Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Want to build a Melnibone' army for Dragon Rampant, but...  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Want to build a Melnibone' army for Dragon Rampant, but...
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
...the cost of the original Citadel Melniboneans and the various characters (Elric,Moonglum, etc.) are prohibitively expensive. While I don't mind dropping some cash for Elric and Moonglum, the cost of the rank and file makes my wallet cringe and go hide in the corner. Any suggestions for converting some Melniboneans?
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
Re: Want to build a Melnibone' army for Dragon Rampant, but...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
Foundry elves have a nice decadent feel about them.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:28:02 PM »
Foundry elves have a nice decadent feel about them.

Unfortunately, the Foundry Revenant Elves are no longer on their website. Thanks for the thought, though.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »
The Foundry Elves are one option I considered for my own Melniboneans. Maybe they're still coming back under the Warmonger imprint, but for now they're off the first-hand market as far as I can tell.

I do own one solitary Foundry elf, and that figure is very tall and bulky (the bulk is because of the clothes). I don't know what size the old GW Elric figures are, but given their age I'd be somewhat concerned that they might be on the smaller side and therefore might not mix well with the Foundry elves. I can't claim to know this for certain, mind.

Just yesterday I ordered some Black Tree Design high elves which I might or might not convert into Melniboneans, I'll decide later - for now I just wanted to order them because BTD seems to just be selling off its old stock of fantasy figures by this point and not casting them anymore, and I'm pretty sure I'll want to use the figures for either elves or Melniboneans at some point later, so I decided to be on the safe side and just order some of them now. Plus, they were 40% off. Obviously I don't have them yet, so can't speak to their size.

That still leaves me with the more difficult question of how to represent Pan Tangians. I'd like to imitate the look of the old Citadel ones somehow, but it'll take some converting. I ordered a few BTD Shadow Elves while I was at it, and I'm thinking of converting the less slim-looking ones into Pan Tangians by swapping their heads for bearded ones from some historical Dark Ages plastic set, or something along those lines. Might just end up a disaster...
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
Ral Partha Eurpoe can be a good fit:

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:32 PM »
Unfortunately, the Foundry Revenant Elves are no longer on their website. Thanks for the thought, though.

They sell them in their shop, as I have heared, and you could also try to contact them if you could get some, but I have to say, I tried that and haven't got any answer from them  :?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:14:22 PM »
Celtos Sidhe make the perfect Melniboneans. Lovely dragon riders too, but they need wings added.

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

My bad, seems the Flyte of Fantasy ebay store foundry ran is empty too. Foundry are pretty good at letting you order items no longer advertised though with a phone call.
How about some of the old heartbreaker elves, especially those by Chaz Elliot?
RPE still carry them iirc

or the mirlton high elves?
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-high-elves

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »
I used Reaper's Vale line of elves by Werner Klocke for my Melniboneans.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=65268.msg788381#msg788381

Nice! Pointy ears, though...?

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:34 PM »
I do own one solitary Foundry elf, and that figure is very tall and bulky (the bulk is because of the clothes). I don't know what size the old GW Elric figures are, but given their age I'd be somewhat concerned that they might be on the smaller side and therefore might not mix well with the Foundry elves. I can't claim to know this for certain, mind.

The GW Elric figures are quite big - like those rather tall and strapping Jez Goodwin elves of the same period. Here's a photo of Elric with a Gripping Beast viking and a Citadel half-orc, for scale:

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 10:09:11 PM »
Nice! Pointy ears, though...?

There should be at least a hint of pointedness, so I think you could get a way with a bit of artistic licence:

"Like Elric, his ears were thin, near lobeless and coming almost to a point."

(The Bane of the Black Sword)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
See my thread 'Warfare in the Young Kingdoms' from way back...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains