Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gunbird travels the Wasteland (17-8 Changes!)  (Read 35049 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Gunbird travels the Wasteland (17-8 Changes!)
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »
Was bound to happen someday, have been collecting bits and pieces for it over the years but always held back "cause no one games it here". Realised that is a bit pointless as I'm a builder and painter first and if I can actually play a game with them, well, all the better, but not neccesary. Decided to move away from my 20mm Stalker stuff for now and head over into the 28mm TNT direction.

My 40K bikes will be Wasteland trash. Opened the filler caps on 3 of the 4. Bit bug but works

I think they need a bit more, but not sure what. Anyone?

Also, as I saw mentioned that Cars cars in 1/54 seem to work, I picked up 2 of them.
Anyone know how to remove those faces other then grinding them off? Size wise these are great.

I'll clean em, sand them and base them up to get painted soon. Als picked up a rather large toy to use as a scenic piece but I will do some work on that before I show it. Lot's of work.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:13:29 PM by Gunbird »
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
Re: Gunbird travels the Wasteland
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:25:51 AM »
I go for the zvezda Doc Hudson model myself, snap-fit plastic that can be shaped up with a dremel.
Good job getting the BCB securitron, seems like that guy might be hard to come by soon..

Nice arch sissy bar on the bike. Wish those plastic biker sprues would come out already so I can fill my ranks out with them.

Nice job so far. Always gutting to see models coming together without the promise of games to take part in (like most of my collection!) but it looks like you enjoy what you do. c:

On the bikes, I would personally strip down the plate across the back. Completely remove the mudguard from pipe to pipe and build in a simple, smaller one with some plastic strip or pipe cut in half. Maybe take the consoles off of the front and throw some more traditional bits together. Make them all different too ;)
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 06:17:51 AM »
Great start! I'd say the bikes could use a bit of stowage on the back, but (going along with your open filler caps) you could green stuff them to be emptied bags; as if they'd been rummaged through already, just be hanging off the back.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
Great start. :)

I have a few GW bikes in the works for F3 motorbikes too.

Regarding the smiley faces, dremel back a bit, and millyputty in the recess. I generally build up the bumper a little.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »
That is so cool! If my boys ever get tired of playing with their VAST collection of Cars toys, I know what will happen to them! Hahaha!!!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »
I think they need a bit more, but not sure what. Anyone?

Google pictures of ratbikes...

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
Google pictures of ratbikes...

:o Good call!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »
Nice saw them on the PA Forums great start.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
Thx for the hint Michi, I saw some lovely stuff!  :D

Well, not happy with the first 2 cars right now, due to the damage and the busted axles and the fact I overpaid for them (with my very limited funds overpaying is a big no-no). Having said that, I'll snip off the wheels anyway and base them, plus I'll do some heavy sanding around the chips and cracked paint (I'm not going to strip them, just sand for extra grip and basecoat again). Also, now that I know where to look I'm finding the correct Cars cars for 2 euros a pop on the second hand market. Jay. Better sell some more stuff fast.

Also, thx to a friend with a colour laser printer I got a few sheets of these:

Which will do for scenery and paper trash on the floor. I have another buddy with a colour laser printer print me a sheet of Fallout magazines (courtsey of a link I found I one of you guys topics) and some more billboards, and as soon as I have those I will spend some time measuring up billboards to fit them. And try out that weathering tutorial for laserprinted stuff.

Offline Bushbaby

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »
Great and innovative idea to use the Disney cars!

Offline Bazhell

• Assistant
  • Train the Brain - Use it or Lose it
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »
Also, now that I know where to look I'm finding the correct Cars cars for 2 euros a pop on the second hand market.

Care to share? pretty please o_o

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 09:50:49 AM »
Won't do you any good mate, it's on Marktplaats, a eBay clone without all the eBay bullcrap but without proper buyer protection, Dutch speaking only and most will not ship outside the Netherlands. I'm guessing they are so cheap now as this weekend is Sinterklaas and people are trying to dump their unwanted toys asap, seeing as most Cars are from 2006-2009 and their kids by now have tired from them.

It's not like I have any choice in the matter, if I want period feel cars I can buy US Oldtimers at 10 pounds a pop plus shipping from abroad, or these Cars cars for 2 euro a piece and having them stuffed in a local envelope. Bit of a no brainer with my small and limited budget. They are not perfect but I think I can make them work.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 10:48:44 PM »
This is the last pic you will see from me in a while. I had a run in with a Prius on friday and I'm a bit beat up. I can't use a mouse for more then a minute, let alone hold a brush or a knife so I'm taking a few days (or more) of sick leave. Finished the first set of junk (detailed pics later)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:59:52 PM »
Here's to a speedy recovery....

Lovely work on those rubble pieces.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 11:15:28 PM »
Looks great, and yet again I am sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you make a speedy recovery
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous