Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Middle Earth in 1/72  (Read 17692 times)

Offline spud

• Assistant
Re: Middle Earth in 1/72
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 03:52:20 AM »
Thanks!   Yes, this project is about volume, not individual models. I mainly use the free Kings of War rules which is all about massive amounts of troops with little emphasis on heroes...you do not remove models, just make note of casualties until the unit folds. I am working towards the Last Alliance battle which is described in the Silmarillion as a battle between all that is good vs all that is bad...a good excuse to mix things up....best part is that Gondor army cost less that $50

I use a very fast method to paint..First block out the colors, wash, heavy dry brush of white to pick out all the details then a quick tint of the original colors thinned with a water/dish soap mix...not a wash,  but a glaze to add color to the white highlights....the swordsmen are a good example. 

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 04:43:55 AM »
Representing all that is evil, here are some ancient Revell 15th Century Knights to be used as Black Numenorian. These figures represent all that is horrible about old school 1/72...I had them lying around forever until bringing them into this project. The paint flakes like crazy on these old kits so I used a new trick...Aleenes Tack it Again glue...its is more or less glue that does not dry..used for scrap booking, stays sticky and flexible. Too late to prime these with the glue, but have been repairing flakes..so far so good....

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »
I like the look of the cavalry.  Too bad the paint flakes so badly, though--that can be so demoralizing!

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 01:34:51 AM »
I found the flake to be a problem with older kits...new ones with harder plastic like Ceasar do not have the problem...You all should recognize this dude...using old  old school 25mm for the heroes...no idea of the make or year of this, fished it out of ye olde bits box

Offline noigrim

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
I used the army painter inks and now the vallejo sepia ink, not sure about its protection power tough since the models haven't left the display yet.

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 12:51:48 AM »
Hey Happy New Year all..now down to business...here are my take on the orcs...these were some of the first I did, so a little sloppy...but as I mentioned, this project is about masses of troops rather than individuals. I know about the Dark Alliance 1/72 orcs but felt they were too close to the Peter Jackson/GW style of hulking brutes. I wanted something closer to the description in the Silmariolian...corrupt beings,  scavengers armed with whatever they find. I used a mish mash of Egyptians, Romans and Samurai to get a chaotic horde feel. Painted the skin oranage brown and sliced off the noses to give a more beast like look.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:54:03 AM by spud »

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 01:46:36 AM »
I like your armies! Mass has a charm all its own! I own all those soft plastic figs. Been buying and painting them since the early70's. All you need to do to prevent flaking is wash the figs in warm, soapy water. Prime with Rustoleum Plastic Spray primer. Seal with Plasti-dip clear rubberized spray. You will NOT be able to make the figs shed paint! I have some that are 15-20 years old with zero flaking problems.
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 01:51:14 AM »
Thanks! Will look into that...one more
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:45:41 AM by spud »

Offline noigrim

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 09:45:07 PM »
red box! red box! :'(

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 04:38:58 AM »
I always felt the GW black orcs looked like the ROTK armored trolls. Love how they tower over the troops

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 04:40:29 AM »
one more

Offline spud

• Assistant
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
Hey all. Here is someone you should recognize. A Reaper Bones DnD Pit Fiend...felt he looked pretty close to the classic image of a Balrog. They have a few demons that work well...loving Bones...they are so cheap and characterful. This guys was under 10 bucks. With some orcs for scale.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 03:29:04 AM »
Ooh, wings! Don't let Hobgoblin see it.  lol ;)

Nice work on that. I like the way the contrast in colours (brown wash over a yellow basecoat?) makes the textures pop.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 08:16:20 AM »
Ooh, wings! Don't let Hobgoblin see it.  lol ;)

I shall refrain from comment, except to say that these massed forces look terrific!  ;)

Nice work on that. I like the way the contrast in colours (brown wash over a yellow basecoat?) makes the textures pop.

And to agree with that!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
As a fellow proxy figure user for Tolkien inspired armies I salute your endeavours in 1/72 scale. In particular your use of varying scales for the monsters and beasties like Ents and Trolls from 25/28mm ranges. The overall massed effect is tremendous.
It is a refreshing challenge to create your own take on the books which I have personally enjoyed immensely. There are a few of us about and MerlintheMad on this forum has been inspirational to me over the years and I'm sure would not object to the plug of his excellent website
http://larsen-family.us/~1066/pelennor.html
with some interesting suggestions for historical equivalents
http://larsen-family.us/~1066/melists.html
Don't forget the various Gondorian levies that came in a variety of guises like the "three hundreds of gallant green-clad men" from Pinnath Gelin, and Forlong the Fat and his hillmen from Lossarnach "well-armed and bearing great battle-axes" I would have thought Saxo/Vikings would suit for Forlong and his band while Crusades or 100yw era archers and men at arms would suit for the remainder.
I have always believed Tolkien's writings were a product of his time as well as his scholarship of myths and legends. You could draw upon these for sourcing figures for your 1/72 armies. The Ithilien rangers were so clearly inspired by 'Robin Hood', while the Haradrim reminded me of the saracens from tales like 'Ivanhoe' and the 'Song of Roland'. I always thought the use of black and white as emblems of Gondor were strongly evocative of the Crusading orders like the Templars and Hospitallers. Easterlings could so easily be proxied by Huns or other steppe nomads.
If I had this project to do I'd probably use Normans for the Rohirrim. The description of Saruman's Uruk legions also strongly reminded me of Imperial Romans and I was particularly pleased with their rendition in the films. I particularly like your take on the orcs... an amorphous polyglot horde of humanoids. I see Romans and barbarians feature. Don't forget Sarumans use of Dunlendings, both mounted and infantry which could be any number of Dark age warriors. I'm scouting around for proxies atm for my 25mm armies. The Morgul army in the books had a host of black clad cavalry that were not solely wraiths but men allied to Sauron. You could field a unit of Teutonic knights that would also suit that purpose we methinks.
As for the mighty Mumaks, you could do no better than contact the guys at Aventine miniatures. Their 28mm metal heffalumps are absolutely gorgeous
https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/
https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/elephants/
Converted 1/72 cavalrymen could serve as mahouts and various infantry as howdah crew. If you sourced 1/72 elephants you could even use the smaller animals as beasts of burden to pull/push siege engines etc. while using the crews as is on the larger beasties...
The rest of the Haradrim could easily be draw form El Cid, Arab conquest and Crusading ranges with Carthaginians, Persians, Numidians etc thrown in for good measure...
The possibilities are endless, particularly given the popularity of 1/72. I find myself looking longingly at all the box sets arrayed in my local model stores and bemoaning the dearth of ranges when I first started gaming back in the day...
I look forward to seeing how this project progresses

Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains