Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tramp Steamer  (Read 12488 times)

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
Re: Tramp Steamer
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 06:26:04 AM »
The Revisco paper kit is very nice!!!!  awesome work done!!

what scale is that again?
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »
Looking good
How much is the original kit and how much is your hard work?
Does the kit help make it easier. With your obvious level of modelling skill could you not have built is from scratch.
Where did you get the smokestack?
Making one like this is on my To-do list. Seeing your one has brought it near to the top. I will have to try one soon.
Keep up the good work

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
Here are some pics of the in-progress modification of the Revisco paper kit. 

Nice work...

Just goes so show what a bit of creativity can do with a basic product.

Hope we get to see some pics when you're finished.

Ray (alias Lava)

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
The scale is 28mm, but I'll likely be using it for 1/72.  I do more dioramas than wargaming, but usually 28mm vehicles and terrain work fine for the toy soldiers.

The superstructure of the hull is made from the kit, gluing the pieces to corrugated cardboard.  The outer hull used the pattern from the kit, but I traced it onto a heavier stock paperboard. 

What makes the Revisco kit worthwhile is that it comes with two Ziploc bags full of metal parts for the ship - ventilators, portholes (though I'm now convinced that they could be made with eyelets available in fabric stores), the boat davits, search lights (though there aren't as many as one sees in the pictures), lots of engine room accessories, anchors and winches, rigging blocks, things like that.  Those are what I bought the kit for, originally planning on using them on a longer, taller ship I'd be working on... but I liked the look of the Minos better, so I tried basing mine off of that.  I cut out some of the railing and instead used some smaller chicken wire (which I also used for the ladder).
The smokestack being used is simply made of paper, but I'm worried that it's too flimsy and might get damaged, so I'm making another out of a piece of 3/4" lightweight PVC pipe.  The three-dimensionality of the smokestack is achieved by using craft puff-paint.  I went around it, making raised areas because I could not find an item that had that appearance in the right scale.  The rivets on the smokestack, as on the boat, are also made with dabs of puff paint, which hardens when it dries.
The decks are made of strips of balsa wood.  Had I thought about it, I'd have made sure to put the wood fromdifferent pieces next to each other, rather than going strip-by-strip; this would've given less uniformity to the color and have made it seem more lifelike, I think.
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
I have found that the Revisco works great for 28mm.  Their "Thor" ship, thats more for 1/72 scale.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »
Here are some pics of the in-progress modification of the Revisco paper kit. 

I still have to do the stairs, cut down part of the deck, mix my natural stain with a little bit of polyurethane walnut and seal said deck, stain and put up the masts, etc.  I'm also switching to a rounder, less elliptical smokestack.  Plus, of course, painting and weathering.

As you can see, there's still a lot of work to be done, but I'm pleased with how it's going.  I may go around the edges of the hull with a little bit of puff-paint so that it's a little rounder and less card-like.

That truly looks excellent... but before you go further I should point out that a ship's deck runs lengthways not widthways. I'm not a button counter by any means, but I thought you'd rather hear it now than when the model is finished and some other smart-ass points it out.

I feel bad mentioning it at all, but I figured, you'd rather know than not  :-I

I can't wait to see it all done though, I'm really impressed with the model. When you say paper $60 seems a lot of dough... but wow!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:15:51 AM by Jim Hale »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 01:13:43 AM »
I have had one of Reviresco's Thors on my back burner for a while.  This is really inspiring me.  I had planned to do the rivets with cut down straight pins but your rivets done with "puff paint" look great.  What is puff paint and where can I get my hands on it through the internet?!? Guam is not a Mecca for gaming supplies  >:( lol
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 04:57:57 AM »
It's not a gaming supply, as far as I know, it's a craft supply, the sort of thing used by kindergartners to make valentine cards.  One uses it to write on posters and the like, and it dries three-dimensionally. 

The brand I used is Polymark, a 1oz bottle, if that helps.

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »
Amazing stuff - well done
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....