'll improve your flags/banners one hundred and ten percent for very little effort. Even a white flag edge benefits from having a shadow or three picked out... right, carry on!

;D

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11:18 PM »
This is my Anglo-Dane/Anglo-Saxon warlord. The banner bearer is not quite finished, and my wife gently point out to me that I have attached the banner upside down, so that will need to be replaced in the future as well.

Here are some of his Hearthguard:

And here is my Viking warlord. His banner also still needs to be finished by adding a topper to the banner pole. I wasn't sure if I wanted to just use a spear tip or add a raven or something.

And some of my Viking hearthguard:

And finally my Berserkers. I went with the 'warrior cult of Odin' rather than the 'frothing naked lunatic' interpretation of berserkers.

Over all, I've tried to keep the vikings darker than the english by using darker metallics and darker colours to give them a distinct look.

All the shields and banners are from LBMS and they are great. They're a bit fiddly, but the results can be worth it. Essential to success IMO was cutting the inside of the transfer, the hole where the shield boss pokes through, as sometimes this hole is a bit small and cutting the transfer allows it to sit much more smoothly. Also, I used Harry's blu-tack in cling-wrap trick to squeeze out any water and ensure a smooth application. I did this with all my saxon shields and I think it made a difference.

And here's some terrain, and the table set up for a game:

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:13:19 PM by Gracchus Armisurplus »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 10:04:01 AM »
Looks great does that little lot. Nice, isn't it when your beloved says...

"Yes dear, that looks lovely, but put the flagman on a fizzer for nailing it on the pole upside down!"

Herself got one of my swallow tailed flagmen stuck under her snotter the other day for her to tell me how brilliant it, and I, was...

"Yes dear, that looks lovely, but put the flagman on a fizzer that middle triangle thingy is a lot thicker than the others!"  

Course, from then on, every time I looked at the entire Warband all I could see was the bodged swallow tail. In mending it I managed to hack off three of the red swallow tails and bollix up the the whole shebang!
Incidentaly, I've now discovered a way of making a shield transfer look even crapper than my painted efforts... and they look like they were done by a blind man on a galloping horse!

:'(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:22:05 AM by Harry Faversham »

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »
Looks great does that little lot. Nice, isn't it when your beloved says...

"Yes dear, that looks lovely, but put the flagman on a fizzer for nailing it on the pole upside down!"

Herself got one of my swallow tailed flagmen stuck under her snotter the other day for her to tell me how brilliant it, and I, was...

"Yes dear, that looks lovely, but put the flagman on a fizzer that middle triangle thingy is a lot thicker than the others!"  

Course, from then on, every time I looked at the entire Warband all I could see was the bodged swallow tail. In mending it I managed to hack off three of the red swallow tails and bollix up the the whole shebang!
Incidentaly, I've now discovered a way of making a shield transfer look even crapper than my painted efforts... and they look like they were done by a blind man on a galloping horse!

:'(

hahaha, exactly!

"Here honey, have a look at this guy!"

"Oh, very nice. But is the banner meant to be upside down?"

"What? Oh..."

There's every chance I'd never have noticed if she hadn't point it out :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
:o Isn't an upside down flag a sign of distress!!!???  :o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 04:49:20 AM »
 "Essential to success IMO was cutting the inside of the transfer, the hole where the shield boss pokes through, as sometimes this hole is a bit small and cutting the transfer allows it to sit much more smoothly."

Exactly how, please, as the boss-hole is one of my concerns about using the transfers I've purchased?

How do you make sure that the boss fits through?

I haven't tried my ropes with the shield transfers, yet, but as I found this thread, I thought I'd seek some info...  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84