Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691122
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How Far Can IHMN Go ?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
How Far Can IHMN Go ?
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
Hi.

Is there any reason why IHMN cannot be used for other pulp periods ? Even may be Dr Who settings ?

TIA

Pete
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
W.S. Churchill

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: How Far Can IHMN Go ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »
Absolutely no reason whatsoever.

We have already published a number of non-Victorian additions including a Dad's Army Hallowe'en special last year (IHMN Blog), the Blood & Faith Genre Pack (IHMN Blog), and the Firefly Armoury (IHMN FB Page). Not to mention that Daisho and the upcoming Blood Eagle are both based on the same core rules as IHMN :D

In between everything else we are still working on a generic fantasy genre pack and possibly a Pulp Superhero one as well.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:38:26 PM »
Can you tell us any more about the fantasy pack or is it all a bit hush hush.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
It is a side project, as you can imagine. Our main writing focus is Blood Eagle at the moment which will add new stuff we can weave into the fantasy project. So it won't be available until next year.

Our core concept for the fantasy genre pack is to give you the tools to create a game with all the classic fantasy/D&D themes within it. So there shall be an extensive bestiary filled with classic fantasy monsters, a full armoury, a set of suggested retinues (companies) that cover a lot of human and non-human types and which have the capability to be moulded to your favourite fantasy world, links to all the relevant IHMN, Daisho and Blood Eagle powers and traits/skills/talents, and some example lists to get your creative juices flowing.

Also, it won't be set in a single, limited setting. If you think of all the landscapes, scenarios and complicators currently available in IHMN and Daisho, add the new ones coming in Blood Eagle, and then a few new ones that can only come from classic fantasy then imagine the combinations.

So, if you want to play in Mordheim, Osgiliath, Lankhmar, Waterdeep, Ankh-Morpork, Bree, Tanelorn, Torchlight, Mordor, Undermountain, Tekumel, Hy Breasil or any other fantasy location, these rules will take you there.

IHMN was only the beginning...

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Sounds great, looking forward to it.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
Damn, now you went and got me excited...  :D
Any chance of incorporating epic, larger than life heroes in a balanced fashion, and the slow grinding down of heroes common to many dungeoncrawlers? (usually accomplished via hit points, but as IHMN uses pluck instead I'd like to see your take on it.)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »
To the centre of the Earth, presumably?  ;)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
Any chance of incorporating epic, larger than life heroes in a balanced fashion, and the slow grinding down of heroes common to many dungeoncrawlers? (usually accomplished via hit points, but as IHMN uses pluck instead I'd like to see your take on it.)

We have found in Daisho that giving heroes points they can exchange for die rerolls does postpone their inevitable demise somewhat. We are including a Hero Points system into Blood Eagle as well.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:28 PM »
Ooh, good point, I hadn't thought of looking at Daisho for options. <wanders off, looking for his dunce cap... ;)>

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »
It strikes me that IHMN has the potential to be a 'Universal Engine'. I could see mileage in Craig and Charles simply releasing scenario books with slight amendments to suit the period/genre and lists which could cover a wealth of historical and fantasy/SF periods as they did recently with the lace punk version.

I've certainly considered post-apocalypse usage and with a wealth of BCW figures it would not be a stretch to move on to diesel-punk or backwards to Stone-age tribes and forwards to street gangs aka Warriors and similar films.

Might be a market worth exploring!!

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »
Damn, now you went and got me excited...  :D

I find you can already larger than life heroes worth 70+ points yet. If you agree with your opponent you could stretch the maximum pluck (or any other skill) beyond the rules limitation and get a super hero(ine). IHMN has become our standard universal skirmish set for all periods and genres.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
edit: https://inhermajestysname.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/tarzan-lord-of-the-apes-v-2.pdf

Tarzan is 75 points in the above listing.

I do find the more powerful the lead characters (no pun intended) the smaller the party can become unless you have cheep-cheep-cheap grunts like the Mexican rebels do in the Heroes, Villains, and Fiends supplement.  Peons with Machetes run around 6 to 9 points each IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:22:25 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »
It strikes me that IHMN has the potential to be a 'Universal Engine'. I could see mileage in Craig and Charles simply releasing scenario books with slight amendments to suit the period/genre and lists which could cover a wealth of historical and fantasy/SF periods as they did recently with the lace punk version.
Might be a market worth exploring!!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

If we were to produce a series of say 24 page pdfs, as suggested by Lord Tehet above, would you be interested in purchasing them, and if so how much would you be willing to pay? We could produce them for a range of genres and settings for which you would need IHMN to act as the core rules set.

They would be text heavy with a full-colour cover and just a few internal photos/illustrations (to keep the cost down and content up)?

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
I would certainly be interested.

As too cost, can I suggest you look at what the Too Fat Lardies charge for their Chain Of Command PDF scenario/campaign packs.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »
Yep definitely of interest. A 3 to 10 pounds - 5 to 15 dollar ish mark seems reasonable depending on the content.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/