Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action Modern Rules  (Read 4369 times)

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
Bolt Action Modern Rules
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
I've removed the original post info given the outcome of this thread below.  My apologies all.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:34:41 AM by sotek486 »

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
Re: Bolt Action Modern Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »
One small change to the above (already reflected in the PDF download) --- ATGM/TOW doesn't take a -1 to hit penalty at long range.

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:46 AM »
Those building clearance rules look very 'inspired' by those featured in the Force on Force Fallujah supplement...

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
Those building clearance rules look very 'inspired' by those featured in the Force on Force Fallujah supplement...

Indeed they are ... wanted to use them with Bolt Action.

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
I wrote them so that's why I was surprised at how closely you've been 'inspired' by them including use of the same terminology and largely the same process although you really need to change the spelling of breaching...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:57:21 AM by The Travelling Man »

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:02:26 AM »
Fantastic work, I was hoping that a modern set of Bolt Action would appear and you seem to have nailed it. Thanks for sharing this

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
I wrote them so that's why I was surprised at how closely you've been 'inspired' by them including use of the same terminology and largely the same process although you really need to change the spelling of breaching...

Cool, you did great.  I did fix breaching in the download, just didn't replace the images ;-)

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 06:44:42 PM »
I don't think you are understanding my point. Do you think it's acceptable to copy something, in some parts almost virtually word for word, and pass it off as your own work without any acknowledgement as to the source?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:47:36 PM by The Travelling Man »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
Gents we take a very dim view of copyright/IP issues here at LAF, so if you aren't able to reach an amicable solution, the images must come down and the link to download them removed. If TM wishes, I can do that in any case.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »
The easiest way is, when sotek486 quotes the "inspired" parts with footnotes and the rest can use it. Is this maybe a good idea???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »
I don't think you are understanding my point. Do you think it's acceptable to copy something, in some parts almost virtually word for word, and pass it off as your own work without any acknowledgement as to the source?

Well, I'll admit they are inspired by the FoF supplement ... but they are certainly not copied word for word ... in fact, the actual implementation of the rules are very different from what is in the FoF book (since they have to be as BA and FoF are very different systems).  I'm fairly sure had I just not used "UNK" and called them "Buildings of Interest" or something you'd likely not really have made the comparison.  I'd hope this is more of a compliment than anything else.

I simply wanted to use a similar mechanism in BA.  That all being said, I made these for my own purpose ... I'll use them in my group at home ... I shared them for the betterment of the community since I have not seen anything similar for Bolt Action to date.  I'm not claiming any copyright ... I'm not selling them ... I just shared for others enjoyment ... I just wrote down the "house rules" I'm using at home ... that's really it.

I apologize if you feel this was some underhanded attempt to do something dishonorable.

I've removed the images FIW.  Since they are just done in a "quick reference" format ... I'd don't have any space to add anything unrelated to the game.  If this is a "big" issue I'll just take it down and keep it for myself and my group to use ... no skin off my back.  Also, FIW, I've changed all the terminology that was similar.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:27:11 PM by sotek486 »

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
I don't personally care whether it was for home use or not. You posted it on the web as a publicly available download.

The point is you have very obviously referenced something that I wrote, and someone else is still selling as part of a product, and passed it off as your own work. That's my one and only issue. AAG hold the copyright, not me, so that's none of my concern either.

I would not have been bothered if you'd changed the names of the terms or made more of an attempt to conceal where the rule came from, or acknowledge it, but you didn't. All rules authors take ideas and content from others- it's the nature of the beast but they just tend to be not so blatant.

Offline sotek486

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 02:32:47 AM »
I'm not professing any of the rules to be my work ... I simply just put together the quick reference sheets (so my terrible memory can be spared attempting to remember all the rules) and shared for others enjoyment.  The terms that were similar have been changed.

Just to be clear, I'm just a guy playing wargames in his garage with friends that has a blog to share my love of the hobby and the various things I use to play games ... that is it ... no hidden agenda ... I'm not a company ... I'm not trying to undermine anything ... just trying to "pay it back" to the community as without the "community" I would not have figured out most of what I know about miniature gaming today.  This is my hobby ... not my job ... I'll hopefully never get to that point.

Perhaps that I was quick (without knowing who you were) to acknowledge (early in the thread) that the building rules were inspired by your work would somehow demonstrate that I was not trying to "hide" anything from anyone would help convince you I'm not trying to pass the rules off as my own ... in fact, most of it is just minor modifications to the reference sheet provided by Warlord Games ... I didn't write the rules ... I just built the sheets (I actually thought that would be the obvious part).

I'll leave it there.  Perhaps we agree to disagree at the end of the day.  I'm not looking to drag this on any further.  I do hope ... sincerely hope ... that the changes in some small way make you feel a little better.

Regards,

Jay
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:53:46 AM by sotek486 »

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »
At the end of the day I say, that there is a lot of wown work in your BA Modern-List. I have to say thank you, because I can use it very good in the moment. So, TM, maybe you can make the agreemant, that one sentence at the end like "Inspired by the mechanism of FOF Falujah" would help?

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
I too commented that these were useful and well presented, I own several Bolt Action books and several more FoF books of which I intend to buy even more. This modern version of Bolt Action just makes me wish that Warlord would publish their own-which I would buy.

One could argue this has been an excellent advert for both sets....?