Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690516
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The "Design any fantasy warband" thread  (Read 8551 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: The "Design any fantasy warband" thread
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 12:34:01 AM »
Funny you should mention that! I painted up some fairly standard fantasy fighters as the Treacle Street Watchhouse Specials for Stacy and Michael Weaver, as payment for services rendered long ago. I suppose I ought to actually send them out now, eh?

Take a couple of pics and post them here first, though  :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
Malamute (God bless him for his selflessness), is already helping me plan it out. I think you lot have special lead-based hypnopowers.  o_o

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »
Malamute (God bless him for his selflessness), is already helping me plan it out. I think you lot have special lead-based hypnopowers.  o_o

Funny you should say that, but my silly, frivolous Discworld warband is actually looking like a feasible project to me now. It seems the Prof has included some kind of digital-hypno-magic-voodoo in this site's coding, which makes otherwise relatively "normal" people do very odd things  lol

I'm looking for suitable figures right now.....

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »

Funny you should say that, but my silly, frivolous Discworld warband is actually looking like a feasible project to me now. It seems the Prof has included some kind of digital-hypno-magic-voodoo in this site's coding, which makes otherwise relatively "normal" people do very odd things  lol

I'm looking for suitable figures right now.....

It's called 'The Witchheimer Syndrome' by my assistants....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 01:15:16 PM »
I think my warband would probably be dwarf themed, led by my Dwarf Big Game Hunter mini in pith helmet and armed with an elephant gun.  He'd be backed up with a couple norse dwarf berzerkers (not the ones with orange hair!), a few of "the boys" with axes and chainmail, a couple of flint-lock handgunners.  I think three or four pigmy guides would also be appropriate!

Maybe not quite what you meant - but fantasy none-the-less.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »
I think three or four pigmy guides would also be appropriate!

Now you just gave me a vision of a Darkest Africa setting where all the white men are dwarves, and all the natives are pygmies.... Some of Bob Olley's Scrunts should do for the evil oppressing europeans, Kallistra's pygmies....  ;D

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
Not quite what I had in mind, but if it gives you another project to add to the ever-increasing wishlist - go fo it!! :D

I was thinking more of Darkest Africa meets Warhammer Armies (3rd Edition army lists).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
That’s funny. I recently re-started painting fantasy figures in the past few days…

I’ve been playing Diablo II on my PC and that, combine with this post by Doomhippie http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7447.msg82892#msg82892 about Broadsword Adventures, lead me to an order to Reaper Miniatures… So far I have a human bandit, a dwarf warrior, some dungeons loots and a bunch of Cavemen and Cavegirl (to play the bad guys). I don’t know if any of this will lead to any kind of game but, so far, it’s good to paint something different.

Rhoderic, for familiars look at the Reaper Minis site. There’s a LOT of it throughout their range.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 01:08:17 AM »
I have been pondering this a little bit too.

I put together this character who I can only describe as a hard-boiled Renaissance man. He has some very puffy clothes, including feathery hat, and he is holding to long pistols akimbo with a mean look on his face. I thought I might make him some kind of detective...

THEN I thought, how about some town watch for a Mordheim band? Trying to restore order to the streets! I don't see how they would be any different to the mercenary warbands, but it might be something at least visually different. Maybe a gold star on the Leader? Anyway, a good thread, hope to see some results!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 06:21:26 AM »
I think my Wizards & Gremlins warband won't be realized any time soon, if ever. None of the Goblin miniatures I've found are really suitable for the kind of "wizard's servant" Gremlins I have in mind, especially as upon closer reflection I'd like some of them to be armed with cartoonish blunderbusses, bombs, flamethrowers etc. I suppose I could go for Gnomes instead (I've seen at least a couple of suitable figures around) but I had my heart set on goblinoids of some sort.

But oh well, I said this was just speculative, and speculative it will remain.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Probably not what you're after but these could be used as a base for some robes

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
Heresy do some nce familiars.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
There's some plastic Gretchin coming out for WH40k. They might have some wacky guns in there!

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
I don't know if the Warhammer Fantasy Rules will allow it, but I've always wanted to develop a Dogs of War Mercenary Regiment(s) that would have all the Races included. Elves, Beastmen, Orcs, Humans (the Majority), Dwarves, etc. with a 20% discount if your cause was "Good".

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »
I don't know if the Warhammer Fantasy Rules will allow it, but I've always wanted to develop a Dogs of War Mercenary Regiment(s) that would have all the Races included. Elves, Beastmen, Orcs, Humans (the Majority), Dwarves, etc. with a 20% discount if your cause was "Good".

They would probably have you hanged, drawn and quartered if they found out what you are planning!

Must be official!   lol